NRL clubs relocating to Queensland hub (Merged Threads)

Just been announced during the Cronulla v Warriors game. More details soon, but it sounds like a big operation.

The Origin squad may not be able to go home after match 3.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Let's just put some context on this in comparison to the situation over here, the NRL have ordered 12 clubs to relocate to Qld by Wednesday each to take 30 player's and 11 staff initially for one month but to the end of season if necessary, their accommodation, training facilities etc to be paid for by the NRL. If they have to stay longer than 4 weeks the NRL will assist with relocating families if required.

What's driving this is a outbreak in NSW where ONE death from the virus has occurred on Saturday of a 90 year old, the first death this year. The State Premier is issuing dire warnings that the total of new cases may hit the hundred mark on monday! Meanwhile our plan is to double vaccinate enough people to overcome spread whilst daily deaths hover around the 30 mark and new cases climb upwards from 30,000 a day. Australia has a vaccine uptake of less than 10% and there is a suggested gap of 8 weeks between jabs.

Who's still confident of the World Cup taking place this year?

2 hours ago, Farmduck said:

Fancy putting that question to him. What a jerk. 

That news should have been delivered by his club and he deserved to hear it, without a camera sitting in his face, being asked his reaction.

He answered it like a champ. I really like SJ. He’s one of the good guys.

2 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

@Clogiron, it will not proceed mate. I am certain the Australian based players who have been (mostly) living in intense bubbles for near on two seasons, will kibosh the tournament.

I agree entirely with you SP, from the time it first became a issue early last year that's been my opinion and subsequent events have only strengthened that view. Those who have spent money on tickets, travel & accommodation obviously have more money than common sense or little previous knowledge of attitudes in Australia.

The NRL will relocate every team to Queensland for at least 4 weeks as it seeks to avert a total shutdown due to increasing Covid-19 infection rates.

Each Club will move into 1 of 4 Rugby League Hubs and will be allowed to relocate 41 members of staff. To make this possible, players will be allowed to move their family members after they serve a 14 day quarantine period, this will be paid for by the NRL.

All this is being done following a study which revealed a total shutdown would cost the game at least $25 Million per week while the cost of relocating is $10 Million per week. Irrespective of the avoidance of the potential losses, this will cost the NRL at least $40 Million, this has been a strong decisive action by the NRL.

This is unprecedented and has been a huge decision following the foresight of the NRL to Commission the study. It also serves as an example of the difference between the RFL and the NRL  in terms of strong leadership as well as illustrating the huge difference in the financial power of each of the two main Rugby League competitions.

1 hour ago, OMEGA said:

This is unprecedented and has been a huge decision following the foresight of the NRL to Commission the study. It also serves as an example of the difference between the RFL and the NRL  in terms of strong leadership as well as illustrating the huge difference in the financial power of each of the two main Rugby League competitions.

I think this is significant. I like bagging the RFL as much as anyone but I wonder if they might be more proactive and creative if they had the cash to play with. It also shows the benefit of getting outsiders to come in and manage the game like a business without the baggage of decades-long back-scratching with club bosses.

• John Drake changed the title to NRL clubs relocating to Queensland hub (Merged Threads)

Archived