PNG Players who've played in England

Just now, Mumby Magic said:

Who was to he first?

Which my what now?

• Haha 3

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

21 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

Lol. First player to come over.

I think Stanley Gene may well have been the first. Him and the other player signed by HKR at the same time (after the 1995 RWC), whose name I can't remember right now.

Edited by Futtocks

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

6 minutes ago, Waynebennettswinger said:

Was that Gene? Did he come over with John Okul? Might be my memory playing tricks
Stanley Gene’s biography was a good read, some funny tales in there about adapting to life in England. 

Thanks for jogging the memory. It was John Okul who signed at the same time as Stanley. I thought it was David Buko.

Gene's autobiography is a belter. There's some very moving stuff about his family, contrasting with some bits that are totally barking mad and very funny. You find out what happened in Steve McNamara's Volvo, how not to fish like J.R.Hartley, why there's a policeman in Goroka who is deaf in one ear, how to kill a pig with a club and also learn about his two mothers.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Thanks for jogging the memory. It was John Okul who signed at the same time as Stanley. I thought it was David Buko.

Gene's autobiography is a belter. There's some very moving stuff about his family, contrasting with some bits that are totally barking mad and very funny. You find out what happened in Steve McNamara's Volvo, how not to fish like J.R.Hartley, why there's a policeman in Goroka who is deaf in one ear, how to kill a pig with a club and also learn about his two mothers.

I seem to remember a story about a bidet in the chairman’s house as well 😂

15 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

Ahh yeah top player. Didn't he start at Bramley.

Came to Bramley in 99 after the Gold Coast Chargers folded, and went on to play for Oldham, Salford, Warrington, Sheffield and in France with Pia. He even managed to play alongside Adrian Lam in the halves for the Rest of the World against the ARL Australian team in 1997.