Video Referee at Every Match?

I recently recalled reading that every Super League match from this season would have a big screen and video referee from 2022.

I asked the question on Twitter whether this is happening and journalist Ian Laybourn had kindly looked into this. In short, not happening any more.

I don't think there was ever a plan for screens at every game was there? Just the video ref.

Not a surprise it's been deferred; it's an expensive business that doesn't really have a huge amount of benefits.

Having seen a decent amount of football games where VAR has been used and remembering the couple of occasions I went to watch televised lower league games when Premier Sports had the coverage, any implementation of video referee use in Super League needs to include screens visible for fans attending the game, as it’s a completely different experience when you’re just stood around for a few minutes knowing a decision is likely very close or contentious and not being able to see it again. 

I appreciate that’s an added expense but matchday experience is key and this needs to be a consideration. 

Shame it’s not happening. All games should have the same tools available to the referees. It’s a great system when it’s available, but it was originally just a gimmick to show off in the first season of super league, rather than to improve the reffing.

Best way to do it would be to have all games televised 😊

EDIT: Ian Laybourn said it won’t be in place at the start of the season. Maybe it will still be happening in 2022? 

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

20 minutes ago, Jughead said:

as it’s a completely different experience when you’re just stood around for a few minutes knowing a decision is likely very close or contentious and not being able to see it again. 

Back in the early days of VAR, didn’t we have a system without a screen in use at BBC cup games? I seem to remember a green or red light indicator that would indicate to the ref what the VAR had decided? 

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

29 minutes ago, M j M said:

I don't think there was ever a plan for screens at every game was there? Just the video ref.

Not a surprise it's been deferred; it's an expensive business that doesn't really have a huge amount of benefits.

I was hoping the broadcasting of more games would help offset the cost eventually!

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Is the cost that much though? Coaches have imediate access to replays, now I get that its only 1 extra angle although im sure it could be extended to 2 if need be but its better than just having the ref's immediate call. If its inconclusive then just go with the on field decision. In a modern age its really not that difficult to do and the main cost would likely be in personel rather than technology.

Archived