Blake Ferguson

3 minutes ago, Cardypaul said:

Most fans do, certainly of the championship clubs 

I don’t know about what percentage the split works out at and it’s a bit of a boring, ambiguous discussion anyway but it’s certainly not unanimous. 

43 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Fan don’t, well not unanimously anyway. 

Well no but it’s mainly internet dreamers detached from reality who think that there are ‘big city’ clubs ready go into super league at the expense of those that they see as unworthy. I never hear anyone say Burnley should be kicked out of the premier league to get Bristol City in, it’s only rugby league fans who despise their own towns and clubs.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Well no but it’s mainly internet dreamers detached from reality who think that there are ‘big city’ clubs ready go into super league at the expense of those that they see as unworthy. I never hear anyone say Burnley should be kicked out of the premier league to get Bristol City in, it’s only rugby league fans who despise their own towns and clubs.

That post went in a very odd direction. 

29 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Whilst not exclusively, it seems to be SL fans don’t want P&L and Championship fans do. With some notable exceptions on both sides. 
Odd isn’t it?

and the SL fans who do want it tend to support teams who would be ‘safe’. 

Edited by Tubby

45 minutes ago, Tubby said:

Whilst not exclusively, it seems to be SL fans don’t want P&L and Championship fans do. With some notable exceptions on both sides. 
Odd isn’t it?

and the SL fans who do want it tend to support teams who would be ‘safe’. 

Is that right though? Even Wakey fans must realise not having relegation would leave the bottom end of the comp absolutely meaningless. 

3 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Is that right though? Even Wakey fans must realise not having relegation would leave the bottom end of the comp absolutely meaningless. 

Possibly, but from a purely selfish point of view, would you prefer relatively meaningless or the possibility of relegation. When SL spent so long as a closed shop in one way or another, you must get used to a certain degree of safety. The threat of relegation must be a worry. 

On the other hand, when you’ve spent almost 30 years effectively locked out, the threat of relegation is an acceptable risk to be allowed the opportunity at the top. 

10 minutes ago, Tubby said:

Possibly, but from a purely selfish point of view, would you prefer relatively meaningless or the possibility of relegation. When SL spent so long as a closed shop in one way or another, you must get used to a certain degree of safety. The threat of relegation must be a worry. 

On the other hand, when you’ve spent almost 30 years effectively locked out, the threat of relegation is an acceptable risk to be allowed the opportunity at the top. 

Relatively meaningless, every day of the week. Not every game has to matter or have something riding on it. Between 2011-2021, all of the current eleven Super League sides have finished in the top six at least once and potentially in a week’s time we could have ten of eleven Super League clubs who compete in the Challenge Cup as finalists in the last nine finals, so I struggle with the argument that some games will have no meaning, that happens under any league format you choose. 

A clear line drawn between the professional clubs and those that aren’t would just be a massive step in the right direction. 

23 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Relatively meaningless, every day of the week. Not every game has to matter or have something riding on it. Between 2011-2021, all of the current eleven Super League sides have finished in the top six at least once and potentially in a week’s time we could have ten of eleven Super League clubs who compete in the Challenge Cup as finalists in the last nine finals, so I struggle with the argument that some games will have no meaning, that happens under any league format you choose. 

A clear line drawn between the professional clubs and those that aren’t would just be a massive step in the right direction. 

I’m not sure I inferred every game must have meaning, my point is quite clear, those inside looking out would prefer to maintain the status quo; whereas those outside looking in would like the opportunity at the top table. As I said initially, this is not exclusively true, there are notable exceptions on here, but on the whole, it seems to be the case. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Let ALL TEAMS who can afford to do so have academies irrespective of which division they are in.

I can’t understand a philosophy that doesn’t want to have as many kids as possible playing the game to the highest level they can.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Cardypaul said:

I can’t understand a philosophy that doesn’t want to have as many kids as possible playing the game to the highest level they can.

It’s because it would massively harm the community game, without which rugby league in England would be pretty much finished. 

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It’s because it would massively harm the community game, without which rugby league in England would be pretty much finished. 

Interesting that. Please explain Eddie.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Do you mean like if Wigan or Saints did not have access to Lads from Leigh they would be gathering in more from their own towns, same with Leeds, Cas or Wakey who hoover up those from Dewsbury, Batley and Fev? And what about the Cumbrian lads of the Workington, Whitehaven or Barrow area's, in fact all towns that produce player's via the community game.

Yes I really appreciate your concerns Eddie, but the way the RFL select club's to be granted a licence and all the additional benefits that go along with it, are basically denying those left out the basis to grow their club's from within, not all club's would take up the offer but for those who wish too they should be offered the opportunity to do so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I agree that there are issues with that being the case there has been for years. The majority of kids who go to academies won’t make it and the problem is making sure they are not lost to the game. Maybe there needs to be closer links with clubs and their local pro clubs to make moving between the 2 more fluid.

It would also help if we put more money and attention into the community game instead of SL clubs getting all the money.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Do you mean like if Wigan or Saints did not have access to Lads from Leigh they would be gathering in more from their own towns, same with Leeds, Cas or Wakey who hoover up those from Dewsbury, Batley and Fev? And what about the Cumbrian lads of the Workington, Whitehaven or Barrow area's, in fact all towns that produce player's via the community game.

Yes I really appreciate your concerns Eddie, but the way the RFL select club's to be granted a licence and all the additional benefits that go along with it, are basically denying those left out the basis to grow their club's from within, not all club's would take up the offer but for those who wish too they should be offered the opportunity to do so.

I completely agree with everything you say, I was just explaining the reason why the RFL have made the decision. I’d like anyone to be allowed an academy but those players are still encouraged to play for their community club also. 

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I completely agree with everything you say, I was just explaining the reason why the RFL have made the decision. I’d like anyone to be allowed an academy but those players are still encouraged to play for their community club also. 

If the RFL and Rugby League clubs were in General Industry, they would not leave the supply chain for their main commodities to happen by chance, they would ensure they had a steady flow of the products they require to keep the buisness flowing by investment and guidance.

This model the RFL operates in that club's with Academy Licences needent have to prioritise on assisting the supply chain in their area just allows them to be unconcerned in that they will get what they need anyway.

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Barrow seem to be reaping the benefits of having a tie up with the local college in developing young players,nothing stopping Leigh doing likewise.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Barrow seem to be reaping the benefits of having a tie up with the local college in developing young players,nothing stopping Leigh doing likewise.

The proximity of Wigan and saints’ academies doesn’t help them tbf. 

26 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Leigh do Dav, it is situated at the LSV, last time I looked the problem is there are to few games and the standard is not that very good.

But surely, with the Leigh club offering to kickstart their academy with £400K why should the RFL turn them down if not to pacify the other local SL clubs? Wigan signed 8 Leigh lads to their Scholarship last season, and last week at Cas 4 of the Saints youngsters who played were Leigh East lads.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

No but they sign the best ones, whereas Barrow don’t have that close competition from big clubs. 

So you think the top clubs don’t look tosign the best players from Barrow ?

12 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

So you think the top clubs don’t look tosign the best players from Barrow ?

Of course they do, but quite clearly they sign more players from closer by (ie Saints and Wigan sign more players from Leigh than they do from Barrow).