Jump to content

Town going down....to where?


Recommended Posts

Obviously Worky Town are already in danger of the dreaded drop......but to where?

I can see big signs that below Superleague there will be just another Division - I'm not the first to suspect this.

I mean look at today's League One results - there was three score-lines which saw three teams total 230 points, with opponents hitting back with 4.

Honestly scores like 96-0 should have no place in this fantastic game of Rugby League....it's just not good for the sport.

So disagree if you wish but I'm of the opinion that there are a handful of current Division One clubs who need to step back into local amateur leagues and they might prosper better at that level?

There are clubs in the current Div One without decent facilities - I would include these in the aforementioned 'handful'......

Rugby League is a marvellous spectacle when competition is fierce, but massacres need to become things of the past - and below Superleague just one more Division is the sensible answer.

Would I write in this vein if Town were flying high in the Championship........in truth yes I would.

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites


23 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Obviously Worky Town are already in danger of the dreaded drop......but to where?

I can see big signs that below Superleague there will be just another Division - I'm not the first to suspect this.

I mean look at today's League One results - there was three score-lines which saw three teams total 230 points, with opponents hitting back with 4.

Honestly scores like 96-0 should have no place in this fantastic game of Rugby League....it's just not good for the sport.

So disagree if you wish but I'm of the opinion that there are a handful of current Division One clubs who need to step back into local amateur leagues and they might prosper better at that level?

There are clubs in the current Div One without decent facilities - I would include these in the aforementioned 'handful'......

Rugby League is a marvellous spectacle when competition is fierce, but massacres need to become things of the past - and below Superleague just one more Division is the sensible answer.

Would I write in this vein if Town were flying high in the Championship........in truth yes I would.

 

 

Needs franchised Keith.

looking back I think Maurice Lindsey had the right idea when he wanted to create an elite superleague competition 

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Obviously Worky Town are already in danger of the dreaded drop......but to where?

I can see big signs that below Superleague there will be just another Division - I'm not the first to suspect this.

I mean look at today's League One results - there was three score-lines which saw three teams total 230 points, with opponents hitting back with 4.

Honestly scores like 96-0 should have no place in this fantastic game of Rugby League....it's just not good for the sport.

So disagree if you wish but I'm of the opinion that there are a handful of current Division One clubs who need to step back into local amateur leagues and they might prosper better at that level?

There are clubs in the current Div One without decent facilities - I would include these in the aforementioned 'handful'......

Rugby League is a marvellous spectacle when competition is fierce, but massacres need to become things of the past - and below Superleague just one more Division is the sensible answer.

Would I write in this vein if Town were flying high in the Championship........in truth yes I would.

 

 

 Needs to go to two leagues. This current system does cumbrian clubs and others no favours and never will. Increase SL with some of the big budget championship clubs,and no disrespect intended, but some at the bottom of C1 need moved down into a more realistic  competition for themselves. Then form 2 leagues.

Edited by town4me
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, chromedome said:

Obviously Worky Town are already in danger of the dreaded drop......but to where?

I can see big signs that below Superleague there will be just another Division - I'm not the first to suspect this.

I mean look at today's League One results - there was three score-lines which saw three teams total 230 points, with opponents hitting back with 4.

Honestly scores like 96-0 should have no place in this fantastic game of Rugby League....it's just not good for the sport.

So disagree if you wish but I'm of the opinion that there are a handful of current Division One clubs who need to step back into local amateur leagues and they might prosper better at that level?

There are clubs in the current Div One without decent facilities - I would include these in the aforementioned 'handful'......

Rugby League is a marvellous spectacle when competition is fierce, but massacres need to become things of the past - and below Superleague just one more Division is the sensible answer.

Would I write in this vein if Town were flying high in the Championship........in truth yes I would.

 

 

Agreed - poor league with scores like that, no place in RL for blow outs - just like the Melbourne v Newcastle game when Melbourne put 50 points on Newcastle... just like Lg1 the NRL is a joke of a league.....🤔

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree two expanded leagues is the way to go . Take Fev and Leigh out , keep Toulouse in SL to make 14 . Expand the championship with the top few in league one . After they emasculated it  a few years back that comp has become less and less viable and it was just made an afterthought 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

I agree two expanded leagues is the way to go . Take Fev and Leigh out , keep Toulouse in SL to make 14 . Expand the championship with the top few in league one . After they emasculated it  a few years back that comp has become less and less viable and it was just made an afterthought 

I agree David, but unfortunately that would be applying common sense and that appears to be something the rfl are seriously lacking in. Furthermore I can’t see super league clubs wanting to share their monetary pie anymore than they have to. I fear the decisions that are taken will see a number of historic and long established clubs cease to exist. Some may say, given the crowds those clubs attract, they will be no great loss, but each of those clubs is embedded in the community and do good work. Hopefully we aren’t one of them but if, as seems likely,  we are relegated then I can’t see a very bright future unfortunately. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you don’t relegate the bottom team in SL and take out Fev and Leigh it also makes the Championship more competitive . Teams should also get equal funding rather than having a build in bias from day one 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Agreed - poor league with scores like that, no place in RL for blow outs - just like the Melbourne v Newcastle game when Melbourne put 50 points on Newcastle... just like Lg1 the NRL is a joke of a league.....🤔

Agree - but you will always get the odd blowout like widnes v town and fev v widnes lately.

But where teams are getting blown away weekly then something needs done.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

Needs franchised Keith.

looking back I think Maurice Lindsey had the right idea when he wanted to create an elite superleague competition 

NO!

Cant stop Promotion and relegation.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Derwent Parker said:

Agree - but you will always get the odd blowout like widnes v town and fev v widnes lately.

But where teams are getting blown away weekly then something needs done.

Every team in the NRL has at least two wins after 8 rounds 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, town4me said:

 Needs to go to two leagues. This current system does cumbrian clubs and others no favours and never will. Increase SL with some of the big budget championship clubs,and no disrespect intended, but some at the bottom of C1 need moved down into a more realistic  competition for themselves. Then form 2 leagues.

Back in 70s,80s and up till SL it was always 2 x 16.  A few years the second division was higher as and when new teams came and went [Kent/Nottingham etc] - This always worked  both leagues playing 30 games.

They dont want it now because it means top teams in playoffs would have too many games.

Teams at bottom dont have to many games especially L1

If done today with 16 in SL it would leave 21 for Div2 a bit more awkward but could be done by someone a little cleverer than me.

i e top 5 dont play bottom 5 at all [stopping a few blowouts] and teams 6 to 16 would have to play some matches only home or away in their fixtures to make 30 games.

If in future a team goes you only have to alter div 2 fixtures not the league format.

Waste of time really talking about any of this because it is always a none starter because ANYTHING that means SL teams having to take less money [share it out] is out of the question

Edited by Derwent Parker
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, IanMac said:

I agree David, but unfortunately that would be applying common sense and that appears to be something the rfl are seriously lacking in. Furthermore I can’t see super league clubs wanting to share their monetary pie anymore than they have to. I fear the decisions that are taken will see a number of historic and long established clubs cease to exist. Some may say, given the crowds those clubs attract, they will be no great loss, but each of those clubs is embedded in the community and do good work. Hopefully we aren’t one of them but if, as seems likely,  we are relegated then I can’t see a very bright future unfortunately. 

Got to be careful here if any of the Super Greed clubs supporters see this comment they will go ballistic like last time on the  League Restructure Thread  this shot up to almost 100 pages - with SL fans coming up with just about every reason under sun to avoid any change which meant them getting a penny less from central funding.

I think you will remember cos I'm sure you and DKW took part in that.

It all started i believe when Martyn Sadler Rugby Leaguer came up with a new idea to regionalise the leagues.

I thought there were some good ideas but would have some short term misery when mixing the leagues up, but involved sharing the Central funding so as far as SL was concerned was illegal and they tried to tear Martyn a new one but got no further than insulting him cos couldn't beat him in a discussion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, DavidM said:

If you don’t relegate the bottom team in SL and take out Fev and Leigh it also makes the Championship more competitive . Teams should also get equal funding rather than having a build in bias from day one 

Being saying this for years.

Teams should all get equal funding rather than having a build in bias from day one 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The game needs some stability as there isn’t the player pool in the UK to support 3 professional divisions.

My opinion, (even though it has no influence), would be to put clubs on 24 months notice that the game is being streamlined into 2 divisions - Superleague could be 14 and championship could be 16.

A condition of entry must be that each team must run a reserve team and must also have a full time development / commercial arm to work alongside the community game to improve coaching and identity talent through representative games as well as being in sponsorship.

the RFL must also link up with a university to develop their own marketing course which could be ran over a number of weeks which is specifically for sports sponsorship.

as a game we struggle to attract the right calibre of people with the right skill sects into the game, so it would be easier to train and develop our own personnel within the game

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, DavidM said:

I agree two expanded leagues is the way to go . Take Fev and Leigh out , keep Toulouse in SL to make 14 . Expand the championship with the top few in league one . After they emasculated it  a few years back that comp has become less and less viable and it was just made an afterthought 

You would, of course, have the same opinion if Town were currently slumbering around the bottom of C1.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Derwent Parker said:

Got to be careful here if any of the Super Greed clubs supporters see this comment they will go ballistic like last time on the  League Restructure Thread  this shot up to almost 100 pages - with SL fans coming up with just about every reason under sun to avoid any change which meant them getting a penny less from central funding.

I think you will remember cos I'm sure you and DKW took part in that.

It all started i believe when Martyn Sadler Rugby Leaguer came up with a new idea to regionalise the leagues.

I thought there were some good ideas but would have some short term misery when mixing the leagues up, but involved sharing the Central funding so as far as SL was concerned was illegal and they tried to tear Martyn a new one but got no further than insulting him cos couldn't beat him in a discussion.

Just in case you missed it previously A future structure for Rugby League competitions – TotalRL.com | Rugby League Express | Rugby League World

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I sometimes think Martyn Sadler writes these articles to invoke a reaction and discussion from his readers, but people take his proposals seriously and it just ends up as the usual arguments around promotion and relegation rather than looking at the wider game and the issues it faces now and in the future 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

You would, of course, have the same opinion if Town were currently slumbering around the bottom of C1.

We wouldn’t be with the teams there would we ? 

Edited by DavidM
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

I sometimes think Martyn Sadler writes these articles to invoke a reaction and discussion from his readers, but people take his proposals seriously and it just ends up as the usual arguments around promotion and relegation rather than looking at the wider game and the issues it faces now and in the future 

If you read it properly it makes a lot of sense.

It does away with P&R because it is not required - therefore no bankruptcy if relegated or losing all your players because they want to be in a higher league

there are a lot of derbies guaranteed 

it is based on 36 teams because it was prior to Cornwall entering.

BUT IT WAS A NONE STARTER BECAUSE IT SHARED THE MONEY BETTER. and that was all the SL supporters saw and picked fault at everything to justify their greed.

In our case our conference would be 

Conference 1 (Western Conference)

St Helens

Warrington Wolves

Whitehaven

Widnes Vikings

Barrow Raiders

Workington Town

 

League Structure

Under this structure each team will play 25 league fixtures as follows, before play-offs to determine the Grand Finalists.

Five matches at home and five away against each of the other teams in its Conference, giving ten matches in total.

Another 15 matches as follows:

To create fixtures, in each Conference the teams will be ranked one to six in the order in which they finished the previous season.

Team 1 in each Conference will play one match against Teams 1, 2 and 3 in each of the other five Conferences.

Team 2 in each Conference will play one match against Teams 1, 2 and 4 in each of the other five Conferences.

Team 3 in each Conference will play one match against Teams 1, 3 and 5 in each of the other five Conferences.

Team 4 in each Conference will play one match against Teams 2, 4 and 6 in each of the other five Conferences.

Team 4 in each Conference will play one match against Teams 2, 4 and 6 in each of the other five Conferences.

Team 5 in each Conference will play one match against Teams 3, 5 and 6 in each of the other five Conferences.

Team 6 in each Conference will play one match against Teams 4, 5 and 6 in each of the other five Conferences.

This structure means that when clubs play opponents from the other Conferences, they are likely more often than not to be matched reasonably evenly.

Problem area - CF

But if we assume that the amount available for distribution next year would be £24 million in total, then that would become £4 million to the six clubs in each Conference.

If the distribution were to be allocated in accordance with finishing positions in the previous season, the following is just one potential example:

Team 1: £1.28 million (32%)

Team 2: £1.04 million (26%)

Team 3: £800,000 (20%)

Team 4: £560,000 (14%)

Team 5: £320,000 (8%)

Team 6: £80,000 (2%).

In this case, each rise of one position in the table would be worth £240,000 and the distribution would give each club a major incentive to climb its own Conference table, but doesn’t put pressure on it to overspend in order to attain an old-fashioned promotion.

And that is where the problem was even though the SL team [1] would be getting 1.2 million more than team 6 it wasn't enough - THEY WANT IT ALL - HENCE SUPER GREED WHO ARE KILLING THE GAME

 

Edited by Derwent Parker
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Really hope that the club is making moves to ensure that those players who have shown that they can cope at championship level are tied up for next season, which would hopefully get the club promotion at first attempt if they do go down. It's just a shame that as the lads are getting up to the level needed ,games are starting to run out ,still plenty to play for though

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 02/05/2022 at 15:27, DavidM said:

We wouldn’t be with the teams there would we ? 

Very evasive DM - imagine if such a decision were taken in a season where you did happen to be "down there", would you hold the same view?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The current chatter, and it may be no more than that, is that there is a proposal to move to two SL divisions of 10 teams in each commencing in 2024. What might happen to the remaining clubs is unclear.

There is a danger of following the Scottish football reorganisation route, which in itself hasn't produced any discernible benefits whatsoever.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

The current chatter, and it may be no more than that, is that there is a proposal to move to two SL divisions of 10 teams in each commencing in 2024. What might happen to the remaining clubs is unclear.

There is a danger of following the Scottish football reorganisation route, which in itself hasn't produced any discernible benefits whatsoever.

A league of 10 means only 18 games or loop fixtures which is ######.

So not enough matches or ruining it for supporters by seeing the same teams all the time.

The top 4 would play each other about 5/6 times

about 3/4 times in league again in playoffs and probably challenge cup.  Utterly boring

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

The current chatter, and it may be no more than that, is that there is a proposal to move to two SL divisions of 10 teams in each commencing in 2024. What might happen to the remaining clubs is unclear.

There is a danger of following the Scottish football reorganisation route, which in itself hasn't produced any discernible benefits whatsoever.

The only teams that would benefit from the 2 x 10s would be League 1 because what's left outside of 2 x 10s would go back to a 16 league comp, because the 10 team comp L1 have now is rubbish as said previously only 18 games per season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 03/05/2022 at 01:45, Route66 said:

Really hope that the club is making moves to ensure that those players who have shown that they can cope at championship level are tied up for next season, which would hopefully get the club promotion at first attempt if they do go down. It's just a shame that as the lads are getting up to the level needed ,games are starting to run out ,still plenty to play for though

Are contracts not null and void on relegation? 

Edited by town4me
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...