*Title Change: Mid Season Internationals

Why haven’t New Zealand and the other Pacific Nations gone and organised internationals for the weekend of SOO?

Double header at Eden Park, NZ v Tonga and Samoa v Fiji would’ve sold out.

edit: as FD below has pointed out, they are playing. Great to see. Let’s hope they sellout Mt Smart.

Edited by Sports Prophet

11 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Why haven’t New Zealand and the other Pacific Nations gone and organised internationals for the weekend of SOO?

Double header at Eden Park, NZ v Tonga and Samoa v Fiji would’ve sold out.

I think you need to direct this question to the NRL clubs.

• Haha 1

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

50 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

What are these games?

Sydney, Sydney and oh Auckland (how did that get in there?)

• Sports Prophet changed the title to *Title Change: Mid Season Internationals
1 hour ago, Oxford said:

I think you need to direct this question to the NRL clubs.

No need, the matches are on. They are not appearing on the NRL app as far as I could see. Understandable as it has nothing to do with the NRL.

Love the Tongan badge , ' Mate Ma'a ' translates as " die for Tonga " , I've got a Tongan college Rugby ( not sure which code ) shirt my mate Lee ( Liuaki ) Hansen gave me with the Badge on it , many years ago I was in a Dublin hotel having breakfast wearing it , the waitress who was from NZ commenting " nice shirt " 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

No need, the matches are on. They are not appearing on the NRL app as far as I could see. Understandable as it has nothing to do with the NRL.

Nothing to do with the NRL!  Then why are two of them in Sydney?

3 hours ago, Oxford said:

Nothing to do with the NRL!  Then why are two of them in Sydney?

Not sure. Maybe because the players are predominantly in Sydney?

Are you saying the NRL are involved?

Maybe they are, at which point I am surprised the matches are not found on the NRL app.

An interesting note I found about the Kiwis v Tonga match…

“The rugby league spectacle coincides with Matariki – the Māori New Year, falling on the inaugural public holiday weekend. The long-awaited international clashes will celebrate the return home to Aotearoa and the re-uniting of players with their New Zealand fans and communities.”

Not sure. Maybe because the players are predominantly in Sydney?

Are you saying the NRL are involved?

Maybe they are, at which point I am surprised the matches are not found on the NRL app.

But the countries they represent are not in Sydney.

So you could have several theories:  It keeps heritage players quiet when they can't get the SOO gig?

The purpose of these games has little or nothing to do with intrenational RL or the development of RL in those areas,

As for the App it might suggest that the NRL doesn't consider these matches to be of any importance.

You may have a few other reasons why this is the way it is.

• Like 1

On 03/06/2022 at 21:42, Oxford said:

But the countries they represent are not in Sydney.

You may have a few other reasons why this is the way it is.

I do. My theory is that these nations haven’t got a penny, let alone a pound to organise a loss making fixture in their respective home nations, so are banding together, with, or without, the help of the NRL, to arrange a fixture that allows for the best opportunity of a profit or smallest loss.

Unless that is too obvious and there is a greater NRL conspiracy behind the choice of venue?

I do. My theory is that these nations haven’t got a penny, let alone a pound to organise a loss making fixture in their respective home nations, so are banding together, with, or without, the help of the NRL, to arrange a fixture that allows for the best opportunity of a profit or smallest loss.

Unless that is too obvious and there is a greater NRL conspiracy behind the choice of venue?

If they haven't got a penny why don't the NRL do the funding in their home countries unless that's noy the point.

It's not a question of conspiracy, the NRL put these games on, if they do not serve the development of RL in those countries what is the purpose of them at all?

Let's face it though, they must be neccessary because there's so little RL in the Sydney area.

56 minutes ago, Oxford said:

If they haven't got a penny why don't the NRL do the funding in their home countries unless that's noy the point.

It's not a question of conspiracy, the NRL put these games on, if they do not serve the development of RL in those countries what is the purpose of them at all?

Let's face it though, they must be neccessary because there's so little RL in the Sydney area.

You don’t think these games being played in Sydney helps with the profile and development of the sport in those countries? Helps with the development of the teams in question in the lead up to a World Cup? I think so.

It’s very easy to say that the NRL should just pick up the bill in arranging games being played in foreign countries. Not very realistic though. If the NRL are funding these matches, then the said nations should be satisfied they are being played at all don’t you think?

5 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

You don’t think these games being played in Sydney helps with the profile and development of the sport in those countries? Helps with the development of the teams in question in the lead up to a World Cup? I think so.

No!

5 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

If the NRL are funding these matches, then the said nations should be satisfied they are being played at all don’t you think?

No!

All the best!

2 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

South Africa thumped Brazil overnight.

82-0 final score. 

Oh my goodness.