NRL 2022 - MATCH THREAD - Round 16

Edrick Lee gets his hat-trick as the hooter sounds, to make the score 22:0 at half time. Four missed conversions out of five are stopping this from looking as humiliating as it should for the Titans.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Titans appear to have woken up, and it is now 22:12 with 20 minutes to go.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

12-a-side, after some handbags that followed a bad tackle.

Edrick Lee gets his fifth try, and there's still 6 minutes to go!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hat-trick for Dom Young!

38:12 with about a minute left.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

38:12 with about a minute left.

And that's the final score.

Off to Penrith for the match v the Roosters, and it's persisting down there too.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Remember when Gerard Sutton was rated the best ref in the game ? Seems a  bizarre memory nowadays . I’ve said it before and again tonight some poor calls out there , and some crippling ones against the Roosters . The tipping penalty was one of the worst ever in all history . And these endless six agains near the line are beyond tiresome , over and over . They must look at that at seasons end . It’s just not a deterrent or punishment 

Edited by DavidM

I cannot see Holbrook lasting the rest of the season. Titans are an absolute mess and could well take the wooden spoon and not win another game. Coaches deserve time but their defence has been awful for 2 years and the number of big leads they have thrown away suggests they have no mental strength in the team. He has had long enough to sort it out.

On a brighter note, the Penrith v Roosters game was very good considering the weather. Chooks got some bad calls and were unlucky not to win.

1 hour ago, Rawschach said:

I cannot see Holbrook lasting the rest of the season. Titans are an absolute mess and could well take the wooden spoon and not win another game. Coaches deserve time but their defence has been awful for 2 years and the number of big leads they have thrown away suggests they have no mental strength in the team. He has had long enough to sort it out.

On a brighter note, the Penrith v Roosters game was very good considering the weather. Chooks got some bad calls and were unlucky not to win.

Its the complete turnaround from last season for Titans. The could quite easily have been winless this season…the three wins have been a two point squeaker holding on in a scoreless second half v Warriors in round 1, a lucky last minute bounce v Tigers and golden point v dragons at magic. The club had carefully built up its fan base despite Covid, all for nothing. 

Unless coach is let go Fifita will be offloaded, probably to dolphins with tino and brimson soon to follow,

• Like 1

Fifita can go, he is a luxury they cannot afford. He needs to be in a team with players who can cover in defence and he can just attack. Using his salary on two players who can actually defend instead would be a better idea. Brimson is not a 6 so if Campbell is the long term fullback, he could also be let go (though he is a top player)

Tino should be kept at all costs, he is one of the few Titans players to have performed consistently this year (+ Fermor, Fotuaika)

The writing was on the wall when Fifita was picked to play in the centres against Holmes - Nadine Dorries could have spotted that as a bad decison. What was Holbrook thinking?

Anyway...  looking forward to the Cowboys V Brisbane tomorrow = should be a cracker 

7 hours ago, DavidM said:

Remember when Gerard Sutton was rated the best ref in the game ? Seems a  bizarre memory nowadays . I’ve said it before and again tonight some poor calls out there , and some crippling ones against the Roosters . The tipping penalty was one of the worst ever in all history . And these endless six agains near the line are beyond tiresome , over and over . They must look at that at seasons end . It’s just not a deterrent or punishment 

When the tackle was made  Sutton blew for the penalty and was heard to say " I know it was accidental but he landed on his head so I have to penalise it".

Agree with your point on six agains. Maybe warn after a couple then sin bin next offender.

Most given against the Roosters in the period before the deciding Penrith try were for offside. Robinson was most aggrieved with Sutton post match  pointing out that in their last match, with Sutton also in charge, the Roosters were again on the wrong end of some key decisions.

Summing up I thought the Roosters deserved something from the game with  Penrith lacking their usual consistent high intensity.