A Summer day in Oldham….

glemiln

….well for Limeside….for what promises to be a hot, tense and important game for both teams, especially bragging rights!  Oldham 6 points adrift of Hunslet and we 6 points adrift of leaders Keighley, but joint second on points….sweet, but no time for complacency….certainly some notches up defensively from last week’s performance.

A pretty good team among the players below.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjYiKnB9uj4AhW7QEEAHcUqATgQhlR6BAgGEAM&url=https%3A%2F%2Froughyeds.co.uk%2F2022%2F07%2Fbiggest-ever-old-boys-turnout-expected%2F&usg=AOvVaw24qOw1GnD8hkLi6pWYKU4X

Brelly and Johnny Hammond. Two good ‘uns from back in the day. We used to call Johnny “ The Mole “ because of his habit of ducking really low under tackles.

I remember Brelly playing outside Frank Myler one day. Frank had made about three clean breaks then passed the ball to Norman who  promptly dropped every pass ! Near the end of the game Frank made another clean break but swerved out towards Norman on the wing before slamming the ball into his hands so he couldn’t drop it.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

There is no point calling this one as it's Rochdale vs Oldham. We need to win this if we want to keep around the top spot and i think we have the means to do it, Oldham are hit or miss and we have been pretty consistent this year when it comes to teams below us in the league, but the fact that it's our old enemy means anything could happen.

Edited by The Lad

18 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Bearing in mind the heat today, the team that wants it the most will come out on top today. Playing Rugby League in this weather isn’t for the faint hearted.

No game against the Biffs is for the faint hearted!

###### on Ornits.

Well, the wind certainly changed in the second-half…..

Hornets 50 - Biffs 24

That second-half performance will have given our fans some bragging rights for years to come - as for Biffs 🤮?

Both teams down to 12 in second-half and Biffs an extra one near the end, but we obviously listened to our half-time talk!

Well done to all. 😁👍👍   And now joint second in the table

Edited by glemiln

6 minutes ago, glemiln said:

Well, the wind certainly changed in the second-half…..

Hornets 50 - Biffs 24

That second-half performance will have given our fans some bragging rights for years to come - as for Biffs 🤮?

Both teams down to 12 in second-half and Biffs an extra one near the end, but we obviously listened to our half-time talk!

Well done to all. 😁👍👍   And now joint second in the table

Well done guys.

I was unable to go today. When i saw the half time scoreof 24 v 6 i could not believe it and was glad i was not there.

When i saw the final score 24 v 50 i again could not believe it. I was then gutted that i had not been able to witness an unbelieveable come back.

Well done lads. if we have done it today we can do it again. Roll on London in two weeks time.

:girlwerewolf:  :girldevil: 

I  HAVE NEVER GONE TO BED WITH AN UGLY WOMAN. BUT I HAVE WOKEN UP WITH A FEW

The archetypal “ game of two halves “. First half we were at 6’s and 7’s, trying to be a bit too clever with our passing leading to good opportunities being bombed near the Oldham line. Our opponents on the other hand played the conditions and the synthetic pitch much better. They kept the ball in hand until it needed passing. Plus they ran hard and straight, keeping the game simple and more or less error free. We kept kicking towards the left wing, none of which came off. Indeed it led to a couple of Oldham attacks.

What was said at half time I don’t know but it certainly worked. I notice our players stayed out on the field whilst Oldham went to the dressing room at half time.

At half time it was obvious that we had to score next to have any chance of a result and fortunately we did. After that it was pretty much one way traffic. We re-jigged the team slightly and started to do what Oldham had been doing - running hard and straight. Rangi could then play on the front foot and take the game to Oldham. Once we’d got on a roll we managed to starve Oldham of possession to a great extent and in really hot conditions they couldn’t keep the effort up.

All in all a good win. Funnily enough all but one of the tries were scored at the same end and by the team playing up hill !

Every player on both teams out there today deserved a medal for putting in a terrific performance in conditions not really suitable for semi pro rugby league.

9 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We don’t like to gloat. This site is for old timers like me, most of the comment takes place on that thing called “ Twitter “ these days.

This is the only social media thing I do. Not in the least bit interested in the others. As this one is for rugby league. My son and the wife do Facebook etc but it's never caught on with me. You gloat all you want,we were shocking in that horrible second half. You deserve your win today. Well done.

5 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

This is the only social media thing I do. Not in the least bit interested in the others. As this one is for rugby league. My son and the wife do Facebook etc but it's never caught on with me. You gloat all you want,we were shocking in that horrible second half. You deserve your win today. Well done.

Same for me. I don’t do Twitter or Facebook.

If you’re looking to take the pluses out of the game look no further than the first half. What happened in the second half to cause that turnaround I don’t really know. Other than we rectified what we were doing wrong in the first half that is. We also managed to monopolise possession. The saying “ You can’t play without the ball “ is dead right in rugby league.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

5 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Same for me. I don’t do Twitter or Facebook.

If you’re looking to take the pluses out of the game look no further than the first half. What happened in the second half to cause that turnaround I don’t really know. Other than we rectified what we were doing wrong in the first half that is. We also managed to monopolise possession. The saying “ You can’t play without the ball “ is dead right in rugby league.

The thing it's been like this all season but I think the quality at this level in general isn't what it was. I was talking to some swinton fans the other week when they were at ours. They were broadly agreeing with me on this. You can support a superleague side for not much more money. £220 at Warrington,that's only £20 a month. Got to admit it's got me thinking.

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The archetypal “ game of two halves “. First half we were at 6’s and 7’s, trying to be a bit too clever with our passing leading to good opportunities being bombed near the Oldham line. Our opponents on the other hand played the conditions and the synthetic pitch much better. They kept the ball in hand until it needed passing. Plus they ran hard and straight, keeping the game simple and more or less error free. We kept kicking towards the left wing, none of which came off. Indeed it led to a couple of Oldham attacks.

What was said at half time I don’t know but it certainly worked. I notice our players stayed out on the field whilst Oldham went to the dressing room at half time.

At half time it was obvious that we had to score next to have any chance of a result and fortunately we did. After that it was pretty much one way traffic. We re-jigged the team slightly and started to do what Oldham had been doing - running hard and straight. Rangi could then play on the front foot and take the game to Oldham. Once we’d got on a roll we managed to starve Oldham of possession to a great extent and in really hot conditions they couldn’t keep the effort up.

All in all a good win. Funnily enough all but one of the tries were scored at the same end and by the team playing up hill !

Every player on both teams out there today deserved a medal for putting in a terrific performance in conditions not really suitable for semi pro rugby league.

Yes Once the forwards started running straight and hard , Rangi dominated and was a delight to watch Well done to aboth sets of players for a great afternoons entertainment !