Fri 15th Jul: SL: St Helens v Huddersfield Giants KO 20:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• St Helens
    • Huddersfield Giants

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 15/07/22 at 19:30

4 minutes ago, dkw said:

Do you think it showed how you're a bit too over relient on Lolohea for the attack?

A bit but it also showed just how ineffective and inexperienced Will Pryce is in a struggling side, creativity wise.

Edited by daz39
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, daz39 said:

Thanks, as we keep saying we may be small in numbers but we are always big in noise and colour.

I like it daz and bringing flags with you add to the colour. It was just one of those nights for you were nothing went right. 

11 hours ago, daz39 said:

Saints booed everything till they finally got on top!

I have to admit they can’t half moan. The next home game im taking some earbuds so i don’t have to listen too all the moaning and whaling. Saints fans are up there with Leeds & FC fans for the biggest whingers in the game. 
A great win for Saints though. 

1 hour ago, daz39 said:

I think that had more to do with the players execution on the field than Watto's game plan, he was vlearly annoyed with what we did, i think psychologically we went into the game with a beaten mindset due to the opponents, we had some woeful individual performances too which didn't help and let's not forget Saints are a very, very good side.

I was quite suprised Watson didn't change the game plan when Matautia was sent off, to beat the Saints you need a good defence backed up with a clever kicking game. With 13 men Saints weakness is on the edges so with 12 men it was weaker yesterday but Watson had the Giants team barging up the middle were Saints are strongest. He didn't change anything at half time and that made Saints comfortable in defending, for me in big games that matter I can see a bit of dumb coaching in his approach.

• Like 1

I was disappointed with Fages, but i thought Yates kept plugging away. Matautia  despite being a good player is a liability he can’t string a few game’s together without being banned it needs sorting. Lussick  probably had his best match for Saints so far and Paasi & Sironen played really well, but i would’ve gone for either Welsby or Lomax for the Saints MoM. 
Id like to know who is in charge of the ruddy catering at Saints though, every bloody home game they run out of milk in the west stand.

I have also noticed they have got stewards in the mens bogs now because something a bit stronger than an e-cig was being used. 

Perhaps stating the obvious, but Jack Welsby looks like he is going to be a superstar.  Quality, intelligence, attitude, physicality he appears to have it all on both sides of the ball.

If I were St Helens I would be locking him down contractually for as long as possible before the NRL/Union come knocking with £££.

• Like 2

As much as we were extremely poor, Saints were also very good and pretty ruthless, with 12, and even 11 men, they just seemed to have an extra level.

The red card seemed to spur them on and seemed to deflate us a bit, but we were our own worst enemies, it could and should have been a closer game but Saints were just too good for us and you're not going to beat Saints if you're not at your best, we were nowhere near our best last night.

Pryce, for me, is still very much learning the game, he seems to either be trying too hard or is just not as good as he's been made out to be, at this stage of his development, but he's certainly not having any positive impact into the side at the moment.

If we are going to stay in the scrap for top 4 then we are going to have to do it tough, Hill, McGillvary, Leutele, Cogger, Ikahihifo, O'Brien, English, and possibly Lolohea are big misses for us.

4 hours ago, Josef K said:

I was disappointed with Fages, but i thought Yates kept plugging away. Matautia  despite being a good player is a liability he can’t string a few game’s together without being banned it needs sorting. Lussick  probably had his best match for Saints so far and Paasi & Sironen played really well, but i would’ve gone for either Welsby or Lomax for the Saints MoM. 
Id like to know who is in charge of the ruddy catering at Saints though, every bloody home game they run out of milk in the west stand.

I have also noticed they have got stewards in the mens bogs now because something a bit stronger than an e-cig was being used. 

I thought Fages, along with Hewitt were our best players last night, they both got stuck in a bit in defence and never stopped trying.

Yeah the catering was pretty poor, no food at all by half time, only bottles of carling or cider left, the Red V wasn't very cracky either.

6 hours ago, meast said:

I thought Fages, along with Hewitt were our best players last night, they both got stuck in a bit in defence and never stopped trying.

Yeah the catering was pretty poor, no food at all by half time, only bottles of carling or cider left, the Red V wasn't very cracky either.

It’s strange how each fan views the game differently. One of the lads i stand with says Sironen is rubbish, but i think since he’s sorted out his discipline and settled down he’s become a good player. 
As for Saints running out of food by HT at the (A) end that is so amateurish. Fans should complain but we don’t, we just accept it. The people i go with won’t touch the pints of lager, they say it’s a mixture of Skona Lager and p*** from out of the mens bogs. They drink the bottled lager and new Spanish lager Madri that the club have got. 

Finally i hope you had no problems getting home and the M62 was open ?. 

51 minutes ago, Josef K said:

It’s strange how each fan views the game differently. One of the lads i stand with says Sironen is rubbish, but i think since he’s sorted out his discipline and settled down he’s become a good player. 
As for Saints running out of food by HT at the (A) end that is so amateurish. Fans should complain but we don’t, we just accept it. The people i go with won’t touch the pints of lager, they say it’s a mixture of Skona Lager and p*** from out of the mens bogs. They drink the bottled lager and new Spanish lager Madri that the club have got. 

Finally i hope you had no problems getting home and the M62 was open ?. 

M62 was an absolute nightmare, miles of lane closures meant we didn't get time until well after midnight, at least it was Friday!

The bars at the away end weren't open so we had to use the main stand, I had Madri before the game but it had all run out before half time.

• Like 1

On 16/07/2022 at 00:17, Josef K said:

I have only been in 10mins and i haven’t caught up with the comments on here. But i would like to say full credit to the Fartown who made the journey, they backed their side all through the game from minute one to minute eighty. I love the flags they brought as it adds colour too the away end.

I hope McGillvary is ok because that man was in pain and it looked worrying. 

eIEh6Rz.jpeg

Edited by meast

19 hours ago, meast said:

M62 was an absolute nightmare, miles of lane closures meant we didn't get time until well after midnight, at least it was Friday!

The bars at the away end weren't open so we had to use the main stand, I had Madri before the game but it had all run out before half time.

That is Pish meast. 1, the bars. 2. The Motorways. I have always said ‘the person in charge of the “highways agency” is a u**** fan who hates League and shuts everything down on a Friday night. 
It looks as if Saints have done a decent job in putting off away fans from coming to the ground. 

On 16/07/2022 at 07:55, The Blues Ox said:

I imagine Matautia will get more than 8 games as his was a potential crusher tackle and there was a possibility that the huddersfield player had neck or spine damage before he lifted him. In the Halifax players case the possibility of neck or spine damage were miniscule. 

The following incident should also result in a ban for Fagues as it is impossible for him to know if the Saints player was injured or not so should not have been moving him irelevant of if the Saints player was doing a bit of time wasting. 

Edit: Theres actually 2 players that should be banned after that incident as the physio had to come on and check the player so he must be obviously injured.........

Yes just replayed the game this morning, Fages moves injured Lussick to loosen the ball then Trout moves injured Lussick to pick up the ball. Not allowed to do that, if they apply the letter of the law both those players should receive bans.

1 hour ago, S.T.I.D. said:

Yes just replayed the game this morning, Fages moves injured Lussick to loosen the ball then Trout moves injured Lussick to pick up the ball. Not allowed to do that, if they apply the letter of the law both those players should receive bans.

Same Lussick who then pulls himself up onto his knees?

10 hours ago, meast said:

Same Lussick who then pulls himself up onto his knees?

He wouldnt be the first injured player to try and move himself but its irellevant if the player then pulls himself to his knees or not, the 2 Giants players could not know if he were injured and should recieve bans if the disciplinary is been consistant.

• Like 1

That defensive display was probably one of Saints best of the year when you consider they played most of the game with 12 and the last 8-9 with just 11. Every player put their body on the line to keep Hudds from scoring even when the game was well & truly won. These are also the games you really need your key players to step up and they did.

On the Mata'utia incident, can't complain about the red, you just can't do that these days. I get his frustration though, there was no contact with Levi's head in the tackle yet he stays down and holds his head looking for a penalty. Mata'utia lets his frustration get the better of him believing a player is faking injury. Still a player of his experience should know better and he'll just have to accept his punishment.

I hope Fages & Trout receive exactly the same bans though given they also moved an injured player in Lussick.  P%%% poor from Kendal to red card Mata'utia and ignore this near identical incident though.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

On 16/07/2022 at 07:55, The Blues Ox said:

I imagine Matautia will get more than 8 games as his was a potential crusher tackle and there was a possibility that the huddersfield player had neck or spine damage before he lifted him. In the Halifax players case the possibility of neck or spine damage were miniscule. 

The following incident should also result in a ban for Fagues as it is impossible for him to know if the Saints player was injured or not so should not have been moving him irelevant of if the Saints player was doing a bit of time wasting. 

Edit: Theres actually 2 players that should be banned after that incident as the physio had to come on and check the player so he must be obviously injured.........

Not even looked at or mentioned in the MRP minutes, so clearly it's just straw clutching from some.