Sat 13-Sun 14 Aug: The Betfred League One Match Thread

2 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Rumour has it, that it has been prevented by the Rochadale club.They may,of course,blame the soccer club,but it is possibly due to the belief that it may impact on the attendance.

I am just frustrated that yet again,rugby league fans are fed untruths.I can go to politics for that!

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/36666/all-cornwall-rlfc-league-matches-to-be-shown-on-our-league-in-2022

Not true,then.Not ALL.

It's actually the second of their matches that hasn't been shown.

The game away to Hunslet wasn't covered because it clashed with a challenge cup match that was being broadcast and the RFL didn't think it was a good idea to have both shown at the same time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Barley Mow said:

It's actually the second of their matches that hasn't been shown.

The game away to Hunslet wasn't covered because it clashed with a challenge cup match that was being broadcast and the RFL didn't think it was a good idea to have both shown at the same time.

Real pity.

Only 18-14 halftime.

Hornets 34-14 ft

I think Hornets: 3 yellows (one player 2 separate yellows) and 1 red; for Cornwall 1 red and 2 yellows, when they were down to 10.   I guess it was hot - recently both sides seem to like the Disciplinary. Not good at all.

Credit to Hunslet for playing the game in the right spirit despite the heat, the demoralising scoreline, and being up against it right from an early Keighley score.

Full credit to their club.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

1 hour ago, Rene_Artois said:

5 tries from our PNG lads. Beautiful players Watson and Jason. Love you both boys.

Doncaster had far too much fire power. The Hurricanes were well beaten. In their defence they lost one of their playmakers early on  and then had another 3 players badly injured so they ran out of subs.

One of the players had his kneecap dislocated and put back into place on the field ( that's gotta hurt).

So they ran out of subs. That does not bode well for our last 3 games

WWR (A) Skolars (A) Cornwall (H) 3 games we quietly fancied until 3.10 pm today

That's Rugby League.

• Like 2

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

I was following the Rochdale v Cornwall game on both clubs Twitter feeds - sounds like a right cardathon!

Interesting table now. Swinton gain 88 points on the plus side for their points difference so lie above Doncaster. Keighley look invincible unless they lose the next 3 games, which I cant see happening they're going up.

North Wales Crusaders don't have the positive points difference that Swinton have so we need to win our two home games against Rochdale (20th August) and Swinton (3rd September). I expect by the time we play Keighley (28th August) they will be proud League 1 Champions.

Hang on to your hats, its gonna be a bumpy ride!

Edited by gogledd
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Doncaster had far too much fire power. The Hurricanes were well beaten. In their defence they lost one of their playmakers early on  and then had another 3 players badly injured so they ran out of subs.

One of the players had his kneecap dislocated and put back into place on the field ( that's gotta hurt).

That's Rugby League.

Of those 3 I think Cornwall will be your toughest game...but 'Canes could win all 3. Best of luck Ron

• Like 1

We're doing it tough but winning is a habit. Benny Johnston should be back next week but tell Connor Robinson or Watson Boas they're not starting! Crazy position to be in at this stage of the season. It's ridiculous that Ben Howe and Jack Sanderson can't get in. That's how strong our backs are. Hell our captain Sam Smeaton has to play back row to accommodate Tali and Storey in the centres. Hard work but it makes for a hardworking side.

59 minutes ago, gogledd said:

I was following the Rochdale v Cornwall game on both clubs Twitter feeds - sounds like a right cardathon!

Interesting table now. Swinton gain 88 points on the plus side for their points difference so lie above Doncaster. Keighley look invincible unless they lose the next 3 games, which I cant see happening they're going up.

North Wales Crusaders don't have the positive points difference that Swinton have so we need to win our two home games against Rochdale (20th August) and Swinton (3rd September). I expect by the time we play Keighley (28th August) they will be proud League 1 Champions.

Hang on to your hats, its gonna be a bumpy ride!

Rochdale against Swinton very poor discipline and cards a plenty, At Doncaster their discipline was excellent and hardly put a foot wrong and they looked like a decent side, today against Cornwall they lose their heads again and suffer ill discipline.  Head scratching stuff.  

It is set up for a fascinating finish, Dons v Keighley next Sunday should be fun, Keighley with one hand on the trophy(their words) Dons need a win to have any chance of a top three finish. 

“It is not revenge we want for poor people, but happiness; indeed, what revenge can be taken for all the thousands of years of the sufferings of the poor?”

1 hour ago, Bearman said:

That's Rugby League.

I’ve seen Doncaster a number of times over the last few years and each time they looked very strong promotion contenders. Some of their losses have been real surprises.

On 13/08/2022 at 23:06, IM2 said:

interesting thing for Skolars is the broncos ripping out Skolars spine on and off the field let the door open to many of a very special Under 16s and A team squad from 3 or 4 years ago. also Joe did whats been missing last few years by looking at the London amateur game and unearthing some gems. then when it didnt work out for Coleman at Broncos many of the Skolars developed players, the better ones on and off the field came back. also into a much tighter group. hats off to them all. 

Very disappointing from Skolars at Oldham - wish i had not bothered travelling to watch that! Skolars have some solid, dependable & consistent players who seem to regularly hold their own. The issue is the basic skills of a number of their players - the amount of dropped balls & awful passes that Oldham then ran pretty much the length of the pitch to score was unbelievable! One of the Skolars players even made a complete hash of passing standing still from a restart - embarrassing. Oldham were good, deserved the win & the crowd were friendly bunch - they told me the 3 loan lads from Wigan had made a big difference, but Skolars only have themselves to blame for the embarrassing score line.

On 14/08/2022 at 19:05, Bearman said:

That's Rugby League.

What is Midlands squad depth like? is it a big squad with  enough fringe players who will be able to step in? Are there any players from the now amateur Coventry bears team who might be able to step up & do a job in the last 3 games? (against the 3 weakest teams in the division)

Skolars v Midlands will be interesting, it should be a close game, but if Skolars basic skills self destruct (see my oldham post/most skolars away games this season!) then Midlands will win convincingly.

20 minutes ago, Templegreen said:

What is Midlands squad depth like? is it a big squad with  enough fringe players who will be able to step in? Are there any players from the now amateur Coventry bears team who might be able to step up & do a job in the last 3 games? (against the 3 weakest teams in the division)

Skolars v Midlands will be interesting, it should be a close game, but if Skolars basic skills self destruct (see my oldham post/most skolars away games this season!) then Midlands will win convincingly.

There are a couple of Bears players that might step up. 1 of whom played v Doncaster. The other player is very young ( I would definitely give him a chance before the season is out). 

As for the depth of squad it has been ravaged by injuries. We are doing it tough at the moment. It's part of the game and I'm sure other teams will be struggling too.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow