End of season registration rules

Posted this on another topic but in view of the York Leigh Result think its relevant as a thread on its own 🙂

Needs to be some serious discussion on this ,seeing teams down to the bare bones at the seasons end due to injury and struggling to get a full squad out ,as is happening at seems at all levels of the Pro Game and unable to recruit to fill those gaps because of unworkable registration is just plain daft 

Teams going massivley understrength into games (as in a couple of cases today without the bare 17), should surely be a case of concern for player welfare, putting  further at risk of injury those playing  ?

I'm not 100% au fait with all the registration  regs but surely if a club can prove by way of medical evidence that they have players out injured there should be some flexibility within those rules to allow them to bring in short term replacements ( whether it is from other clubs or from players that have left the pro game ). 

The argument seems to be that it is just assumed that clubs will abuse the system ,that's as maybe, but being a sport that doesn't protect the players that it already has is just as bad .

19 minutes ago, Rach said:

Posted this on another topic but in view of the York Leigh Result think its relevant as a thread on its own 🙂

Needs to be some serious discussion on this ,seeing teams down to the bare bones at the seasons end due to injury and struggling to get a full squad out ,as is happening at seems at all levels of the Pro Game and unable to recruit to fill those gaps because of unworkable registration is just plain daft 

Teams going massivley understrength into games (as in a couple of cases today without the bare 17), should surely be a case of concern for player welfare, putting  further at risk of injury those playing  ?

I'm not 100% au fait with all the registration  regs but surely if a club can prove by way of medical evidence that they have players out injured there should be some flexibility within those rules to allow them to bring in short term replacements ( whether it is from other clubs or from players that have left the pro game ). 

The argument seems to be that it is just assumed that clubs will abuse the system ,that's as maybe, but being a sport that doesn't protect the players that it already has is just as bad .

There already is a solution. If a club has players out long term injured then they have the option of de-registering them with the RFL and freeing up cap space to bring in a replacement.

The current registration system was brought in because too many clubs were 'abusing' the rules and bringing in last minute players just before the play-off's, usually from an NRL club who hadn't qualified for their play-off's.

• Like 1

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

1 minute ago, Saint Toppy said:

There already is a solution. If a club has players out long term injured then they have the option of de-registering them with the RFL and freeing up cap space to bring in a replacement.

The current registration system was brought in because too many clubs were 'abusing' the rules and bringing in last minute players just before the play-off's, usually from an NRL club who hadn't qualified for their play-off's.

At League 1 (and in most cases Championship ) level we arent talking about a scenario of bringing in NRL Players , we are talking about fetching in reserve level  or ex-pros on a short term basis to allow a club to put out a full squad ....

And neither are we talking long term injuries but the end of season niggles , the HIA fails, the sprains and strains from hard grounds etc etc ...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

A mandatory reserve league would solve this problem.

It wouldn’t though, would it?

You’d need to find numerous players of a certain standard to fill up various teams who currently aren’t sanctioned to have a reserve grade, which would be incredibly tough to do given the amount of players there already is to go around and the rules around player registration. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

A mandatory reserve league would solve this problem.

whilst damaging the community game.

• Like 2

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

The RFL changed the rules around the signing deadline and what has been asked for in the opening post is in place. Championship and League One clubs can bring in any player with a contract less than ÂŁ20k after the deadline.

BarrowRaiders-TheMan-1.png