Match thread: Championship Rd 25. Featherstone Rovers v Workington. Saturday 27th August 2022.

marklaspalmas

3 hours ago, J Phil Loxton said:

Smith has got his talents but I can't help thinking that they are or will be best in the hooking roll.

In most matches Smith is fine in the half back position and he defends well.But against the top teams we need to be a bit sharper in the halves and create a bit more for our attack

I've got to laugh people bemoaning Morgan in the halves  YES he's not a flamboyant as fordy or as quick as ryley but so far along the way he has scored 18 tries I'm sure if fans were offered that scenario at the start the season they would have taken it up with open arms

2 hours ago, POR said:

I've got to laugh people bemoaning Morgan in the halves 

I'd don't think people are "bemoaning" him, this conversation is in the context that we have three good halves and we can realistically only start two of them. I doubt any Fev fans have seen Morgan as a disappointment this year, he's a likeable player who always gives his best and has done some good things, he's surprisingly strong near the line for his size and he defends well too.

That's not the question though, the question is whether he offers more than Ford or Jacks.

I think Ford is probably the one capable of asking most questions of a top-notch defence and I think now that he has some regular playing time under his belt he's going to be hard to remove from the starting line-up.

Like Smith, Jacks has scored plenty of tries (17 in 20 games compared with Smith's 18 in 28 games). I'd probably side with Jacks although whichever one you left out could count themselves unlucky.

Edited by The Phantom Horseman
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, POR said:

I've got to laugh people bemoaning Morgan in the halves  YES he's not a flamboyant as fordy or as quick as ryley but so far along the way he has scored 18 tries I'm sure if fans were offered that scenario at the start the season they would have taken it up with open arms

No bemoaning purely stating an opinion. 

• Like 1

Hate to be too critical, but after scoring 36 in the first half, uphill and a quick try after half time, they seemed to lose the plot until the last 10 mins. It got very scrappy , with a lot of mistakes and penalties.

I just wonder how much we are paying Joey. I can just about count the number of times he had the ball in his hands on the number of fingers on one hand. Lazy does not cut it. The sooner he goes back to Os the better 

We need to give some credit to Workington who came out in the second half to make sure that there wasn't another embarrassing scoreline in the championship as was last week. We won 64-18 and you've got to be happy with that. The news that Connor Jones is staying with the club will be a big lift too. He is class and needs to be playing those kind of minutes every week.

Quiet return for Jacks which i expected at least he seemed to finish the game ok.Smith was involved and had a good game.Another good display from Moors in the pack and Koppy looks to be nearly up to scratch.Moors puzzles me because he ambles into the line but it often takes three tacklers to slow him down and he still makes yards going forwards.Jones reads the game so well he is aware not only of what is happening but what the best position he needs to take backing up.Puzzled by Hardcastle not being picked in the centre as he is better than Joey in that position.Defending was poor and all three Workington tries were from basic plays.Was Davies rested ?,i like him in the 17.We have now earned the right to rest players and shuffle the team round for the remaining 2 games so lets see who we end up with in the play offs.great news that Jones is staying it may have been my last season if we had let him go to another Championship team.

• Thanks 1

We need to mix it up in the last two league games and get as many players with game time under their belt as we can so we have as many fit players as possible to choose from in the play offs. Stating the obvious I know. Would be good to get Bussey and Pickersgill on the pitch.

2 hours ago, lingaro said:

Re joey. Need a half back that can find a pass that will unlock him and his wing! 

Lingaro I'm glad you said this.  I spent the whole game getting increasingly annoyed at this situation.  I'm no fan of Joey but he is never given the ball in any space.  Briscoe works tirelessly but if I was him I'd leave the club.  It beggars belief that McD does not see our wasted potential.  60 + points today and it was a mess.  Everything from individual bits of skill from the likes of Hall,Smith and of course Jones who was a class apart - but little team work.  

Add that to the usual defence where we seem to let players with the biggest waste-line waddle over and I just can't see what McD can take from it......

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RobLambert said:

Lingaro I'm glad you said this.  I spent the whole game getting increasingly annoyed at this situation.  I'm no fan of Joey but he is never given the ball in any space.  Briscoe works tirelessly but if I was him I'd leave the club.  It beggars belief that McD does not see our wasted potential.  60 + points today and it was a mess.  Everything from individual bits of skill from the likes of Hall,Smith and of course Jones who was a class apart - but little team work.  

Add that to the usual defence where we seem to let players with the biggest waste-line waddle over and I just can't see what McD can take from it......

yes defence is abysmal and gets worse as time goes by maybe need some of the fev ladies players put in the squad to show the lads how to defend or just get rid of mac and get a proper coach because he certainly ain’t cutting it here. One thing to bear in mind though is mac will probably be gone soon once we lose in the play offs Im dreading the final if we we get there.

Right the 3 tries we conceded very poor defending, there's no getting away from that. As for tries being scored by individual pieces of skill, all tries are scored through that, and if you actually watched the game some of those tries scored was through backing up and teamwork. As for not seeing what McDermott can take from that game. If you actually listen to his interview after the game, he gives an excellent summary of how the game went. As for dreading the final one easy solution don't go, especially if you haven't got the B******s to support the team.

• Like 1