This week's disciplinary.

Dave T

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

These are the notes from the Ben Currie hit on David Fusitu’a early in the season.

High Tackle

Careless – ball carrier dips

Grade A

Sanctions:

0 Match Penalty Notice

So the ball carrier dipping is a consideration in the disciplinary process.

What are the rules for being “eligible” for a 0 match grade A sanction? 

13 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

I’m not being lazy but I can’t find a link to either this tackle or the other referenced Fonua tackle (I assume it’s not the one of Field that he was binned for some reason but not banned).

Dont suppose anyone can help?

Apologies,  it was Faraimo,  not Fonua. The official highlights don't show it.  It was one of those shoot up to chase a kick and the catcher drops as catching. 

Law 15.1(b)

High tackle - When tackling or attempting to tackle makes contact with the head or neck of an opponent

Reckless – tried to tackle but reckless about outcome

Grade B

Sanctions:

2 Match Penalty Notice

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

These are the notes from the Ben Currie hit on David Fusitu’a early in the season.

High Tackle

Grade A

Sanctions:

0 Match Penalty Notice

Yes,  stuff like that will always be factored in as a mitigant.  It won't lead to somebody being exonerated though -  they won't ignore it. 

3 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

I don't know if it hard and fast but a Grade A can either be 0 or 1 match penalty.  To be judged by the panel I guess.  But we know from the Rhyse Martin case that 'previous' is likely to increase the charge.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

High Tackle

Grade A

Sanctions:

0 Match Penalty Notice

Yes that's why I said it's no excuse, Currie still got punished albeit it no ban. Falling can be taken into account as mitigation, and so may get someone a lesser punishment, but someone falling in itself doesn't just get someone off scot free.

All incidents are different and I don't know what the Currie one was. However it does sound fundamentally different to what Welsby did.

5 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

Basically each grade is as follows:

A -  0/1

B -  1/2

C -  2/3

Abd so on. 

The MRP will grade it. If your record is clear you get the lower number,  if you have had 2 charges in the last 24m, with 1 coming in the last 12m you receive the higher number. 

It's why Rhys Martin got 1 match and the appeal to give him 0 was frivolous,  he had a previous record. 

The panel do not get to choose which number is given (unless we move I to serious categories)  

Edited by Dave T
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

I’m not being lazy but I can’t find a link to either this tackle or the other referenced Fonua tackle (I assume it’s not the one of Field that he was binned for some reason but not banned).

Dont suppose anyone can help?

Can't comment on the Fonua tackle but Bentley was banned for 3 games extended to 4 for a frivolous appeal. It was on channel 4 iirc first game of the season. Widdop slipped Bentley caught him the head, Kendall  sent him off. If he had been upright Bentley would have hit him in the chest.

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The easy way out for the disciplinary is a Grade A charge for Welsby.  Show it as illegal,  but with enough of a genuine attempt to bring it in at the lower end.  He meets the criteria to get zero. 

That is exactly what I think will happen too. Everyone wins in that scenario.

11 minutes ago, Damien said:

Yes that's why I said it's no excuse, Currie still got punished albeit it no ban. Falling can be taken into account as mitigation, and so may get someone a lesser punishment, but someone falling in itself doesn't just get someone off scot free.

All incidents are different and I don't know what the Currie one was. However it does sound fundamentally different to what Welsby did.

I am just clarifying that the ball carrier dipping is taken into consideration by the disciplinary panel.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

12 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Can't comment on the Fonua tackle but Bentley was banned for 3 games extended to 4 for a frivolous appeal. It was on channel 4 iirc first game of the season. Widdop slipped Bentley caught him the head, Kendall  sent him off. If he had been upright Bentley would have hit him in the chest.

Just watched it. Very surprised you think there is any real comparison between the two.

Welsby has his feet planted and is head on, bending his back and wrapping his arms. Bentley’s is a flying one armed smack in the head with his swinging forearm.

Edited by FearTheVee
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, LeeF said:

And everyone gets the opportunity to complain that the RFL (sic) are biased 😀

I think Knowles has the bigger issue and absolutely deserves a ban. If Welsby and Knowles both get no bans then the RFL will absolutely come in for criticism and accusations of preferential treatment in Grand Final week.

1 minute ago, FearTheVee said:

Just watched it. Very surprised you think there is any real comparison between the two.

Welsby has his feet planted and is head on, bending his back and wrapping his arms. Bentley’s is a flying one armed smack in the head with his forearm.

Agreed on that,  but for some reason some Leeds fans haven't let that tackle from Rd 1 go! 

Bentley's was very clear cut. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

High Tackle

Grade A

Sanctions:

0 Match Penalty Notice

But then depends on the damage that is done what the penalty is, if as I say an injury is of the consequence of the ball carrier putting his head into the contact area, a tackler could get grade A for a glancing blow or for full contact a number of games suspended and realistically the tackler has not done anything different than aiming a well aimed good legal tackle to another part of the body other than the head.

5 minutes ago, Damien said:

Well yes but that's always the nature of these things when action isn't taken at the time. Retrospective action never benefits the victim.

I agree. But you can't say everyone wins when Atkin got clobbered, possibly illegally, and Saints got away with another yellow or possibly red card. 

39 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

High Tackle

Grade A

Sanctions:

0 Match Penalty Notice

Didn't work out like that for James Bentley.

Someone apparenty the know on the saints site has both Knowles and Welsby banned for the final (grading meeting held this morning apparently?)

So that should please those amongst us with a dislike of players sprinting out to attempt tackles at rib height. Or Saints. Or both. 🙂

If true of course!

Edited by FearTheVee

2 minutes ago, johnh1 said:

I agree. But you can't say everyone wins when Atkin got clobbered, possibly illegally, and Saints got away with another yellow or possibly red card. 

It's a thread regarding this weeks disciplinary and so I'm talking about the parties involved. Salford aren't part of that.

3 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Didn't work out like that for James Bentley.

I think there is a fair difference between trying to tackle someone with your shoulder and the ball carrier dipping so you make contact higher than you were intending and one where you are swinging your arm into the tackle.