Levelling up - Odsal

2 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

The Rugby League took funding away from the Bulls Academy and volunteers are keeping it going. It's trying to find £60,000 from sponsors for next season. The council could find that money in a breath.

They could but that's not how it works, there will be plenty of council run facilities under serious financial strain. A care facility or school or nursery etc ,has to be run down or even closed and then it's reported they are supporting the acadamy of a rugby club. That just wouldn't float politically,irrespective of the comparatively negligible sum.

Furthermore Bulls are a private company and its 'technically' illegal to support with public funds. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

The Rugby League took funding away from the Bulls Academy and volunteers are keeping it going. It's trying to find £60,000 from sponsors for next season. The council could find that money in a breath.

Is this some reduction in RFL funding accross all elite academies, or a specific thing for Bradford's?

I thought it was only last year that Bradford secured an elite academy licence and that RFL funding came with that automatically. 

Edited by Barley Mow

9 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

Is this some reduction in RFL funding accross all elite academies, or a specific thing for Bradford's?

I thought it was only last year that Bradford secured an elite academy licence and that RFL funding came with that automatically. 

I imagine it's this: https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/sport/sportlatest/19952051.bradford-bulls-launch-new-initiative-academy/

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Bradford Council is in the throes of knocking down three multi-storey carparks in the city centre. Over 1200 carparking spaces will be lost:

- one which it bought for over £4million  only a few years ago. That's going so the council can upgrade the entrance to the next-door bus station.

- one which needs to come down because it's above the Ostler Market within the footprint of a 1000-flats scheme. Obviously, it thinks that no-one in the flats will own a car.

- one is above the very  large Kirkgate Market being knocked down to create an area of urban space in the city centre.

Hooray!! All is not lost:

- The council is re-opening a temporary 120-space carpark next to the bus stop.

- The council is admitting its new Market can't accommodate all the lost stalls in the demolished markets.

Meanwhile the council's resident stooge in the Comments section of the local paper is claiming:

-up to 300,000 attendees per annum will attend the new live music venue in the city centre.

- up to 2 million people will attend the city in its year as Britain's City of Culture.

Welcome to Bradord; Britain's greatest city enduring Britain's most useless council.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

On 20/09/2022 at 20:52, Pie tries said:

Big bid for funds to re develop Odsal which would transform the sport - and the city.

About time too. Our sport punches well above its weight doing untold good for our communities. We don’t fight hard enough.

If the government is serious about levelling up - there surely can be not better cause than RL and Bradford. We need - as a sport - to be in the governments face over this.

No negative posts please about Bradford. This would be a huge shot in the arm for the sport.

We are owed this…

https://apple.news/ANvkgT-UxQCG-SzEsy3JcgQ

For a start, when did you don't get to tell people what they can post about Bradford!

I don't especially see why this would be a huge shot in the arm for the sport, nothing special about Odsal or the Bulls imo.

All the same I hope it comes off, but I just can't see it at all. Any new ground development is good news no matter who the club is.

However Odsal is, was and remains a poor site to build a stadium. There must be a better site in Bradford than this.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wolford6 said:

Welcome to Bradord; Britain's greatest city enduring Britain's most useless council.

Have the people that ran the Bulls club into the ground got senior roles on the council these days. Management expertise looks very simillar 

14 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

For a start, when did you don't get to tell people what they can post about Bradford!

I don't especially see why this would be a huge shot in the arm for the sport, nothing special about Odsal or the Bulls imo.

All the same I hope it comes off, but I just can't see it at all. Any new ground development is good news no matter who the club is.

However Odsal is, was and remains a poor site to build a stadium. There must be a better site in Bradford than this.

I think the important aspect is that this is the only site the rfl have a financial interest in, which could be coincidence I suppose….

• Thanks 1