Are you sure Samoa are better than France?

Let's not forget that RL teams just don't play the number of games we see in football and other sports , so many times we see the first game at a tournament can result in ' clunky ' performances , with the next games the better teams will get better 

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Does the much improved French performance against England change anyone’s mind about their chances versus Samoa?

On paper of course you would still fancy Samoa.

Either way, just hope we get a cracking game to watch.

Never put or pin any hopes on French RL and you won’t be disappointed and when there are little rays of light you can be pleasantly surprised and enjoy them like the backend of the 1st half.

7 minutes ago, Tosh said:

Never put or pin any hopes on French RL and you won’t be disappointed and when there are little rays of light you can be pleasantly surprised and enjoy them like the backend of the 1st half.

Yes it does seem that way, but I think we are seeing progress now but beating Samoa is an awfully big ask but it is great this thread can even exist now.

I still remain convinced that France can be very competitive against Samoa. 

We have their game each against England for comparison and I have just had a look at the match stats for these and they are remarkable similar but with France making more metres and more contact metres and Samoa more tackle busts.

The Greece game for Samoa was a walk in the park and may have been too easy.  They need to be good to beat France and their lack of creativity may be their downfall if France can be well organised and resilient. 

If I were tipping, I would go Samoa just but I think it will be close.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I still remain convinced that France can be very competitive against Samoa. 

We have their game each against England for comparison and I have just had a look at the match stats for these and they are remarkable similar but with France making more metres and more contact metres and Samoa more tackle busts.

The Greece game for Samoa was a walk in the park and may have been too easy.  They need to be good to beat France and their lack of creativity may be their downfall if France can be well organised and resilient. 

If I were tipping, I would go Samoa just but I think it will be close.

I thought the Samoa Vs Greece game gave me a clear understanding of where Samoa are at. They came into that game with a goal to make a statement and they did that but at a big cost, take a look at the Samoans tries, Almost every try wasn’t structured and rather created by sheer physical dominance. The main thing that interested me was Samoa’s Completion Rate 65%, Compare that to Frances which sat at a crazy 90% against England.

Against Greece, France played very conservative, they Took 2 penalty goals from right in front whilst leading by a large margin and almost all of the tries were structurally made. 

If Samoa go into the France game with the same Mindset that they had against Greece, they’ll be in for a real shock. Samoa have shown there only real threat is being bigger than the opponent, and that won’t work against France. Personally I can’t see the Samoan attack scoring over one or two tries against France.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, SydneyRoosters said:

I thought the Samoa Vs Greece game gave me a clear understanding of where Samoa are at. They came into that game with a goal to make a statement and they did that but at a big cost, take a look at the Samoans tries, Almost every try wasn’t structured and rather created by sheer physical dominance. The main thing that interested me was Samoa’s Completion Rate 65%, Compare that to Frances which sat at a crazy 90% against England.

Against Greece, France played very conservative, they Took 2 penalty goals from right in front whilst leading by a large margin and almost all of the tries were structurally made. 

If Samoa go into the France game with the same Mindset that they had against Greece, they’ll be in for a real shock. Samoa have shown there only real threat is being bigger than the opponent, and that won’t work against France. Personally I can’t see the Samoan attack scoring over one or two tries against France.

Hoping for a great game whatever after starting this thread a bit tongue in cheek.

Vive la France!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Alan Robertson said:

I was just checking the match odds with a few bookies. France are 18/1 with one of the well known companies. 

I won't be gambling any money on France but I guess some of you will still be keen to back them.

That bet is well worth £5. The handicap line at France +29 points feels well in reach. 

5 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

I'm laughing at 'I can’t see the Samoan attack scoring over one or two tries against France' when even Greece managed two.

Looking back at the Samoa vs Greece game none of Samoa’s tries came through structure and they were all made through sheer physical dominance. This will not be an option against a first grade side like France. Samoa’s overall attack has looked very clunky and unsmooth, there is no real structure and the don’t look like a proper footy team. If France have a fairly solid defensive display they will easily hold Samoa to only a few Tries, and the tries that Samoa do score will all be from a bit of individual brilliance rather than teamwork.

France are a Rugby league team. consisting of players who play with each other week in and week out, most of them have probably known each other since they were around 14-15. There Cohesion is elite and unmatched by any other word cup team.

Samoa are the total opposite, there 13 players who have been put on a pitch to do an individual job rather than to work cohesively. That is probably more of a criticism to the Samoan coaching rather than players but the player’s individually have looked really poor also.

I simply can’t see how a team like Samoa can beat a team like France. Most people predicting Samoa are sheerly comparing the 2 team lists and nothing else, there’s so much other factors going into this game and I just don’t see Samoa winning.

I’ve been very good in my predictions so far this tournament and I’m very confident this one is correct too, but we’ll see. I will say this though If Samoa do win it will be through Individual brilliance and strong kick returns, Samoa are much stronger in the outside backs so that is where there points will stem from.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

I think if France can start well and frustrate Samoa in the first 10-15 minutes they have a real big shot at an upset result.

I definitely don’t think the margin will be any higher than 20 points unlike the bookies pricing up a Samoa 28+ point win and i fancy France to win instead by 4 points.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Looking back at the Samoa vs Greece game none of Samoa’s tries came through structure and they were all made through sheer physical dominance. This will not be an option against a first grade side like France. Samoa’s overall attack has looked very clunky and unsmooth, there is no real structure and the don’t look like a proper footy team. If France have a fairly solid defensive display they will easily hold Samoa to only a few Tries, and the tries that Samoa do score will all be from a bit of individual brilliance rather than teamwork.

France are a Rugby league team. consisting of players who play with each other week in and week out, most of them have probably known each other since they were around 14-15. There Cohesion is elite and unmatched by any other word cup team.

Samoa are the total opposite, there 13 players who have been put on a pitch to do an individual job rather than to work cohesively. That is probably more of a criticism to the Samoan coaching rather than players but the player’s individually have looked really poor also.

I simply can’t see how a team like Samoa can beat a team like France. Most people predicting Samoa are sheerly comparing the 2 team lists and nothing else, there’s so much other factors going into this game and I just don’t see Samoa winning.

I’ve been very good in my predictions so far this tournament and I’m very confident this one is correct too, but we’ll see. I will say this though If Samoa do win it will be through Individual brilliance and strong kick returns, Samoa are much stronger in the outside backs so that is where there points will stem from.

OK this has gone on for long enough now mate.  I think it's called a parody account isn't it?  Well played for keeping it up for so long but enough is enough. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, SydneyRoosters said:

@Man of Kent again, Criticise me rather than just leaving a laughing reaction, how am i meant to know what your laughing at when I wrote about 5 paragraphs.

3 hours ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Hope that helps.

Edited by Man of Kent

15 hours ago, Ragingbull said:

OK this has gone on for long enough now mate.  I think it's called a parody account isn't it?  Well played for keeping it up for so long but enough is enough. 

Yeah because I’m parody account for saying France will beat Samoa 😂, didn’t know you weren’t allowed to back the underdogs. 

I remember you calling me a parody account multiple times when I said England would batter Samoa, and looked what happend.

your predictions this tournament have been miles off.

Edited by SydneyRoosters
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

I’m very confused, you have a French profile picture but you seem you despise the France rugby league team, Very strange.

Not at all. I believe in French rugby league as a true expansion area for rugby league in the NH - they have played it there since 1935, and sport is about players - but it’s a slow burn. 

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

Not at all. I believe in French rugby league as a true expansion area for rugby league in the NH - they have played it there since 1935, and sport is about players - but it’s a slow burn. 

If you had knowledge of the French national team you wouldn’t be making these claims that Samoa will destroy them.

7 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Yeah because I’m parody account for saying France will beat Samoa 😂, didn’t know you weren’t allowed to back the underdogs. 

I remember calling me a parody account multiple times when I said England would batter Samoa, and looked what happend.

your predictions this tournament have been miles off.

I've not used the term "parody account" untill today. Your claim is completely false.