Wheelchair Rugby League

44 minutes ago, Griff said:

There's the thing. It's never going to be a money spinner. At best, grants and sponsorship will get it to break even. It's a great spectacle but is it really like running RL?

Yep. It's Rugby League but with adapted rules to be played in wheelchairs, but is recognisably RL. To say otherwise is nonsense.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JM2010 said:

Sounds like there is going to be a lot wheelchair teams playing next season. What's the current structure and how will these new teams fit into it?

I don't think anyone expected the reaction to the World Cup to be quite as positive as it was, even the optimists - there may be a few problems 'til everyone gets accommodated.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

Yep. It's Rugby League but with adapted rules to be played in wheelchairs, but is recognisably RL. To say otherwise is nonsense.

I'm sure I'm in a minority here. It's an Emperor's New Clothes thing.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

16 hours ago, Griff said:

There's the thing. It's never going to be a money spinner. At best, grants and sponsorship will get it to break even. It's a great spectacle but is it really like running RL?

Its definitely recognisable to anyone who has watched a game of running rugby league. No doubt. The thousands who turned out to watch RLWC games would testify to that.

You may be right about it not being a money spinner in general, but lets be fair most people wouldn't have even know it was being played until it got the TV exposure during the World Cup. Wales have played 6 Celtic Cup tournaments (Wales v Ireland v Scotland) and they've been watched by a maximum of 50 people. Wales played Australia in a pre-RLWC test in Cardiff in front of maybe 20 people! But the World Cup showed that people will come to watch big tournament games given adequate exposure and marketing.

It may not be your cup of tea - I doubt it is for everyone, but I'd encourage you to get along and watch at least one top-level game before dismissing it as the Emperors New Clothes!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, JM2010 said:

Sounds like there is going to be a lot wheelchair teams playing next season. What's the current structure and how will these new teams fit into it?

Currently there are 6 teams playing in Super League and the Championship games have been regionalised to cut down on travelling costs. I'd imagine that given the current level of interest there may be some regional cluster games for the new developing teams to get some game time this season. Wales RL are looking at at least a tournament where all our teams can compete against each other (and probably add Hereford Harriers considering the number of Welsh Internationals in their squad). Less than 3 years ago there was only ONE team in Wales, now there are Torfaen Tigers, Cardiff Blues and West Wales to add to North Wales Crusaders pioneering work since 2013.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

While I understand the need to create more opprtunities and bigger events around the wheelchair game , I'd hope in the rush to build that the 'sport for all' ethos that runs the game is built on does not get lost in a flurry of teams of super athletes and it lose the core values that have made successful

Best moment for me of the World Cup was when the Wales WChair Team visited the Special Needs School where I work, the reaction from our students to the team was something else and not just to the crashes and high speeds . For our students it showed them a sport that was truly played by everyone as an equal and not a sport ( great as LDRL is and I'd love to see us have a go but it emphasises ' difference' ) and our kids lapped up the positivity and team closeness and also ' the differences' of the Welsh squad  and for a few of them could actually see themselves taking part and being accepted in a sporting enviroment as an equal ..

• Like 6

North Wales Crusaders finished off their 3rd Wheelchair Rugby League taster session last night and I'm pleased to say that we had on average 30 people down to each session. Some were our players, some new to the game liked it so much they came again, some where first timers try it out including some regular running players. Glad to see so many coming along and enjoying themselves.

Our regular training starts again in two weeks so look out for posters advertising our training sessions.

Edited by gogledd
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

The full article requires signing up, but the Tweet gives the main points.

• Like 4

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 21/01/2023 at 15:26, gogledd said:

North Wales Crusaders finished off their 3rd Wheelchair Rugby League taster session last night and I'm pleased to say that we had on average 30 people down to each session. Some were our players, some new to the game liked it so much they came again, some where first timers try it out including some regular running players. Glad to see so many coming along and enjoying themselves.

Our regular training starts again in two weeks so look out for posters advertising our training sessions.

Great that is!

• Like 2

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

On 15/12/2022 at 19:36, MattSantos said:

A mixed bag of a World Cup with a wonderful introduction of Wheelchair RL to the UK sporting landscape.

So, what's next?

Sat in the GMEX for the final was absolutely brilliant and i don't think we can afford to get this one wrong and/or be usurped by Union. My thoughts at the time were the same as they are now, this cannot be run by the clubs at the elite level. Whilst i would still want to see the clubs carry on the fantastic work they're doing, i would like to see the club level be the entry into the sport feeding into an elite competition that is played on free to air tv in the big arenas. Channel 4 would be great.

So, what does that look like.. I don't know, but as a starting point i'd want a competition governed by the RFL / IMG that invites participation and ownership akin to the way American franchises are run. Shared ownership, shared profits, shared marketing etc.

Teams. I want these games to be played in the great arenas we have through the UK and be a pathway for the elite players in the club comp*. I want to say like the 100 cricket comp, but i hate that...  Glasgow, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool, Hull, Nottingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Norn Ireland, Sheffield, Birmingham, Wrexham. All are possible cities / franchises. 

*The club comp still maintains the entry points into the community and retains all of the social benefits that the sport offers.

Initial thoughts. Thought i'd get back on the horse after the shambles / sadness that was the Emirates.

I don’t disagree with the sentiment, but, outside of a Paralympics or a World Cup, I don’t think there is appetite for any wheelchair sport that could translate into a weekly product that is commercially viable for a television network to pick up and subsidise.

22 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

I don’t disagree with the sentiment, but, outside of a Paralympics or a World Cup, I don’t think there is appetite for any wheelchair sport that could translate into a weekly product that is commercially viable for a television network to pick up and subsidise.

Why not?

16 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Fair point. How about a jazzy comp thats played over 2 weeks and played every year.

Do something. Someone!

• Like 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

2 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

There's nowt.

There's f all.

Although that's really disappointing thanks alot for replying.

or Chuffin' Nora!

Edited by Oxford

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political