Guasch

audois

10 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

How about life to a shrinking sport. Name the clubs over here who bring in levels of sponsorship. 

I agree.

You could equally pick quite a few English SL clubs and ask would the TV deal change without them.

Edited by Leonard

20 minutes ago, Leonard said:

I agree.

You could equally pick quite a few English SL clubs and ask would the TV deal change without them.

The biggest hurdle for French sides and a tv deal is the strength of the french union competition. But to even have a chance they need more than 1 team. In England we hang onto the heartlands comment which is important but the benefits of some clubs (in crowded areas) is not beneficial to the game as a whole. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Leonard said:

I think that's what certain clubs have believed for a long time and IMG are working on the same principle right now.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

2 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

The biggest hurdle for French sides and a tv deal is the strength of the french union competition. But to even have a chance they need more than 1 team. In England we hang onto the heartlands comment which is important but the benefits of some clubs (in crowded areas) is not beneficial to the game as a whole. 

And your solution is?

2 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Lock them in place, bring the FFRXIII to the table properly as partners not hangers on. Build from there.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

And your solution is?

I didn't know I was required to supply one, I was under the impression that opinions were allowed. But I will give you my opinion on a way forward (not that I originated these). There has to be at least 2 French sides to even push for a tv deal. Minimum standards of community development (schools, junior boys and girls, womens, amateur,) fully funded acadamy and reserve sides. If sides look to join outside the normal heartlands they need to be able to finance the above but that shouls apply to establiished clubs. 

9 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

I didn't know I was required to supply one, I was under the impression that opinions were allowed. But I will give you my opinion on a way forward (not that I originated these). There has to be at least 2 French sides to even push for a tv deal. Minimum standards of community development (schools, junior boys and girls, womens, amateur,) fully funded acadamy and reserve sides. If sides look to join outside the normal heartlands they need to be able to finance the above but that shouls apply to establiished clubs. 

Of course opinions are allowed but on platforms such as these they prompt questions.

The discussion about the French getting a Rugby League TV deal was debated on these pages not to long ago with a lot of honest comments coming from some of our French posters, it was assumed that there was not the market/interest in France for any broadcaster FTA or Subscription to invest in a TV deal as they would get no return from it.

But you also referred to over crowding of clubs in confined areas over here not being beneficial for the game, in your opinion what do we do about that if I may ask.

11 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

What will the FFRX111 bring to the table Tommy? Honest Question.

2 fully professional teams to start with. And, unlike those two teams on their own, a specific and direct interest in improving the talent pool available to the French National team.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

2 fully professional teams to start with. And, unlike those two teams on their own, a specific and direct interest in improving the talent pool available to the French National team.

Why don’t the NRL improve the french national team? They have the funding. Why is it the responsibility of the British game?

For that matter where is the french Maurice Lyndsey fighting to professionalise the french game?

At some point the french need to get serious about wether they want to improve their game and national team or just suckle on the teat of the British game.

Edited by binosh
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, binosh said:

Why don’t the NRL improve the french national team? They have the funding. Why is it the responsibility of the British game?

For that matter where is the french Maurice Lyndsey fighting to professionalise the french game?

At some point the french need to get serious about wether they want to improve their game and national team or just suckle on the test of the British game.

The British game managed to get £26m a year under this TV deal down from £40 a year all on its own. A massive drop.

I'm not sure the French are taking much, if anything, from the UK game to be honest.

The opening post and real examples of the impact of sponsorship suggests that Catalans are doing more than just fine.

At some point the french need to get serious about wether they want to improve their game and national team or just suckle on the test of the British game.

Because its an 18hr trip one way between the south of France and Sydney?

It isn't a responsibility of the British game, but it is mutually beneficial and the British game doesn't have lots going for it anyway.

I believe the French Maurice Lyndsey has just organised for France to host the 2025 World Cup and got their government to back it.

• Like 4

The Premier Sports deal is probably indicative what the TV market thinks British RL is worth outside of 7-8 clubs.

I can't see another French club here or there is going to be eating any else's dinner.

Edited by Leonard

10 minutes ago, Leonard said:

The British game managed to get £26m a year under this TV deal down from £40 a year all on its own. A massive drop.

I'm not sure the French are taking much, if anything, from the UK game to be honest.

The opening post and real examples of the impact of sponsorship suggests that Catalans are doing more than just fine.

They are taking just under £2M per season in central funding and 6-10 British players. I’d argue the point that the circa £30M they have had in funding in the last 18 years would have been better for the British game invested into either London or Widnes, and I use Widnes as an example of a team who had on a fantastic production line of youth players.

• Haha 1

They are taking just under £2M per season in central funding and 6-10 British players. I’d argue the point that the circa £30M they have had in funding in the last 18 years would have been better for the British game invested into either London or Widnes, and I use Widnes as an example of a team who had on a fantastic production line of youth players.

That's fair enough.

I disagree and think a lot of sides only have themselves to blame for where they are - probably Widnes and London included (I follow London). I would also like to see a 14 team SL though, so at that point I think the idea of taking slots falls away - if not the funding claim.

The fact is, on the basis of money put into the game by TV, English clubs have relatively wasted far far more so that the issue of what Catalans do or don't get is more of a side show for me.

1 minute ago, binosh said:

Invested? The fact is the salary cap covers putting a full time team on the pitch. There is little to no investment after that.

Trying to argue that it would much difference if that team is in Perpignan or Widnes is just shuffling the chairs about. There is zero difference to whether 10 English players play SL in Widnes or in France. We have had decent sums of SL money spent on Widnes and London to no real improvement to either fortunes and certainly no lasting legacy for that  'investment'.

Just now, Damien said:

Invested? The fact is the salary cap covers putting a full time team on the pitch. There is little to no investment after that.

Trying to argue that it would much difference if that team is in Perpignan or Widnes is just shuffling the chairs about. There is zero difference to whether 10 English players play SL in Widnes or in France. We have had decent sums of SL money spent on Widnes and London to no real improvement to either fortunes and certainly no lasting legacy for that  'investment'.

That was my point. At least Wakey now are getting a stand and there are hopeful signs at Cas of development.

But you could argue the money put into London and Widnes, for what now appears nothing, was a massive waste. It's tough to see the return or legacy for any of that.

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

So are you seriously telling me 30M into the french youth is better for the British game than 30M into say Widnes or Bradford who have churned out England internationals for years?

No Wonder we can’t get anywhere near the Aussies.

So are you seriously telling me 30M into the french youth is better for the British game than 30M into say Widnes or Bradford who have churned out England internationals for years?

But Widnes had seven years in the Super League - their demise was their own issue. The same with Bradford.

I am not sure Catalans are relevant to their predicaments. 

4 minutes ago, binosh said:

That isn't what happens though.

If Catalans turned up with a TV deal then that would be a benefit to Super League, saying they improve the french player pool is NOT a benefit to Super League, it’s a by product. 

Catalans is a cost, the fact they get some great sponsorship is awesome……. For them.

Edited by binosh

If Catalans turned up with a TV deal then that would be a benefit to Super League, saying they improve the french player pool is NOT a benefit to Super League, it’s a by product. 

Catalans is a cost.

Sky pay to broadcast Super League matches. Catalans are as critical as all those other clubs in producing those matches. Indeed, along with the top English teams they produce a lot of the very best matches.

Sky don't care why you are watching, just that you are watching. Catalans games perform no worse than any other.

When Sky tell us they think having Catalans in negatively impacts their valuation, come back to us.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Sky pay to broadcast Super League matches. Catalans are as critical as all those other clubs in producing those matches. Indeed, along with the top English teams they produce a lot of the very best matches.

Sky don't care why you are watching, just that you are watching. Catalans games perform no worse than any other.

When Sky tell us they think having Catalans in negatively impacts their valuation, come back to us.

For sure it would be interesting to know what the lousy current deal might have been if Catalans were swapped out for Fev or Halifax. Nothing against either side - but I think that would have been a net loss for viewership.

I believe SKY have also had additional Catalans home games for free over years using the Bein feeds - so Cats do contribute to the deal that way. Sky will be more than happy with free content.