Why Rugby League fans across the world should follow French Rugby League

10 hours ago, Madrileño said:

Let's just make sure that it is proper English like you hear on the BBC News, or possibly an Australian who actuallyknows about League.  

It should be in full evening dress, like the old days.

More seriously, who needs an English commentary?  Players' names are (or should be) the same in any language, you can see what's happening (it's not radio) and you can soon pick up a few French words for rugby terms if it really bothers you.

I've watched sporting events with commentaries in different languages - it's never bothered me.

• Like 4

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

11 minutes ago, Griff said:

More seriously, who needs an English commentary?  Players' names are (or should be) the same in any language, you can see what's happening (it's not radio) and you can soon pick up a few French words for rugby terms if it really bothers you.

I've watched sporting events with commentaries in different languages - it's never bothered me.

Been thinking about this.

I've found it useful to have English commentary when I'm picking up the rules or tactics of a new sport but, otherwise, it really doesn't matter. Some commentary is better than none at all and a lot of the time it's the quality of the replays and graphics (score up to date, clock accurate, that sort of thing) that makes the difference (as well as the obvious about the feed being decent enough in the first place).

We've had feeds from the US (and others) with English commentary that would frankly have done more harm than good to anyone new to the sport.

I don't think the audience in England or Australia for English language commentary of French RL is going to include too many newbies so French commentary is fine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

14 minutes ago, Griff said:

I agree, it is not essential, but it is ideal.  A well-read commentator can make a big difference.  It is not so much describing what is happening on the field, but it's also the extra/background info they give you along the way.  Something that would be invaluable for the French league as those of us who don't live there, know so little about it.  And those of us that avidly do follow it, can still only take that so far, as a lot is either in French or websites are dated etc.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, langpark said:

I agree, it is not essential, but it is ideal.  A well-read commentator can make a big difference.  It is not so much describing what is happening on the field, but it's also the extra/background info they give you along the way.  Something that would be invaluable for the French league as those of us who don't live there, know so little about it.  And those of us that avidly do follow it, can still only take that so far, as a lot is either in French or websites are dated etc.

definitely

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, langpark said:

100%

• Like 1

Unless you are a diehard few people will watch with a French commentary. It might not overly bother the people on here but next time you are at a match take a look at the people around you. Are they the sort that would watch a foreign film with sub-titles? I doubt they would watch a sports game either.

Incidentally, being a nerd in things like this, I have 'favourite' teams whose results I look out for. Since you ask it's Cronulla, St Gaudens and Mount Albert.😃

• Like 1

2 hours ago, langpark said:

Thought about learning French ?  

I'll be honest - I'm frequently embarrassed by folk who just expect foreign folk to learn English for them.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Griff said:

I'll be honest - I'm frequently embarrassed by folk who just expect foreign folk to learn English for them.

I'm afraid my post might have sparked this English/French debate.

I'd like to explain that my post was in response to another poster volunteering to produce an English commentary to add to the French match video's. 

I thought this seemed like a generous offer and a potentially very productive offer.

I'm sure there are many English speaking people, the world over who would be more inclined to watch Elite RL if the commentary was in English. 

That's all mate. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Griff said:

Read what I said again. I said it is not a deal breaker for me, I still watch matches just fine. I was stating what the ideal would be, especially if they are wanting to attract an audience beyond France. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Griff said:

Agreed @Griff . Seems a weird thing to be wasting time commenting on. And as you say elsewhere, kind of embarrassing...

2 hours ago, Madrileño said:

Agreed @Griff . Seems a weird thing to be wasting time commenting on. And as you say elsewhere, kind of embarrassing...

Once more for the last time, it seems you and Griff and the Ginger minge have either completely missed the point of my original post, or are deliberately mis-representing what was said.

I thought my original post was very simple and quite clear, so what's it all about lads?

Mischief making?

• Thanks 2

Let's be honest, French RL is pretty poor in almost every respect and is light years behind the UK and in a different Universe to the NRL.

Crowds, barely Championship level.

Standard of RL, lower than Championship level.

Worst of all the grounds, can't call them stadiums, it park football at best. BV (pre-redevelopment) and Wheldon Rd may be considered dumps by some by some, but they are super stadia by comparison to most of the French grounds.

I can't help but think the ship has sailed on this one - the WC is certainly the last chance for French RL in my opinion.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, fighting irish said:

Once more for the last time, it seems you and Griff and the Ginger minge have either completely missed the point of my original post, or are deliberately mis-representing what was said.

I thought my original post was very simple and quite clear, so what's it all about lads?

Mischief making?

I've not commented on your post.

• Like 1