World record attempt

POR

57 minutes ago, Dave T said:

absolutely, i get your explanation, it's not that that confuses me.

I'm just not sure clubs posting press releases that make them look a bit dim are good jokes. Like I say, I assumed I was missing something. I wasn't sure if it was something to do with Fev and their World Record attempt. 😆

Fair enough 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tonka said:

I can’t explain it any better 🤣

I mean if it’s not your sense of humour, that’s fine, it’s a very subjective thing.  But that’s the joke anyway, as far as I can make out.

Is it one of those Beaumont-esque jokes where once you've been made to look daft you pretend it was meant all along? 

• Like 1

This is way OTT too. Bradford had a bit of a push to try and get a half decent crowd for their opener. The language used was a bit unnecessary and if it was tongue in cheek it should have probably been a bit more obvious as it didn't come across as a joke. 

But instead of being happy that someone is trying to get people into a RL game they are criticised for it - heavily. Few posters have mentioned the end result (one or two have), almost 5000 for a second division opener is not to be sniffed at. And they get accused of being "stupid" by fans of some Super League clubs. Many of whom will get lower attendance than that for most of their games. 

Give your collective heads a wobble and maybe get your own club to do better.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

This is way OTT too. Bradford had a bit of a push to try and get a half decent crowd for their opener. The language used was a bit unnecessary and if it was tongue in cheek it should have probably been a bit more obvious as it didn't come across as a joke. 

But instead of being happy that someone is trying to get people into a RL game they are criticised for it - heavily. Few posters have mentioned the end result (one or two have), almost 5000 for a second division opener is not to be sniffed at. And they get accused of being "stupid" by fans of some Super League clubs. Many of whom will get lower attendance than that for most of their games. 

Give your collective heads a wobble and maybe get your own club to do better.

There was hardly heavy criticism. 

But they apparently wrote a weird joke in their press release and then missed the record by almost 50%. They got a very good crowd, but the whole thing is well worthy of criticism. 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

There was hardly heavy criticism. 

But they apparently wrote a weird joke in their press release and then missed the record by almost 50%. They got a very good crowd, but the whole thing is well worthy of criticism. 

According to what I read on here, the crowd at Bradford was 3 times the averages of the other games played? 

Even if they provided a poorly written promotional tweet, I still don't see how that makes them "well worthy of criticism", in fact I think it's very harsh. Especially so when we both know that Salford or Wakefield will be delivering lower crowds on a regular basis. 

I think the Leigh rebrand is particularly naff but fair play they are putting in some effort to try and get a decent crowd at their opening game. Let's see more effort from all instead of nit picking about those that are actually pushing and encouraging people to attend, however clumsy. 

Peace. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

According to what I read on here, the crowd at Bradford was 3 times the averages of the other games played? 

Even if they provided a poorly written promotional tweet, I still don't see how that makes them "well worthy of criticism", in fact I think it's very harsh. Especially so when we both know that Salford or Wakefield will be delivering lower crowds on a regular basis. 

I think the Leigh rebrand is particularly naff but fair play they are putting in some effort to try and get a decent crowd at their opening game. Let's see more effort from all instead of nit picking about those that are actually pushing and encouraging people to attend, however clumsy. 

Peace. 

I think you are overthinking it. 

The best club in the world could do something naff and it will get criticism. That ain't anything to get worried about. The criticisms are not particularly of Bradford as a club, they are about this press release (which is either terrible, or a joke depending on who you talk to) and probably an element of disappointment about a crowd that was hoped to be c9k, coming in at less than 5k.

Why do people care so much about the press release? Probably slightly dissapointing result but still a crowd that provided nearly a 3rd of the total champ gates this weekend. Not bad I don't think and if they can get it right on the pitch there will be higher gates to follow this year I am sure. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, OdsalBull said:

Why do people care so much about the press release? Probably slightly dissapointing result but still a crowd that provided nearly a 3rd of the total champ gates this weekend. Not bad I don't think and if they can get it right on the pitch there will be higher gates to follow this year I am sure. 

No they didn't get it 100% right and deserve to be criticised. They should just not bother. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

I think you are overthinking it. 

The best club in the world could do something naff and it will get criticism. That ain't anything to get worried about. The criticisms are not particularly of Bradford as a club, they are about this press release (which is either terrible, or a joke depending on who you talk to) and probably an element of disappointment about a crowd that was hoped to be c9k, coming in at less than 5k.

I'm really not overthinking it Dave. I am obviously writing after the event and reading the posts retrospectively. Scanning through the other posts and threads I don't see any criticism of the other clubs who had much smaller crowds? Is it acceptable to have smaller crowds as long as you don't aim higher in the first place? 

I share your opinion on the tweet in question, it certainly didn't come across as a joke and indeed, was a bit pointless calling it a world record. But that's hardly the crime of the century is it? They should be cut a bit of slack. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Masked Poster said:

I'm really not overthinking it Dave. I am obviously writing after the event and reading the posts retrospectively. Scanning through the other posts and threads I don't see any criticism of the other clubs who had much smaller crowds? Is it acceptable to have smaller crowds as long as you don't aim higher in the first place? 

I share your opinion on the tweet in question, it certainly didn't come across as a joke and indeed, was a bit pointless calling it a world record. But that's hardly the crime of the century is it? They should be cut a bit of slack. 

Bradford haven't been criticised for getting 4. 8k in itself. That is a very good crowd at Championship level. 

Maybe you aren't overthinking it. But you are certainly overstating it. Theyve hardly been hauled over the coals, much of the stick was for Gledhill. 

Maybe I've missed some harsh criticism in posts, not sure if they've been deleted now?

Edited by Dave T

34 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Bradford haven't been criticised for getting 4. 8k in itself. That is a very good crowd at Championship level. 

Maybe you aren't overthinking it. But you are certainly overstating it. Theyve hardly been hauled over the coals, much of the stick was for Gledhill. 

Maybe I've missed some harsh criticism in posts, not sure if they've been deleted now?

Well I'll be honest, I hadn't factored in the MG element so perhaps it was way off beam. 😆

But nonetheless, I still feel the overall reaction was unnecessarily critical. But happy to agree to disagree. 👍🏻

• Like 1

Unfortunately for the Bulls, they have a recent culture of exaggeration, hence why they've been pulled up over this. I said earlier, the crowd would have got more praise had they not tried this stunt beforehand and can't understand why they did because they got nowhere near.

20 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

Unfortunately for the Bulls, they have a recent culture of exaggeration, hence why they've been pulled up over this. I said earlier, the crowd would have got more praise had they not tried this stunt beforehand and can't understand why they did because they got nowhere near.

Which club do you support? 

14 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

Wakefield, but I'm not responsible for their crowds, their media or marketing, so it's irrelevant. They chose to do what they did, if criticism isn't allowed, we should close down the message boards.

I didn't think for one minute you were responsible. But looking at Wakefields serial underachieving regarding crowds leaves you in a glass house throwing stones I'm afraid. When was the last time they had a 10k crowd for example? 

But rather than criticise I'd prefer it if all clubs make an effort, regardless of whether they get everything right every time. 

1 minute ago, daz39 said:

What's our gate got to do with it? it's the bucket rattlers spouting not us.

Real classy mate. Your club is bankrolled by a rich guy, it certainly couldn't survive on it's terrible crowds. One day he won't be there.... maybe you will be rattling buckets of your own.

But anyway, the point is you are ridiculing a club trying to get a good crowd. Maybe Huddersfield could try it one day. 

Seems to me that plenty on here are ready to leap at the chance to have a go at Bradford even if the "record crowd" marketing was ill conceived.  

4800 is a very good attendance for the championship and even better for a club that finished 9th last year and was beaten by Whitehaven at Odsal.  Whitehaven themselves would admit they don't take hundreds of away supporters.

Very typical RL to find a negative out of a positive. 

• Like 1