RL hits Birmingham

16 hours ago, JM2010 said:

I read that Coventry/Midlands helped set up some junior clubs in Coventry a couple of years ago. 
Is the same being done in Birmingham?

How many junior RL clubs are there currently in the West Midlands?

Coventry Bears have a number of junior clubs and are also doing development work in schools this year. A number of other clubs in the midlands also run juniors and there is juniors festivals every summer. 

• Like 3

On 20/02/2023 at 20:54, welshmagpie said:

England vs Jamaica would do well there.

Large Jamaican population in Birmingham and around the West Midlands. 

maybe... we can test that hypothesis with the reasonably promoted (at least locally) RU game between England Deaf RU and Jamaica Deaf RU on Sunday in Birmingham....

The bigger problem in Birmingham is that while there's a lot of rugby (U) played, Birmingham is the last big city (standfast Trafford in South Manchester) to have retained the 11+ and grammar schools, which historically have fed the RU sides. RU participation is struggling in the city because the products of the school production lines move away now much more than they stay. For a long time it did well because RU in the city provided the social scene, the contacts, and the private club out of hours drinking. The world's moved on, licensing laws have been relaxed etc. It's not (at best) the 1980s anymore - the RU heyday in the city was really the 60s and 70s anyway. But the grammars are still the engines of youth rugby in the city (alongside the usual hardworking M&J volunteers).

Clubs are trying to address that - and do more in the local communities - one of them got a TV series out of it (School of Hard Knocks on SkySports), but it's tough going.

Birmingham, like virtually everywhere else, is a football city. Changing demographics mean there's a lot of hockey there too now - and cricket remains relatively strong. 

Making rugby (either RL or RU) work from scratch in Birmingham as a spectator sport is going to be a huge challenge - especially in RL's case essentially from scratch. When the city had a top flight RU club they got a couple of thousand. When they had a level 2 RU club, they struggled to break a thousand. 

I'm going to go and watch Hurricanes, I want them to work, but it's going to be very tough I think. There's a big residual RU apparatus in the city which is hardly making waves. I don't think (personal view) that many people are sitting around waiting for RL to happen - but there's basically none sitting around waiting for RU either. 

Essentially, Not A Rugby City. 

I'd be delighted to be proved wrong. But that's a lifetime in and around the city.

I do think they might do better in Birmingham than Coventry though as even the minority that are interested ought to be bigger in the former just on raw numbers. You won't get 'proper Brummies' (TM) watching anything with Coventry in the name though (and vice versa) - hence probably the name change.

Edited by iffleyox
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, iffleyox said:

maybe... we can test that hypothesis with the reasonably promoted (at least locally) RU game between England Deaf RU and Jamaica Deaf RU on Sunday in Birmingham....

The bigger problem in Birmingham is that while there's a lot of rugby (U) played, Birmingham is the last big city (standfast Trafford in South Manchester) to have retained the 11+ and grammar schools, which historically have fed the RU sides. RU participation is struggling in the city because the products of the school production lines move away now much more than they stay. For a long time it did well because RU in the city provided the social scene, the contacts, and the private club out of hours drinking. The world's moved on, licensing laws have been relaxed etc. It's not (at best) the 1980s anymore - the RU heyday in the city was really the 60s and 70s anyway. But the grammars are still the engines of youth rugby in the city (alongside the usual hardworking M&J volunteers).

Clubs are trying to address that - and do more in the local communities - one of them got a TV series out of it (School of Hard Knocks on SkySports), but it's tough going.

Birmingham, like virtually everywhere else, is a football city. Changing demographics mean there's a lot of hockey there too now - and cricket remains relatively strong. 

Making rugby (either RL or RU) work from scratch in Birmingham as a spectator sport is going to be a huge challenge - especially in RL's case essentially from scratch. When the city had a top flight RU club they got a couple of thousand. When they had a level 2 RU club, they struggled to break a thousand. 

I'm going to go and watch Hurricanes, I want them to work, but it's going to be very tough I think. There's a big residual RU apparatus in the city which is hardly making waves. I don't think (personal view) that many people are sitting around waiting for RL to happen - but there's basically none sitting around waiting for RU either. 

Essentially, Not A Rugby City. 

I'd be delighted to be proved wrong. But that's a lifetime in and around the city.

I do think they might do better in Birmingham than Coventry though as even the minority that are interested ought to be bigger in the former just on raw numbers. You won't get 'proper Brummies' (TM) watching anything with Coventry in the name though (and vice versa) - hence probably the name change.

500 against Cornwall (who presumably didn’t bring many away fans) is a great start then. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

Coventry Bears have a number of junior clubs and are also doing development work in schools this year. A number of other clubs in the midlands also run juniors and there is juniors festivals every summer. 

There are 4 Midlands Festivals this year, two in the East and two in the West, each with an open invite to all junior clubs in the region. 

The Hurricanes have made clear that they do not intend to start new clubs, but will instead focus on supporting clubs already established. 

Some junior clubs have collaborated to ensure regular additional fixtures are occurring over and above the festivals, as they run considerably longer seasons than just over the festival period. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

Which clubs did they set up? I remember Coventry Dragons, but I think they folded a few years ago. 

13 minutes ago, langpark said:

Which clubs did they set up? I remember Coventry Dragons, but I think they folded a few years ago. 

Sorry when I say juniors I mean junior age groups. Yes Coventry Dragons folded but there is a the Coventry Bears and Leamington Royals locally. Telford, Birmingham and Oxford make up the Midlands Premier. As far as I know they all have, or intend to, have junior age groups 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Sorry when I say juniors I mean junior age groups. Yes Coventry Dragons folded but there is a the Coventry Bears and Leamington Royals locally. Telford, Birmingham and Oxford make up the Midlands Premier. As far as I know they all have, or intend to, have junior age groups 

Isn’t there also a club in Stoke?

Think there’s also a few clubs in the east such as Nottingham and Sherwood 

I think the Midlands could be a region that could become quite strong 

8 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

I thought I read in the lead up to the World Cup that the Bears were going to establish some new clubs locally. But perhaps they too were referring to more age groups within the Bears club. 

7 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Isn’t there also a club in Stoke?

Think there’s also a few clubs in the east such as Nottingham and Sherwood 

I think the Midlands could be a region that could become quite strong 

Yes there's a Midlands merit league which i think has around 8 teams including Stoke. Sherwood and Nottingham play in the Yorkshire league I think with their reserves in the Midlands merit league 

8 minutes ago, langpark said:

I thought I read in the lead up to the World Cup that the Bears were going to establish some new clubs locally. But perhaps they too were referring to more age groups within the Bears club. 

Yes 4 junior age clubs which tied into the Coventry Bears league 1 team. Coventry Bears are still running juniors 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Impartial Observer said:

I've heard a rumout that Stuart Hood (ex worcester jags) is now involved at Birmingham Bulldogs. If he follows the same model as he tried previously they will constantly move grounds and then announce they are going semi pro  

given they've already played at Kings Norton RFC, Aston OE, Moseley, Witton, etc*.... I think they've got the first part weighed off. That's not a criticism by the way - they've done really well to be going for about 34 years now with basically no infrastructure, so they're not quite as nomadic as they might look. Some of them have been decent length stays.

*those are just the ones I can remember. There are probably more. 

46 minutes ago, Impartial Observer said:

I've heard a rumout that Stuart Hood (ex worcester jags) is now involved at Birmingham Bulldogs. If he follows the same model as he tried previously they will constantly move grounds and then announce they are going semi pro  

Let's just say was very surprised to hear this. Bulldogs have done an amazing job to keep going for so long. Let's hope they don't now overextend themselves like Worcester Jaguars did. 

2 hours ago, iffleyox said:

given they've already played at Kings Norton RFC, Aston OE, Moseley, Witton, etc*.... I think they've got the first part weighed off. That's not a criticism by the way - they've done really well to be going for about 34 years now with basically no infrastructure, so they're not quite as nomadic as they might look. Some of them have been decent length stays.

*those are just the ones I can remember. There are probably more. 

I didnt realise they had been around so long. I think Worcester had more home grounds than games played.

3 hours ago, Impartial Observer said:

He’s new chairman. Good luck to all involved is all I’ll say. 

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

Chairman and social media manager based on their most recent media output 👀

Yep. Tell tale sign, that and ridiculous sponsorship options available on their website.

Inwon’t fault any club for attempting to bring additional finance in - that’s to be applauded. I’m just unsure any self-respecting business person would view ‘walking the team out’ in front of 30 family and friends as a deciding factor to part with cash. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
16 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

I was looking at their social media sites today and they haven't been updated for quite a while. Are they still going? How about the juniors setup? They haven't attended any of the regional festivals as originally planned. I hope all is ok there.

Bulldogs? 

Yes they are still going, just. As predicted above the new chairman annoyed lots of people, threw his toys out of the pram, and left after 2 games. 

He allegedly shut down the Bulldogs social media sites and website, amongst other things, when he left. The club nearly didn't survive but thankfully players have stayed loyal and they are managing to play games. 

5 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

Bulldogs? 

Yes they are still going, just. As predicted above the new chairman annoyed lots of people, threw his toys out of the pram, and left after 2 games. 

He allegedly shut down the Bulldogs social media sites and website, amongst other things, when he left. The club nearly didn't survive but thankfully players have stayed loyal and they are managing to play games. 

Goodness. Thanks for sharing.

I'm not tech savvy enough to post the link, but they had to create a new Facebook page after the "chairman" left. It has been updated a few times, so would be the best place to look for information.

• Thanks 1