AI OVERKILL

Fully agree Copa , films these days seem to be , can`t be arsed finding a decent script , lets just throw out another Marvel film or fast and furious 20 . Music much the same .Used to be 8 track or 16 track studios , but nowadays unlimited tracking avaiable which unfortunately tempts artists to drown the record in the backwash ......Sometimes watch those Sky arts programmes on best albums and how they were put together and even quite a while ago they find instruments being played on the track that they had forgotten it was on there because it was so far down in the mix .I`ll go for less is more everytime .

On 13/05/2023 at 14:53, ivans82 said:

Fully agree Copa , films these days seem to be , can`t be arsed finding a decent script , lets just throw out another Marvel film or fast and furious 20 . Music much the same .Used to be 8 track or 16 track studios , but nowadays unlimited tracking avaiable which unfortunately tempts artists to drown the record in the backwash ......Sometimes watch those Sky arts programmes on best albums and how they were put together and even quite a while ago they find instruments being played on the track that they had forgotten it was on there because it was so far down in the mix .I`ll go for less is more everytime .

Music and movies have always had a large proportion of cynical, unimaginative crud.

Whatever your own personal "golden age", the internet allows you to look at all the generic filler clogging up the charts back then, mostly dominating the things you fondly remember nowadays.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

AI is fun for getting it to write cheesy poetry about rugby league or rugby league clubs. It can use different poetry styles too…

….

The National Rugby League

Oh, how I love to watch you play, With all your passion and your might, The way you run and tackle and throw, You fill my heart with such delight.

I love the way you cheer and shout, When your team scores a try or goal, The way you sing your team's song out loud, It makes me feel so proud and whole.

I love the way you come together, As one big family, to support, Your team through thick and thin, no matter what, You're always there, right to the end.

So thank you, National Rugby League, For all the joy you bring to me, I will always be a fan, no matter what, You will always hold a special place in my heart.

.. …

There once was a league so great It was played by the best of the state, The teams played with flair And the crowd went wild there, And the players were never late.

…..

Upon the field of green,

Where two teams do meet,

The battle cry is keen,

And passion runs so fleet.

The ball is passed with speed,

And players charge ahead,

The crowd goes wild with glee,

And all their hearts are freed.

The whistle blows the end,

And one team does rejoice,

The other team is sad,

But both have played with choice.

So let us all applaud,

The players and the game,

And let us all be glad,

That rugby league is here.

10 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Music and movies have always had a large proportion of cynical, unimaginative crud.

Whatever your own personal "golden age", the internet allows you to look at all the generic filler clogging up the charts back then, mostly dominating the things you fondly remember nowadays.

That's definitely true to an extent but it's been well documented that we are now in a kind cultural stasis. A big part of it is that avenues that young working class (and many middle class) kids could once have taken are closed, privatised or too expensive and become pretty much the sole reserve of a tiny proportion of very wealthy people. 

A massive part in the musical, artistic, literary (etc) flowering from the 50s onwards was the opening up of higher education to working class kids and to their parents having stable, secure employment. Being able to eek a living on the dole while doing gigs or painting or trying to crack that first novel (or whatever) was also important. That's next to impossible now.

Obviously there's the exceptions but the above is a very definite pattern that gives us much of the culture we have today.

I asked ChatGPT to write a sonnet about Sam Burgess and the 2014 South Sydney Rabbitohs.

In ages past, where legends cast their light, A tale unfolds of warriors strong and true, Of Sam Burgess, whose heart burned fierce and bright, For Rabbitohs, his spirit wore the hue.

In Twenty-Fourteen, history did unfold, The South Sydney Rabbitohs took the stage, With Burgess leading, bold and uncontrolled, A team of heroes, bound by passion's gauge.

Through trials faced, they forged a path so grand, Their foes defeated, vanquished in their wake, The Red and Green, a symbol proud and grand, The NRL's foundation did they shake.

Oh, Sam Burgess, a beacon on the field, A champion, whose glory is revealed.

With sweat and blood, they fought upon the field, Through mud and rain, their spirit never waned, In unity, their strength was thus revealed, A brotherhood of warriors unchained.

With steely gaze and muscles wrought with might, Sam Burgess charged, his will could not be bent, The Rabbitohs, their victory in sight, Each try and tackle marked a bold intent.

No challenge posed would break their resolute, Their triumph's fire blazed with fervent might, And as the whistle blew, their chant acute, The faithful roared, their joy ignited bright.

Oh, Sam Burgess, a symbol of the fight, A legend bound to South Sydney's delight.

Though years have passed, their legacy endures, The 2014 Rabbitohs, etched in lore, Sam Burgess, captain, heart so true and pure, Their triumphs echoed, celebrated more.

So raise a cheer, for those who paved the way, For Sam Burgess and the mighty Rabbitohs, Their triumphs in our hearts forever stay, Their spirit lives, where legends interpose.

In Shakespeare's verse, their tale shall never fade, The Red and Green, their banner still displayed.

• Like 1

Sting the latest to come down hard on AI interfering in the integrity of modern music , and Carl Bernstein warning of the possible spread of mis-information  in journalism . Opposition is growing but not fasr enough .

12 hours ago, Copa said:

AI is fun for getting it to write cheesy poetry about rugby league or rugby league clubs. It can use different poetry styles too…

….

The National Rugby League

Oh, how I love to watch you play, With all your passion and your might, The way you run and tackle and throw, You fill my heart with such delight.

I love the way you cheer and shout, When your team scores a try or goal, The way you sing your team's song out loud, It makes me feel so proud and whole.

I love the way you come together, As one big family, to support, Your team through thick and thin, no matter what, You're always there, right to the end.

So thank you, National Rugby League, For all the joy you bring to me, I will always be a fan, no matter what, You will always hold a special place in my heart.

.. …

There once was a league so great It was played by the best of the state, The teams played with flair And the crowd went wild there, And the players were never late.

…..

Upon the field of green,

Where two teams do meet,

The battle cry is keen,

And passion runs so fleet.

The ball is passed with speed,

And players charge ahead,

The crowd goes wild with glee,

And all their hearts are freed.

The whistle blows the end,

And one team does rejoice,

The other team is sad,

But both have played with choice.

So let us all applaud,

The players and the game,

And let us all be glad,

That rugby league is here.

AI's poetry is truly ######. It's as if nobody's pointed it to any actual decent poetry. There's no real money in poetry though, so it's probably very low down on its targets.

Perhaps AI should do the Poet Laureate stuff and we could have a "National Poet" instead that doesn't have to create stuff for the Royal Family. Most of the Royal poems are rubbish, or at least by the standards of their creators.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

3 hours ago, bbfaz said:

I asked ChatGPT to write a sonnet about Sam Burgess and the 2014 South Sydney Rabbitohs.

In ages past, where legends cast their light, A tale unfolds of warriors strong and true, Of Sam Burgess, whose heart burned fierce and bright, For Rabbitohs, his spirit wore the hue.

In Twenty-Fourteen, history did unfold, The South Sydney Rabbitohs took the stage, With Burgess leading, bold and uncontrolled, A team of heroes, bound by passion's gauge.

Through trials faced, they forged a path so grand, Their foes defeated, vanquished in their wake, The Red and Green, a symbol proud and grand, The NRL's foundation did they shake.

Oh, Sam Burgess, a beacon on the field, A champion, whose glory is revealed.

With sweat and blood, they fought upon the field, Through mud and rain, their spirit never waned, In unity, their strength was thus revealed, A brotherhood of warriors unchained.

With steely gaze and muscles wrought with might, Sam Burgess charged, his will could not be bent, The Rabbitohs, their victory in sight, Each try and tackle marked a bold intent.

No challenge posed would break their resolute, Their triumph's fire blazed with fervent might, And as the whistle blew, their chant acute, The faithful roared, their joy ignited bright.

Oh, Sam Burgess, a symbol of the fight, A legend bound to South Sydney's delight.

Though years have passed, their legacy endures, The 2014 Rabbitohs, etched in lore, Sam Burgess, captain, heart so true and pure, Their triumphs echoed, celebrated more.

So raise a cheer, for those who paved the way, For Sam Burgess and the mighty Rabbitohs, Their triumphs in our hearts forever stay, Their spirit lives, where legends interpose.

In Shakespeare's verse, their tale shall never fade, The Red and Green, their banner still displayed.

That's not a sonnet. I couldn't get it to write any sonnet. I also couldn't get it to write anything that didn't rhyme.

It does the thing that a lot of new poets do, which is to mangle the language to force a rhyme ("the NRL's foundations did they shake" - who says that??)

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

I was astonished when it clearly was not 10 lines long and written in iambic pentameter.

I also stumped ChatGPT by asking it to write a question in the form of an answer, which is the title of the 2000 album by People Under The Stairs.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Posted on the morning of April the 1st? Hmm...

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson