Captain's challenge

Have we already had a debate about this?

It's probably the one NRL innovation that we haven't taken up here, and for me it's probably one of the better new ideas. Refs do make mistakes. I rarely watch a game of SL without thinking 'captains challenge' at some point. Getting the chance to rectify these mistakes immediately helps stop the endless moans about refs handing a win to whatever team afterwards. And apart from adding an interesting element of jeopardy i.e. "do we risk challenging this when we might need it later in the game at a crucial time", it also cuts down on a lot of nonsense from the players. I always enjoy it when the ref gets the chance to say "Do you want to challenge it? No? Go away then."

I'd be all for it in SL. Happy to be shot down!

• Like 2

I'm all for it - first thought that sprung to mind was when the ref asks a player whether they want to challenge something they're having a go about, HP beat me to it but I also particularly enjoy that. I do think it helps in terms of cutting down moaning at the ref if there's a respectful means to challenge a decision.

The NRL has the camera numbers and quality , and of course at all matches , that makes their extensive use of video technology viable . Even replays of tries here are often unclear due to the lack of camera clarity 

I didn't particularly like the idea and in general I prefer less tech and not more but I do like how it shuts down the complaints... a simple "do you want to challenge" see's players back down when they know they made a mistake and just wanted to deflect or vent.

And even those that are challenged are about 50-50 in favour of the original call which shows just how much refs do get right.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

The NRL clubs understood the two golden rules of the Captain's Challenge after only a handful of matches:

Rule 1 - don't challenge on the say-so of a prop.

Rule 2 - don't challenge on the say-so of a winger.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson