Sun 18th Jun: CCQF: York Knights v Leigh Leopards KO 17:00 (Viaplay)

Who will win?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• York Knights
    • Leigh Leopards

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/06/23 at 16:30

On 16/06/2023 at 21:19, Simon Hall said:

Give us 1.5m of sky money every year and see how we do. 

Yep, been saying this for years. There are several clubs in SL and the championship that have very little between them but being in the right place at the right time at several points over the last 30 years. 

• Like 4

On 16/06/2023 at 21:54, DEANO said:

Yep there used to be thousands go from York as well as all the other clubs outside the top flight. Trips were booked before the season started. You never knew who you’d be watching. Then came sky and super league!!!!!

And the end of test series as we knew them.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

Yep, been saying this for years. There are several clubs in SL and the championship that have very little between them but being in the right place at the right time at several points over the last 30 years. 

The same thing applies to life in general , timing is everything , being in a position to take advantage , otherwise also known as ' luck ' 😉

• Like 1

On 16/06/2023 at 07:15, Fevrover said:

Of course they will they want the big boys at Wembley and they wonder why the final attendances are down. It was the be all and end all Wembley when a lot more teams had a chance  to get there. But then came SL to make us better to compete with Australia and New Zealand  -----

That was never the reason for SL. If Sky didn’t wave the chequebook then I think we’d be lucky that half of the teams then in the top flight would still exist in the pro game, if at all. The game was even more on it’s arris then than it is now.

15 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

The same thing applies to life in general , timing is everything , being in a position to take advantage , otherwise also known as ' luck ' 😉

"Luck is only important Insofar as getting the opportunity to sell yourself at the right moment" - Frank Sinatra.

• Like 1

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

"Luck is only important Insofar as getting the opportunity to sell yourself at the right moment" - Frank Sinatra.

" In life everybody will get opportunity , being in a position to recognise and take that opportunity is the key " - GUBRATS 

34 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

That was never the reason for SL. If Sky didn’t wave the chequebook then I think we’d be lucky that half of the teams then in the top flight would still exist in the pro game, if at all. The game was even more on it’s arris then than it is now.

You may have forgot that the game also went through it's biggest transition ever when SL came along in '96, we moved to Summer Rugby and at the time one of the arguments - not everyone was in favour - was that playing and training in more clement conditions such as they enjoy "down under" will put us more on a par with them, it would also entice more kids to take up the sport no more freezing their Knackers off in the snow, winds and rain in the depths of winter which would lead to more and better professional player's. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gomersall said:

It was definitely mentioned if not the reason.

10 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

It was definitely mentioned if not the reason.

Not that I can remember. Sky needed content for their summer schedule and the game needed money, drastically. A marriage made in heaven but I can’t recall one of the driving forces being that it will mean the Ashes would be returning imminently. Desperation was the main factor for RL. Take the money or die were the options.

I for one don’t miss winter rugby, going to Odsal on a dark snowy night, or sometimes foggy, so much so you could only just make out the players or Fartown in the fog, it was a bit better at Clarence Street but still bloody cold. Do you remember the call out on the radio for volunteers to go down Sunday morning to clear the straw off the pitch that had been put down to stop it freezing, nah much prefer it now, still bloody cold and wet at times, certainly at the start of the season but on the whole the experience is better. Why would any kids these days subject themselves to the torture of winter rugby?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Expatknight said:

I for one don’t miss winter rugby, going to Odsal on a dark snowy night, or sometimes foggy, so much so you could only just make out the players or Fartown in the fog, it was a bit better at Clarence Street but still bloody cold. Do you remember the call out on the radio for volunteers to go down Sunday morning to clear the straw off the pitch that had been put down to stop it freezing, nah much prefer it now, still bloody cold and wet at times, certainly at the start of the season but on the whole the experience is better. Why would any kids these days subject themselves to the torture of winter rugby?

Agree with this, but also selfishly as a football fan, it's nice to watch two sports that generally flow the year-round between them. There's also the advantage of not having to try to finance both at the same time/deal with fixture clashes apart from a couple of crossover period at the start and end of a season (granted that crossover at the start of the RL season seems to be getting longer!).

2 hours ago, Expatknight said:

Summer rugby - in February, March and April  only in Rugby League lol.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gomersall said:

Not that I can remember. Sky needed content for their summer schedule and the game needed money, drastically. A marriage made in heaven but I can’t recall one of the driving forces being that it will mean the Ashes would be returning imminently. Desperation was the main factor for RL. Take the money or die were the options.

It has not said that the Ashes would return imminently, in fact it was quite the opposite aligning the Northern with the Southern Hemisphere seasons was the death knell of proper Ashes Tours, I went as a speccy on the '92 tour and had saved hard to go again in '96 but there it was gone!

Not everyone wanted the switch to Summer but as I said previously an argument of the 'pro summer brigade' stated that better training and playing conditions would benefit the British National team.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, overtheborder said:

Agree with this, but also selfishly as a football fan, it's nice to watch two sports that generally flow the year-round between them. There's also the advantage of not having to try to finance both at the same time/deal with fixture clashes apart from a couple of crossover period at the start and end of a season (granted that crossover at the start of the RL season seems to be getting longer!).

Not being a football fan by any Sky stretch of the imagination, my dismay came about when BARLA aligned with the pro game, I went in all kinds of weather and being amatuer many clubs did not have the facility of overhead cover, but we got year round RL.

13 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Not being a football fan by any Sky stretch of the imagination, my dismay came about when BARLA aligned with the pro game, I went in all kinds of weather and being amatuer many clubs did not have the facility of overhead cover, but we got year round RL.

I'm a bit too young to remember winter rugby, although being quite a fan of amateur RL myself, I have to say I can't imagine Wigan St Judes where I'd normally go is much fun in winter!

In all seriousness though you make a good point - a survey of people who are involved in the amateur game might be interesting as to whether they prefer summer or winter rugby. One thing that has been mentioned previously is that a lot of players are away for a week or two in summer so that depletes squads a bit, something I'd imagine would have been less of an issue in the winter game.

55 minutes ago, overtheborder said:

I'm a bit too young to remember winter rugby, although being quite a fan of amateur RL myself, I have to say I can't imagine Wigan St Judes where I'd normally go is much fun in winter!

In all seriousness though you make a good point - a survey of people who are involved in the amateur game might be interesting as to whether they prefer summer or winter rugby. One thing that has been mentioned previously is that a lot of players are away for a week or two in summer so that depletes squads a bit, something I'd imagine would have been less of an issue in the winter game.

The other distractions are Stag Do's and Weddings, obviously family Holidays and her indoors complaining that she had to stop in all winter because of bad weather, and now the weather is good in summer we can't go anywhere because of your rugby. For  the same reasons except the stag does summer rugby also impacts the kids and juniors.

1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

Ooof red card all day long - shocker

Looks like a win for plucky Leigh, then. :kolobok_wink:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 minutes ago, Wolfey Rovers said:

That's gonna be a lengthy ban, no attempt to put him flat. Direct horizontal. Probably one of the worst seen in a while.

With a sigh, Kaide Ellis sets aside his "Idiot of the Week" acceptance speech, unfinished.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson