Toronto Wolfpack 2023 fixtures

Apologies if this has been covered but would be interested to know if there’s any plans to play some of their traditional nearby sporting foes like Hamilton, Montreal or Ottawa on the east coast?

Perhaps even a downtown rivalry with the other Toronto team that has been mentioned (Saints I think)?  Seems like that might be the best way to rustle up local interest and control costs.

Not to say that they shouldn’t as well be playing faraway teams like Whistler and Atlanta.  I do understand North Americans have a different outlook on time and distance to us Europeans but just trying to think about practicalities.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

35 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Apologies if this has been covered but would be interested to know if there’s any plans to play some of their traditional nearby sporting foes like Hamilton, Montreal or Ottawa on the east coast?

Perhaps even a downtown rivalry with the other Toronto team that has been mentioned (Saints I think)?  Seems like that might be the best way to rustle up local interest and control costs.

Not to say that they shouldn’t as well be playing faraway teams like Whistler and Atlanta.  I do understand North Americans have a different outlook on time and distance to us Europeans but just trying to think about practicalities.

Apparently the problem with TWP playing the other Ontario teams is that the TWP squad is made up of the better players (for want of a better expression) from those three teams.

6 hours ago, Gomersall said:

For whatever reason any tweets I post don’t embed even though I haven’t changed any settings. This seemed to happen with the change from Twitter to X. Jon’s post above has embedded so the problem is at my end. Any ideas anyone?

Try and press the enter key after you copy your link (to go to a new line). I usually have to do that to embed.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

I tried that Damien but it didn’t work 🤷🏼

Are you trying to do this on a phone or on a PC/Mac? There should be option in the latter to paste the link as plain text. If you don't so that, you just get a link. In my browser it's a right-click opion.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Are you trying to do this on a phone or on a PC/Mac? There should be option in the latter to paste the link as plain text. If you don't so that, you just get a link. In my browser it's a right-click opion.

II’m using an iPad and have never had any problems previously until Elon Musk stuck his oar in. It seems to have happened when Twitter became X. Initially I thought it was something at their end but then I noticed other forum members were able to post and embed tweets.

39 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

II’m using an iPad and have never had any problems previously until Elon Musk stuck his oar in. It seems to have happened when Twitter became X. Initially I thought it was something at their end but then I noticed other forum members were able to post and embed tweets.

That's one of the few things that hasn't changed for me since Space Karen started destroying Twitter. Have you tried an alternative browser, just to see if that's the problem?

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

That's one of the few things that hasn't changed for me since Space Karen started destroying Twitter. Have you tried an alternative browser, just to see if that's the problem?

No. If it doesn’t resolve itself I’ll just carry on and post links.

On 20/08/2023 at 03:03, Gerrumonside ref said:

On 20/08/2023 at 03:43, Gomersall said:

Apparently the problem with TWP playing the other Ontario teams is that the TWP squad is made up of the better players (for want of a better expression) from those three teams.

Gomersall is right. The last couple years there have only been enough league players to have two teams running in Ontario. 

Back when other places like Hamilton and St Catharine's had teams, it was what now looks to have been a high point in interest in playing rugby. For example around the same time the Niagara Rugby Union ran 4 leagues and these days it's down to 2. Looks similar in the TRU. So interest is down a lot overall, and for clubs it could  be attractive to offer something a bit different with league instead of a 3rd or 4th XV squad. Now the clubs that ran 4 teams of various flavours have 2. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Gomersall said:

Can I just put it out there, that this is how to lay proper foundations to start something new. Even next year they are not commiting to a proper comp, just organising some away games to supplement their home games. The RFL could actually learn a lot from this.

Imagine, if instead of transplanting a Canadian team onto the British system, the RFL tried to develop a small North American League. I mean it's still possible for them to reach out and support the organisation without needing to commit very much with the benefit of strong relations between the two continents.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Gomersall said:

Thanks Pulga. X won’t let me embed tweets on here for what ever reason. I’m finding X next to useless since Musk bought it. Is their uselessness a general thing or has Musk got a personal vendetta against me?

It seems to be just you unfortunately. My embedding hasn't changed since Musk took over. 

new rise.jpg