1993 British Colts halfback ...Craig Murdock .... Did he kick on ?

Going by this article he was destined for a future promising career but I must admit that I don't recall his name.

https://stevericketts.com.au/2023/08/13/flashback-august-1993/

I attended the game at Tweed Heads. 

Edited by The Partisan

The Rugby League Fan's Mantra for helping the game grow internationally is ten two-letter words - IF IT IS TO BE, IT IS UP TO ME.

• The Partisan changed the title to 1993 British Colts halfback ...Craig Murdock .... Did he kick on ?

Obviously I should have checked Wikipedia and here before my impromptu post. 😁   https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/players/craig-murdock/summary.html

I'm assuming a representative career eluded him. 

The Rugby League Fan's Mantra for helping the game grow internationally is ten two-letter words - IF IT IS TO BE, IT IS UP TO ME.

12 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Out of interest does anyone have the names of the under 19’s squad that toured New Zealand in 1983?

No but was that separate from the Schoolboys organisation? I guess it was because I recall all the Sydney teams back then played in 5 grades which I think had U19s as the 5th grade. 

The Schoolboys only had a "merit" team that year which means they didn't play anyone, just selected a best-in-position team. (probably based on performances at National Championships)

12 hours ago, Mumby Magic said:

Yes to an extent. Wigan for a bit and I believe commentating now.

Craig works for the NHS in his day job as a business manager at Hull UTH. He is also an agent for several players, being the UK rep for Aussie company MAP Sports (e.g. he was Adrian Morley’s agent amongst others).

• Like 2

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

8 hours ago, Farmduck said:

Like any youth side there’s a lot of players that don’t make it in the professional game.

Adam Ritson was a name I remember back in the day who was highly thought of before his career ending illness.

4 minutes ago, Havenlad80 said:

Like any youth side there’s a lot of players that don’t make it in the professional game.

Adam Ritson was a name I remember back in the day who was highly thought of before his career ending illness.

Even the ones that crack first grade don't often make it bigly. About 10 years ago someone calculated the average NRL career at about 47 first grade games - about 3 seasons allowing for a few injuries and suspensions.

4 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

Even the ones that crack first grade don't often make it bigly. About 10 years ago someone calculated the average NRL career at about 47 first grade games - about 3 seasons allowing for a few injuries and suspensions.

The phrase “it’s a short career” definitely rings true for a large bulk of players.

On 15/08/2023 at 15:31, Farmduck said:

No but was that separate from the Schoolboys organisation? I guess it was because I recall all the Sydney teams back then played in 5 grades which I think had U19s as the 5th grade. 

The Schoolboys only had a "merit" team that year which means they didn't play anyone, just selected a best-in-position team. (probably based on performances at National Championships)

Farmduck, looking back my post wasn’t very clear.

I was after the names of the squad that represented the under 19’s British Amateur Rugby League Association (BARLA) tour to New Zealand in 1983.

Edited by Adelaide Tiger

15 hours ago, Havenlad80 said:

This is a good thread this.

The tour that always sticks in my mind is the 1993 junior kiwis tour to England which introduced us English RL fans to the great Henry Paul.

They beat GB U19”s at Wembley in 1st test but then got hammered in 2nd test at Wigan 

Played for Wigan and Hull for a while, not a bad player but probably never lived up to his potential.

He commentated for Radio Humberside for a while and he was actually really good at it. I feel like he might have given that up because it was conflicting with him being a player agent, but that might not have been the reason.