2023 Pacific Championships

Just now, Workington Man said:

A strange way to look at it. It looks to me like they are promoting a vibrant 6 team competition among their neighbours within the Pacific. 

Additionally they are sending a Tonga team (basically an NRL selection) to England for 3 games. They could have tried to keep Tonga back to join a (stronger) Pacific Championship, and sent another nation instead. 

By comparison, I don't see the RFL doing anything even remotely like this to engage their neighbouring countries. 

They are not “sending” anybody. England are bringing over Tonga. This has been in the diary for some time, well before these other games were arranged 

• Like 1

Just now, Workington Man said:

Additionally they are sending a Tonga team (basically an NRL selection) to England for 3 games. They could have tried to keep Tonga back to join a (stronger) Pacific Championship, and sent another nation instead. 

By comparison, I don't see the RFL doing anything even remotely like this to engage their neighbouring countries. 

They did not send Tonga. Tonga are coming to England because it took the NRL ages to arrange something and Tonga got sick of waiting. When the RFL invited Tonga to come Tonga took their opportunity. It's bizarre you are trying to twist that into anything else.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Spidey said:

They are not “sending” anybody. England are bringing over Tonga. This has been in the diary for some time, well before these other games were arranged 

OK. But I think we all know that it is the NRL who sanction the team going across.

It is the NRL (via the club's) who OK it. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Tonga even have the NRL logo on their jerseys.

The Tonga team is not being organised out of some offices in Nuku'alofa. They are coming as a group of NRL players, coaches and management. Nobody really believes otherwise, do they?

Edited by Workington Man
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Damien said:

and Tonga got sick of waiting. When the RFL invited Tonga to come Tonga took their opportunity. 

So, who are you saying actually got sick of waiting?

The Tonga Rugby League organisation? Based in Tonga? Like actual people in offices?? 

Or a group of NRL players?

Or.... Someone else?

Because "Tonga" as a rugby league federation on the island of Tonga, barely exist. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Workington Man said:

So, who are you saying actually got sick of waiting?

The Tonga Rugby League organisation? Based in Tonga? Like actual people in offices?? 

Or a group of NRL players?

Or.... Someone else?

Because "Tonga" as a rugby league federation on the island of Tonga, barely exist. 

You can either look at what was said at the time or make things up. You have obviously chosen the latter.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Havenlad80 said:

Don’t players have to sit out internationals for 12-24 months if they want to switch nations?

Nope they can play for one country for that year but they can't switch to another team until the next year. So that means you can't play for two countries in one year once you pick one you stick to that team. Which means nothing really because we only have one international tournament a year. 

7 hours ago, Havenlad80 said:

Don’t players have to sit out internationals for 12-24 months if they want to switch nations?

Nope they can play for one country for that year but they can't switch to another team until the next year. So that means you can't play for two countries in one year once you pick one you stick to that team. Which means nothing really because we only have one international tournament a year. 

10 hours ago, Mojo said:

It isn't based on calendar years though - you can't play for Australia in December and then Tonga in January.

You have to have a year (12 full months) gap before you can play for another nation that you qualify for.

4 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

It isn't based on calendar years though - you can't play for Australia in December and then Tonga in January.

You have to have a year (12 full months) gap before you can play for another nation that you qualify for.

They can change the next year there is no stand down period

Screenshot_20230819_005241_Chrome.jpg

3 minutes ago, Havenlad80 said:

Mickey Mouse rules making a mockery of international rugby league.

How on earth can it be justified that players feel Australian or New Zealanders one year then Tongan, Samoan, Fijian and Papuan the next following year?

Personally I would allow transferring from tier 1 to tier 2 but ban tier 2 to tier 1. I think this allows hasbeen Australians and Kiwis a chance to boost a tier 2 nation but stops those taking advantage of other countries and leaving them in the lurch when the tier 1 nations come knocking.

8 minutes ago, Havenlad80 said:

How on earth can it be justified that players feel Australian or New Zealanders one year then Tongan, Samoan, Fijian and Papuan the next following year?

The point being you can feel both at the same time. Imagine one parent from one country and one from another. You would definitely feel part of both. It’s a very nuanced situation, and I believe the rules are as good as they’re going to get

• Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Havenlad80 said:

It's not great but it's better than what was there before.

• Thanks 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 18/08/2023 at 02:50, Spidey said:

On 18/08/2023 at 02:52, Damien said:

They did not send Tonga. Tonga are coming to England because it took the NRL ages to arrange something and Tonga got sick of waiting. When the RFL invited Tonga to come Tonga took their opportunity. It's bizarre you are trying to twist that into anything else.

You are both correct. However, let’s not overlook what the NRL actually are organising.

As is usually the case, the NRL is underwriting more international RL this year than any other body.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

You are both correct. However, let’s not overlook what the NRL actually are organising.

As is usually the case, the NRL is underwriting more international RL this year than any other body.

I've seen reports claiming that this tournament is being underwritten to the tune of $7 million over next two years by the Australian Government. I have seen zero figures for the NRL.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

Thanks. That's not how I'd understood it. Where is the quote from?

I just Googled the International rugby league eligibility rules. I like it tbh it's the reason why the International games so better now. The old rules was worse. I remember one of the Tongan players training with the Tongan team during the week and one of the kangaroos players got injured so they pulled the Tongan player out and bought him to the Australian team to cover. I doubt we'll see that happening now

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Havenlad80 said:

That’s how heaps of Australians feel about their nationality. 34% of Australians were born overseas. 59% had at least 1 parent born overseas. It’s not unreasonable to feel a connection to your original country and Australia as well.

15 minutes ago, Mojo said:

Not true at all

(x) Pursuant to Rule (viii), a Player is entitled to move between a Tier One and a Tier 

Two or Tier Three Nation freely save that a Player may not change their National Team during any IRL Global Event (including any qualification matches played as part of that IRL Global Event, including Continental Qualification Matches) in which that Player is participating and may only represent one Nation during each IRL Global Event. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Damien said:

I've seen reports claiming that this tournament is being underwritten to the tune of $7 million over next two years by the Australian Government. I have seen zero figures for the NRL.

Sure, there is additional income coming in. This is not by pure luck. This is because the NRL are a body which have worked themselves into a position where the national government consider them a good investment both financially and strategically.

Are we disappointed by this? 

Do we think $7m over two years covers the entire costs of the proposed internationals?

The NRL should be commended for what international football is going to be delivered over the next two years.

• Like 1