A weekend in Leigh next season

The southern League enthusiasts tour rolls on (now in its 8th year) inspired by Derek’s Cup Final suit…

Never been to Leigh before, how do you have a good weekend (around a match)? Proper tourists of cheap pubs and CIU clubs… also match day itself - what time to get there, where to stand (we’ll be Leigh fans for the day - not had a club since Oxford went under), etc please.

Edited by iffleyox
  • Like 2

Leigh has never been somewhere to visit unless your going to friends or relatives or watching the rugby. I grew up in Leigh and looking back they had decent parks and Pennington flash. The town was built on mines and factories when to these closed nothing replaced them. I am not being critical of the town it is was it is.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Leigh has never been somewhere to visit unless your going to friends or relatives or watching the rugby. I grew up in Leigh and looking back they had decent parks and Pennington flash. The town was built on mines and factories when to these closed nothing replaced them. I am not being critical of the town it is was it is.

Yes but you can go to Manchester or wherever anytime. Previous trips have included Cas, Wakey, Fev, Batley - the whole point is to go *there* rather than somewhere else and bolt on a quick trip in for the match. A night out in Leigh is part of it.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, iffleyox said:

Yes but you can go to Manchester or wherever anytime. Previous trips have included Cas, Wakey, Fev, Batley - the whole point is to go *there* rather than somewhere else and bolt on a quick trip in for the match. A night out in Leigh is part of it.

Not from Leigh or ever been there but there is a pub called the Centurion which looks a proper Leigh RL pub. Featured in that Beaumont video on the Our League App

Edited by OnStrike
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, iffleyox said:

The southern League enthusiasts tour rolls on (now in its 8th year) inspired by Derek’s Cup Final suit…

Never been to Leigh before, how do you have a good weekend (around a match)? Proper tourists of cheap pubs and CIU clubs… also match day itself - what time to get there, where to stand (we’ll be Leigh fans for the day - not had a club since Oxford went under), etc please.

Not lived in Leigh for over 25 years but there is no shortage of pubs less than half a mile away in Town. One of my favourites was the George and Dragon next to the Bus Station and further down the road you do have with Weatherspoons pub and numerous ‘proper’ ale houses near the Town hall, Boars Head, White Lion. Numerous other decent bars on Lord St but the names have changed. 

If you did fancy Manchester, the the guided busway gets you there in 30 mins and it’s very cheap. 

On game day, head over Leigh Bridge (back towards the bus station) and that’s where you will find the Rugby themed pubs on the way to the ground. It is an event now and there are artists on 1 hr before kick off where the North stand is predominantly Full and the best place to embrace the atmosphere. There is a Large Pub outside the ground (this get busy)the Legends bar in the West Stand and the Robin Hood some 10 mins walk away and that’s where you will find Pennington Country Park which is a nature reserve. 

Other than that, Leigh’s a dump so I have done my best to polish a ###### but it’s my home Town born and bred 😂😂

Which game are you attending ?  Will be no issues for the Huddersfield or Wakefield games but Wigan will likely be at Capacity 👍

Stand in the North Stand for the atmosphere 👍

• Like 3

1 hour ago, iffleyox said:

There's plenty of pubs. Some have changed their names I mean the Centurion was changed to that because of Leigh I guess so are they now the leopard.

• Like 1

On 27/08/2023 at 07:59, iffleyox said:

When are you going? i'll try and meet up with your party there.

Depending on what you're interested in, Leigh Spinners Mill has a bunch of heritage factory type stuff, with a steam engine, a computer museum, art galleries and artists. Think it's only open on Saturdays though.

Leigh East and Leigh Miners grounds are both a very short walk away from LSV, you could take in a NCL game on Saturday afternoon.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spidey said:

There are plenty of roads that will get you out of Leigh. I’d use one of them if you need something to do, as they’ll all lead you to more interesting places 😜

Not the one to Wigan though unless you get vaccinated first 😂😂😉

• Haha 1