Is this the greatest NRL season ever and possibly best season in 30-35 years?

On 25/09/2023 at 18:33, Dunbar said:

The only thing wrong with this NRL season is the fact that Penrith are apparently going for a 'three-peat'.

If you repeat something, you do that thing multiple times.  So surely if you repeat something three times then you have done the thing 4 times, the first time and the subsequent three repeats.

This is far more important than the Grand Final in my eyes.

Headline from NRL.com - 

"One-peat on Turuva's mind with maiden decider in sight"

5 hours ago, Pulga said:

Looks like the NRL has broken basically every record they can this year. It finally feels like the game has recovered from the Super League war.

https://www.footyindustry.com/2023/10/03/state-of-the-game-2023-nrl-nrlw-tv-ratings-attendances-social-media-and-memberships/

I dream of the day when the NRL becomes financially powerful enough to take over the game in the Northern Hemisphere and create NRL Europe.

• Sad 1

Code Club Fox Ave BVOD est Fox Total Ave
NRL Brisbane 288000 291744 579744
NRL Sth Sydney 270000 273510 543510
NRL Melbourne 267000 270471 537471
NRL Nth Queensland 259000 262367 521367
NRL Penrith 257000 260341 517341
NRL Parramatta 256000 259328 515328
AFL Collingwood 222000 279720 501720
NRL Dolphins 248000 251224 499224
NRL Manly 242000 245146 487146
NRL Canberra 242000 245146 487146
NRL Sydney 234000 237042 471042
NRL Cronulla 231000 234003 465003
NRL Wests Tigers 226000 228938 454938
NRL St George 224000 226912 450912
NRL Canterbury 220000 222860 442860
AFL Carlton 194000 244440 438440
NRL Newcastle 216000 218808 434808
AFL Geelong 189000 238140 427140
NRL Gold Coast 211000 213743 424743
AFL Richmond 185000 233100 418100
NRL Warriors 204000 206652 410652
AFL Essendon 175000 220500 395500
AFL Melbourne 175000 220500 395500
AFL Brisbane 174000 219240 393240
AFL Western Bulldogs 168000 211680 379680
AFL Port Adelaide 167000 210420 377420
AFL Sydney 154000 194040 348040
AFL GWS 153000 192780 345780
AFL St Kilda 152000 191520 343520
AFL Hawthorn 142000 178920 320920
AFL Adelaide 139000 175140 314140
AFL Nth Melbourne 135000 170100 305100
AFL West Coast 130000 163800 293800
AFL Fremantle 128000 161280 289280
AFL Gold Coast 110000 138600 248600

Top fumbleball team came in at 7th, second at 18th, that`s obviously after every other NRL team. Foxtel better get the cheque book out if they want to keep League at the next broadcast deal.
Edited by The Rocket
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Top fumbleball team came in at 7th, second at 18th, that`s obviously after every other NRL team. Foxtel better get the cheque book out if they want to keep League at the next broadcast deal.

The relative NRL/AFL Fox STB ratings have been similar all the previous years I've been following them. Hasn't yet translated into broadcast revenue. The next NRL deal, particularly the Fox component (assuming there is one), will be the defining moment of PVL's tenure.

Fumble fans will say that many of their games overlap, hence lower ratings doesn't necessarily equate to lower subscriptions. Will Fox make that argument? Will PVL buy it?

The Fox STB/BVOD percentage ratios are questionable. Calculated from end-of-season samples, extrapolated across the whole year. Just a Carlton fan's best guess, in the absence of comprehensive data. Look at how the BVOD figures allow Carlton to leapfrog Knights, Titans, Warriors. Without streaming estimates, Collingwood are the only fumblers above any NRL clubs.

• 2 months later...

If we are going to resurrect this thread, can we edit the title as it is going to make my head explode.

• Haha 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

If we are going to resurrect this thread, can we edit the title as it is going to make my head explode.

Yet another brain injury caused by recklessness in rugby league.

• Haha 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Yet another brain injury caused by recklessness in rugby league.

I may have to sue Total Rugby League for negligence they have shown in this issue.  They must surely have been aware of the dangers of allowing a logically incoherent thread title to be published.

• Haha 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 09/12/2023 at 08:33, StandOffHalf said:

I think I understand what the OP is about.

The NRL is 25 years old and the poster is postulating that 2023 may have been the best season going back a further 10 years to 1988.

1988 technically cannot be beaten as the greatest RL season of all time, culminating with pure-as-the-driven-snow Terry Lamb delivering the premiership by brushing aside the famously glass jawed Ellery Hanley.

Pure RL perfection and I'll not hear otherwise.

10 minutes ago, stookie said:

1988 technically cannot be beaten as the greatest RL season of all time, culminating with pure-as-the-driven-snow Terry Lamb delivering the premiership by brushing aside the famously glass jawed Ellery Hanley.

Pure RL perfection and I'll not hear otherwise.

Why can it technically not be beaten? How does 1988 compare with more tangible metrics like viewing figures and attendances? 

17 minutes ago, Damien said:

Why can it technically not be beaten? How does 1988 compare with more tangible metrics like viewing figures and attendances? 

1988 had some bad ones for attendances as the new SFS opened and had poor crowds for both the GB Lions tour and the SOO....even the grand final didn't sell out but then Tina Turner came in and thdings changed for the better.

• Like 1

Viewing figures are important without doubt but what happens on the pitch is more important as a judge of a season, as far as I'm concerned.

The 2023 GF was a remarkable game (one of the most enthralling games I have watched), but I wouldn't rate 2023 overall as the best season I have followed.

1 hour ago, Damien said:

On the most important of metrics, 1988 had one instance of Terry Lamb thumping Ellery Hanley in the head to win the grand final, and to the best of my knowledge all other seasons have had zero instances.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Because Bulldogs fans are technically the fairest and technically the sweetest and technically the most lovable and trustworthy in the comp.

One tangible metric -

In a RL magazine poll, fans were asked "Which ground are you most likely to get killed at". Belmore won by a mile.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, stookie said:

On the most important of metrics, 1988 had one instance of Terry Lamb thumping Ellery Hanley in the head to win the grand final, and to the best of my knowledge all other seasons have had zero instances.

It’s a good joke but I can’t believe it’s took you 35 years to put it together. 

3 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

taken

Apologise this instant.

The season keeps on getting better (and better).

There`s so much good news in there I don`t know where to start.

Super Rugby clubs in financial strife ask Rugby Australia for $9m | The Australian

Rugby Australia is facing deeper financial pain with a group of Super Rugby clubs set to double down on a $9 million demand in funding, adding to fears the head office is on ‘the financial brink’

But there are concerns about RA’s financial situation worsening as demands for more funding for many of the five Super Rugby franchises and cost blowouts put pressure on an already struggling balance sheet. RA recently secured a $80m credit facility with private equity group Pacific Equity Partners. 

One source said RA could easily burn through $30m or more of its loan in 2024, and potentially more, meaning it could have more well north of $50m debt on its balance sheet in 12 months time – as well as the additional burden of paying interest on the loan.

.It follows a video conference on Monday last week where the state CEOs were told by Rugby Australia CEO Phil Waugh they would not be receiving $1.7m in funding.

That response from Waugh has angered some of the state chiefs, who are now preparing a letter and invoices. All Super Rugby franchises are understood to be making a loss and are forecasting a loss for next year.

There are also concerns debt owned by the NSW Waratahs and an emerging difficult financial situation at the Melbourne Rebels – who has well-documented financial strains – could put a further strain on RA’s financial situation should it have to step in to financially support rugby in both states.

The Waratahs are understood to have made further financial losses of several million dollars, and forecast a similar result in 2024, and the Western Force relies on funding from billionaire benefactor Andrew Forrest to keep it in a stable position.

One source said RA could easily burn through $30m or more of its loan in 2024, and potentially more, meaning it could have more well north of $50m debt on its balance sheet in 12 months time – as well as the additional burden of paying interest on the loan.

“I can’t see it not turning into a massive shitfight,” said one club boss when contacted by The Weekend Australian.

Don`t you love a double negative, yes, we have no bananas.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I know this belongs on the cross-code, but I`m banned from there (and couldn`t care less) but this does have some effect on League if union in Oz is really in this much trouble.

Just a heads-up, this is from the same bloke who twenty years ago was braying about the imminent demise of Rugby League and the author of the famous Oz rugby union "war-chest " quote.

Former rugby boss calls for NRL teams and Super Rugby clubs to form an alliance to revive the game | The Australian

Former rugby boss John O’Neill said.  O’Neill has urged Rugby Australia to revisit the ownership model for its Super Rugby franchises and has boldly tossed up the concept that battling rugby clubs should form an alliance with booming NRL teams. 

O’Neill said. “Today, the financial precipice that confronts the whole of the game demands that all options be on the table for consideration.”

“Let’s conceptualise for a moment: what about the Roosters and the Tahs entering into some form of ‘partnership’?” O’Neill said. “Initially, it could be based on the economic benefit to both franchises in that both teams’ home ground is the SFS, so the potential consolidation of home games could enhance the overarching hiring agreement, plus season packages, joint memberships, merchandise, etc. It could be attractive and maybe lead to something bigger?

It gets funnier.

“Again, on a conceptual basis and thinking of radical ways and means to make Super Rugby viable, perhaps Western Force could relocate from Perth to Western Sydney based at Parramatta, maybe in partnership with the Eels?”

“Melbourne Rebels stay in Melbourne and form a partnership with the Storm. The Reds similarly with the Broncos. The Brumbies probably with the Raiders. These conceptual suggestions are designed to get people thinking about solutions.”

I got to say, I laughed and I laughed and I laughed. Bizarro world gone mad. Uning believable, makes you wonder what planet these big heads are on.

And a comment from the comments section:

"Last time a Union Club hooked up with a League club was Parramatta 2 blues and Parramatta Leagues club. Leagues club was going to help make the Union Club profitable. Leagues club ended up owning the club and land and shut it down. Didn't work out very well."

I`d say worked out perfectly.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 28/01/2024 at 08:27, Damien said:

A third hotel bought by the NRL:

We`ve had the world rugby union bosses in Oz the last few days for the union sevens in Perth and trying to drum up some excitement over which city they will choose to host their WC final in 2027, they`ve also been making noise about saving Oz rugby union.

I wonder how much the timing of this NRL announcement is a not-so-subtle dig of what they are up against over here, $65m in assets, $200m plus in the bank. Do they really want to throw good money after bad.

Have to say, I do quite like the idea of all the Lions fans and Union World Cup fans staying in hotels owned by the NRL.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2