Is this the greatest NRL season ever and possibly best season in 30-35 years?

$50M from poker machines from just one NRL club is enormous.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

15 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Last time I checked the Raiders have over 800 machines and each one makes $30k to $50k profit per year.

They also make a lot of money on property investments. https://www.afr.com/property/commercial/raiders-boot-property-goal-with-56m-bunnings-sale-20201211-p56msb

Edited by Copa

4 minutes ago, Copa said:

Last time I checked the Raiders have over 800 machines and each one makes $30k to $50k profit per year.

It would be hard to think of another income stream with the profit margin of a poker machine.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

11 hours ago, Dunbar said:

It would be hard to think of another income stream with the profit margin of a poker machine.

Drugs.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Drugs.

I would imagine so at the gross profit level but probably not at the operating profit as the pharmaceutical industry has a large R&D element that gambling doesn't.

11 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I would imagine so at the gross profit level but probably not at the operating profit as the pharmaceutical industry has a large R&D element that gambling doesn't.

True, and those little bags don`t pack themselves.

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Australia's endemic gambling addiction.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

It’s a problem few are willing to highlight and one which even less are willing to address.

It’s a major Australian cultural blind spot … we’re as blind as the US is to their gun problems.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Copa said:

It’s a major Australian cultural blind spot … we’re as blind as the US is to their gun problems.

I must admit that when I moved to Australia and lived there for awhile it was the first thing I noticed...gambling everywhere, gambling on everything...it struck my wife and my whole family as odd.

Areas in the UK also have the problem and, I hate to admit it, increasingly areas of Canadian society as well, with the take off of pro line betting on all sports.

It is a disease.

35 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

I must admit that when I moved to Australia and lived there for awhile it was the first thing I noticed...gambling everywhere, gambling on everything...it struck my wife and my whole family as odd.

Areas in the UK also have the problem and, I hate to admit it, increasingly areas of Canadian society as well, with the take off of pro line betting on all sports.

It is a disease.

Maybe for another thread but how do bookies stay open in the UK as I pass 4 in my near town and they are always empty unlike the set up in Australia which has League clubs, bars, restaurants and sports clubs.

23 hours ago, EggFace said:

Maybe for another thread but how do bookies stay open in the UK as I pass 4 in my near town and they are always empty unlike the set up in Australia which has League clubs, bars, restaurants and sports clubs.

You are asking the wrong fella...I'm not a gambling man...I learned my lesson on that one a long time ago.