Potential new League 1 club

17 minutes ago, Eddie said:

They will, but RL is culturally strong in existing areas, kids will get taken to clubs by their parents and they’ll have family / friends who’ve played the game for generations, so it’s easier to get people involved. 

I agree that it is easier for people to get involved in the sport if they have already had some connection to it, through family/friends, etc.

But these are the exact reasons why we need to expand RL in the youth areas, as Rugby League is an incredibly tough sport to play on the body, and it definitely isn't for everyone, so the more people that are exposed, the more people that start building a connection to RL.

There is no reason why kids playing RU in the Midlands wouldn't consider RL if they were exposed to it - I highly doubt there are many 10 - 16 yr olds that play RU because of the intricate plays and talent it requires to form a scrum or ruck. Most kids want to run around, etc.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Why??

Because I wanted folk to think on where the money would be coming from.

Often overlooked.

Edited by Griff

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

They will, but RL is culturally strong in existing areas, kids will get taken to clubs by their parents and they’ll have family / friends who’ve played the game for generations, so it’s easier to get people involved. 

So are you saying that one of the reasons we can't expand is because the game is so hard that you only play it because your parents played it? Is that the same for people watching it?

2 hours ago, JM2010 said:

Do Midlands Hurricanes have any plans for an academy?

I no longer have any involvement in the Hurricanes so have no idea. Looking at the coaching staff they have recruited it looks like there is an intention to develop local talent but whether that's an academy I don't know. 

1 hour ago, glossop saint said:

So are you saying that one of the reasons we can't expand is because the game is so hard that you only play it because your parents played it? Is that the same for people watching it?

No, I’m saying you’re more likely to play it because your parents played it or like it. I’d have thought that was quite obvious tbf, same as you’re more likely to play cricket if your family are into it. 

9 minutes ago, Eddie said:

No, I’m saying you’re more likely to play it because your parents played it or like it. I’d have thought that was quite obvious tbf, same as you’re more likely to play cricket if your family are into it. 

I know. Sorry, I was being awkward. It just annoys me when people say that expansion is impossible because people have no appetite for the game as if it is as simple as that. I know from your posts that isn't your attitude. I apologise. 

You are of course right that playing it is more likely if your parents do. That is why expansion is a long term project and can't just be dismissed after a bad few years.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

I didn’t overlook look anything. That’s why I asked the original question 

You clearly overlook looked that there are more folk than you and I reading this forum.

Maybe the comment wasn't aimed at you personally.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

8 hours ago, JM2010 said:

Do Midlands Hurricanes have any plans for an academy?

6 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

I no longer have any involvement in the Hurricanes so have no idea. Looking at the coaching staff they have recruited it looks like there is an intention to develop local talent but whether that's an academy I don't know. 

Midlands Hurricanes are delighted to announce the appointment of  Leigh Beattie as assistant coach and Head of player development

Leigh's past roles in working with youth and development of young players is also an incredibly exciting prospect for us as we move towards our vision in developing a pathway for Midlands based players to play academy and reserves rugby