Potential new League 1 club

3 minutes ago, Griff said:

Are they athletes who want to play Rugby League, though?

How many of those athletes know about RL? How many of those that do want to commit to a semi pro club which pays a pittance and involves huge journeys ever other week? And unless there is a crop of those athletes coming through together (and then not poached by a bigger dog) they are likely to get tanked. And even if there are a good fews incoming athletes what experience have they had of the game of RL? It surprise me how often people think that you can just pick up a sport, especially a technical and tactical role, so easily and within a year or so.

There are so many things going against the none heartland clubs and as a sport we offer them virtually zero help. And if they those athletes who overcame all those barriers came on this forum then I wouldn't blame them for walking away instantly after being made to be as unwelcome as they are by some posters.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Griff said:

Are they athletes who want to play Rugby League, though?

I've read this a few times today - This is the biggest problem with RL IMO. 

Why wouldn't there be athletes that would be interested in playing Rugby League? We are a forum full of fans from across the country, and the globe that love the game, and claim it is great (but with flaws).

And then there are many others that seem operate with the feeling that only the ones that currently like it, are the only ones that could be capable of enjoying it.

There is a huge, huge amount of people, especially children in schools that have had absolutely zero exposure to rugby league, whether that be playing it, or watching it. Common sense (or at least what I like to think is common sense) would show at least some percentage of them may enjoy the game if exposed to it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Click said:

I've read this a few times today - This is the biggest problem with RL IMO. 

Why wouldn't there be athletes that would be interested in playing Rugby League? We are a forum full of fans from across the country, and the globe that love the game, and claim it is great (but with flaws).

And then there are many others that seem operate with the feeling that only the ones that currently like it, are the only ones that could be capable of enjoying it.

There is a huge, huge amount of people, especially children in schools that have had absolutely zero exposure to rugby league, whether that be playing it, or watching it. Common sense (or at least what I like to think is common sense) would show at least some percentage of them may enjoy the game if exposed to it.

If you say so.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Just now, Click said:

I'm trying to understand your opinion though - Do you think the people (athletes) in the Midlands, London, etc have no interest in RL?

Not in sufficient quantities.

Just now, Griff said:

Thanks for saying. 

I just don't think it has been explored enough to come to that conclusion - You have Matt Davis currently playing for Leigh that came through the Midlands academy, so that shows there are players there, even with little to zero investment from RL in general. Not sure if there are others in SL, but there are a few in the Championship also.

5 minutes ago, Click said:

Thanks for saying. 

I just don't think it has been explored enough to come to that conclusion - You have Matt Davis currently playing for Leigh that came through the Midlands academy, so that shows there are players there, even with little to zero investment from RL in general. Not sure if there are others in SL, but there are a few in the Championship also.

Ryan Millar came from the Midlands.  How many more ?   Enough to make a team ?

Just now, Griff said:

Ryan Millar came from the Midlands.  How many more ?   Enough to make a team ?

Ok that is great to hear, a second one - And how manyresources has gone into the Midlands to uncover 2 SL players, compared to how many resources have been invested into the heartlands and other areas?

I imagine the return on investment has got to be pretty high for them.

Just now, Click said:

Ok that is great to hear, a second one - And how manyresources has gone into the Midlands to uncover 2 SL players, compared to how many resources have been invested into the heartlands and other areas?

I imagine the return on investment has got to be pretty high for them.

I was thinking the opposite.  But - again - it's just an opinion as we have no facts.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, glossop saint said:

Why is that? Is it something wrong with the sport? Or are people from the M62 corridor different from those outside? Why can other sports attract new viewers/fans etc but we apparently can't?

I recon that at least part of it is that if you play RL, you are DEFINITELY going to get a bit of a physical pounding no matter what position you play, and that is enough to put a lot of people off. A bit like boxing or american football, I suppose, only those willing to be hit will take it up. Yes there are other physical impact sports, and injuries will happen in almost any sport, but something as punishing as RL will deffo be a barrier to most.

• Like 3

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

1 minute ago, FearNothing said:

I recon that at least part of it is that if you play RL, you are DEFINITELY going to get a bit of a physical pounding no matter what position you play, and that is enough to put a lot of people off. A bit like boxing or american football, I suppose, only those willing to be hit will take it up. Yes there are other physical impact sports, and injuries will happen in almost any sport, but something as punishing as RL will deffo be a barrier to most.

I'm not sure that that is strictly relevant to the difference between the heartlands and expansion areas but it does add quite nicely to my previous post. The m62 corridor players still will have the same impacts and decisions to make as to whether to play as those away from there do.

20 minutes ago, FearNothing said:

I think the pure fitness demands put people off too. One thing that amazes me about Union is that you really don't need to be fit to play it at even a fairly decent level. Yeah sure there are some big, strong players but in terms of running you really don't need to do much. A lot of people simply don't want to put themselves through that when they haven't got that base and starting off from scratch is tough.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Griff said:

The Midlands could easily produce players in sufficient quantities if the funding was there. As said elsewhere the Midlands academy produced a number of very good players many who have played in the top 3 divisions. The problem is that any academy needs years to start bearing fruit. Short term thinking meant funding was pulled from the academy and yet another pathway closed down. 

Players have to be developed from a young age and brought right through to open age rugby. This is key as its very difficult to develop players later, especially players who've had poor quality RU coaching. There are juniors at most Midlands RL clubs (Coventry has well over 100 on its own!). But where do those juniors go once they reach 16? The best players should be ready to go into an academy but there is none. In short the athletes are there if you get them early enough AND provide a pathway for them. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

The Midlands could easily produce players in sufficient quantities if the funding was there. As said elsewhere the Midlands academy produced a number of very good players many who have played in the top 3 divisions. The problem is that any academy needs years to start bearing fruit. Short term thinking meant funding was pulled from the academy and yet another pathway closed down. 

Players have to be developed from a young age and brought right through to open age rugby. This is key as its very difficult to develop players later, especially players who've had poor quality RU coaching. There are juniors at most Midlands RL clubs (Coventry has well over 100 on its own!). But where do those juniors go once they reach 16? The best players should be ready to go into an academy but there is none. In short the athletes are there if you get them early enough AND provide a pathway for them. 

Do Midlands Hurricanes have any plans for an academy?

Just now, Griff said:

Academies are in the gift of the RFL.

They could still set up tier 3 academies tied in with clubs like Coventry and Nottingham. Would still create a pathway as well as potentially attracting players to clubs like those mentioned above

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

They could still set up tier 3 academies tied in with clubs like Coventry and Nottingham. Would still create a pathway as well as potentially attracting players to clubs like those mentioned above

OK.  It's a start.

Who's funding it ?

40 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

I'm not sure that that is strictly relevant to the difference between the heartlands and expansion areas but it does add quite nicely to my previous post. The m62 corridor players still will have the same impacts and decisions to make as to whether to play as those away from there do.

They will, but RL is culturally strong in existing areas, kids will get taken to clubs by their parents and they’ll have family / friends who’ve played the game for generations, so it’s easier to get people involved. 

19 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

I was the one who asked the original question about if they had plans for an academy. I’m assuming anyone who has any insider knowledge of the Midlands can answer that

It was a rhetorical question.