Interesting news

POR

An amalgamation of the Championship and League 1 competitions will be proposed next month following calls for just one league below Super League from next season. Rugby League Live can reveal that proposals will be put forward at the next council meeting on October 4th.

10 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Makes sense don't like the thought of well established clubs like Workington,Keighley Oldham and Hunslet being cast adrift.I hope it succeeds.

Doubt it will happen S league1 tried before but always voted down  by championship clubs             

28 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

A 23 team league. How will that work?

Teams would not have to play each other twice as performance on the field adds little to IMG point scoring.With no promotion involved a level fixture programme is not necessary.Lets say 22 clubs split into 2x11 just for fixtures each play teams in their division home and away 20 games and out of the other division once 11 games giving a season of 31 games.Some would say too many games well we have played well over 40 games a season in the past.It would give extra revenue to make up for the lost supporters who don't like the IMG nearly closed shop.The alternative let clubs wither and die or join the Conference leagues which i don't think is acceptable even if others do.I remember when we were in League 1 it's not a nice place to be unless you are a slowly developing club.

The problem is that if you are going to divide the 35 teams into 2 leagues the natural divide would come at something like 14 teams in the top tier and 21 in the second tier, but the former seems unlikely to happen. SL clubs don't want to share their large pot of money between two extra teams, so it's not surprising if Championship clubs baulk at sharing their already massively-reduced funding between 23 teams instead of 14.

Not really sure what the answer is here, the problem is a string of non-heartlands teams have disappeared from League 1 in recent years (South Wales/West Wales, Hemel, University of Gloucester, Oxford and now London Skolars) and only Cornwall have replaced them. It's only five years ago that there were 14 teams in League 1 compared to 12 in the Championship.

Edited by The Phantom Horseman
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

I think within the next 2 to 3 years SL will be increased to 14 teams.But we will have to wait and see.No use wasting time arguing over it ,time will decide.

IT definitely will S  IMG want a team in London

Old days. Lancashire clubs play each other and Yorkshire clubs play each other Home and Away plus  playing a certain amount of games against the other county. Anybody outside the counties allocated to a league. Then top 8 play offs.

4 minutes ago, jamescolin said:

Old days. Lancashire clubs play each other and Yorkshire clubs play each other Home and Away plus  playing a certain amount of games against the other county. Anybody outside the counties allocated to a league. Then top 8 play offs.

James how do you feel about heritage clubs like Hunslet Oldham Keighley and Workington having to play in a  no better than the Conference.Do you think we should welcome them into the Championship.I still miss Bramley and Blackpool not being helped but left to amateur level.

24 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

Yeah good idea that iam sure they'll flock there in their 1000,s.

It's because pf the world cup semi final F  40,489 fans at the Emirates Stadium told them there's plenty of fans in london who  want to watch rugby league:kolobok_grin:

2 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Teams would not have to play each other twice as performance on the field adds little to IMG point scoring.With no promotion involved a level fixture programme is not necessary.Lets say 22 clubs split into 2x11 just for fixtures each play teams in their division home and away 20 games and out of the other division once 11 games giving a season of 31 games.Some would say too many games well we have played well over 40 games a season in the past.It would give extra revenue to make up for the lost supporters who don't like the IMG nearly closed shop.The alternative let clubs wither and die or join the Conference leagues which i don't think is acceptable even if others do.I remember when we were in League 1 it's not a nice place to be unless you are a slowly developing club.

Just out of curiosity, which club did you boot out to get down to 22?

24 minutes ago, POR said:

It's because pf the world cup semi final F  40,489 fans at the Emirates Stadium told them there's plenty of fans in london who  want to watch rugby league:kolobok_grin:

Where are they now then ? Don't get 4000 never mind 40,000.

5 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Just out of curiosity, which club did you boot out to get down to 22?

London Scholars bottom with 0 points.London Broncos struggle to get decent gates in a Capital with close to 8 million people.Let Scholars play in amateur league.They would struggle against Conference league 1 teams.You and TPH always seem to try to pick fault with my suggestions.i can count on one hand the posts of mine you two have liked in the last 6 years.I love Rugby League but it  is badly run at the top and has been for years.I don't just watch Fev i also go to Batley and Dewsbury games if i fancy a good contest.I suggested 3 divisions to David Howes long before it came in.He wrote back saying it would not happen as the clubs wouldn't like it.

33 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

London Scholars bottom with 0 points.London Broncos struggle to get decent gates in a Capital with close to 8 million people.Let Scholars play in amateur league.They would struggle against Conference league 1 teams.You and TPH always seem to try to pick fault with my suggestions.i can count on one hand the posts of mine you two have liked in the last 6 years.I love Rugby League but it  is badly run at the top and has been for years.I don't just watch Fev i also go to Batley and Dewsbury games if i fancy a good contest.I suggested 3 divisions to David Howes long before it came in.He wrote back saying it would not happen as the clubs wouldn't like it.

Skolars are already out, aren't they? They intend to play in the Southern Conference next year. So, 23 clubs left.

I get what you're saying, but my view is I'd like to see more rugby league clubs not less. Whatever the level. I think a lot of "traditional" clubs have a very precarious grip on their 'professional' status. Clubs with 100 years of history, but no ground and no money and very few fans. How professional is that? 17 lads playing for boot money in front of 500 fans. There are also some very amateurish "development" clubs that are badly run too. And plenty of others that have come and gone. I don't want to see any clubs go to the wall. I'm not sure how three divisions is magically the answer. It's what we have now and the whole sport is skint.

Just to clarify, mate, I am definitely not picking on your posts. We're all in this together as Fev fans. The idea of picking on certain posters sounds appalling. It's an opinions board, and of course folk will disagree all the time. The garbage I post regularly gets shot down, and quite right too.  I am pretty stingy with my "likes" for everyone tbh. Please do not be offended when I disagree as no offence is ever intended.

36 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

.You and TPH always seem to try to pick fault with my suggestions.i can count on one hand the posts of mine you two have liked in the last 6 years.

I can't speak for MLP but I don't try to pick fault with posts because of who made them, not least because I hardly know anyone personally on here. I do know who MLP is as will many Fev fans and I'm pretty sure we met when we were kids and both lived in Fev but I don't think I'd recognise him if I bumped into him.

I did take issue with your comments about Fev not being relegated for 3 years if we got promoted because I just think they were misleading, you had no evidence to back it up and I just felt it needed challenging before people started believing it, I have had similar arguments with other people on forums who have put their own interpretation on how they think SL will be formed from 2025 onwards.

Again I hope nobody takes things personally if I've disagreed with them on here, I've done that with loads of people including plenty of people who I think make a lot of intelligent posts. At the end of the day we're all Fev aren't we, we're just not all going to agree on everything.

• Like 4

I think when there was one league of 32 clubs it worked fine - if you finished in the top 16 then following season you played mostly top 16 clubs plus local derby matches and if you finished in bottom 16 then you played mostly bottom 16 plus local derby matches. So no big mis matches between top and bottom clubs and a chance to actually win some matches and move up the league as swinton did 1974 finished 4th from bottom then following year finished 4th from top or there abouts.

Sadly all clubs put their own interests first and the RFL are not alarmed when clubs fail  

24 minutes ago, wayner said:

I think when there was one league of 32 clubs it worked fine - if you finished in the top 16 then following season you played mostly top 16 clubs plus local derby matches and if you finished in bottom 16 then you played mostly bottom 16 plus local derby matches. So no big mis matches between top and bottom clubs and a chance to actually win some matches and move up the league as swinton did 1974 finished 4th from bottom then following year finished 4th from top or there abouts.

If that's how it worked it's no wonder they got rid, it sounds nuts. Under that system, if Fev finished outside the best 16 teams one year (which has happened a few times in recent years) and then they brought that rule in with Fev playing no games against SL teams other than say Cas or Wakefield  and the remainder of our league games against other bottom 16 teams I'd fancy us to finish just about top of the table whilst Wigan, St Helens, Catalans etc were beating each other.

I mean people get upset about loop fixtures, summer bash etc "distorting the table", can you imagine two teams fighting for the title, one has been playing against Saints/Wigan/Catalans all year and the other has been playing against Rochdale/Cornwall/Midlands?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

If that's how it worked it's no wonder they got rid, it sounds nuts. Under that system, if Fev finished outside the best 16 teams one year (which has happened a few times in recent years) and then they brought that rule in with Fev playing no games against SL teams other than say Cas or Wakefield  and the remainder of our league games against other bottom 16 teams I'd fancy us to finish just about top of the table whilst Wigan, St Helens, Catalans etc were beating each other.

I mean people get upset about loop fixtures, summer bash etc "distorting the table", can you imagine two teams fighting for the title, one has been playing against Saints/Wigan/Catalans all year and the other has been playing against Rochdale/Cornwall/Midlands?

As an Oldham fan, i'm chuckling at you bracketing Rochdale with Cornwall & Midlands . 😜