International squads

Dunbar

4 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

I'm disappointed that KPP and Nicholson aren't there. Two young and immensely talented players. It would have been good to bring in a younger generation of second-rowers. KPP coming off the bench with his athleticism and offloads would have been fantastic!

Wardle not there is a shock. Injured?

A shame that Herbie is out.

The following were ruled by injury:

Farnworth/Wardle/Lomax/Wardle/Pearce-Paul 

Thompson as well I think but not as sure on that one.

Would have definitely moved on from Hill this time and hope he is in the squad to pass on his experience rather than to be in the match day 17.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

so whos the new capt now Williams has withdrawn?  does anyone know? does SW know? do the players know?

I can definitely say I don't know.

I don't know if the players know.

I would imagine Shaun Wane knows. Or maybe he doesn't know because he hasn't decided yet.

Anyway, my guess is he will go with Whitehead. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

I can definitely say I don't know.

I don't know if the players know.

I would imagine Shaun Wane knows. Or maybe he doesn't know because he hasn't decided yet.

Anyway, my guess is he will go with Whitehead. 

a name for the future- that's reassuring to know

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

20 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

a name for the future- that's reassuring to know

I have heard people say across a lot of sports that you should blood young players for international games in the future... future world cups etc.  Personally I don't think we play enough to follow that strategy and I would rather we just pick the best side year by year.

But I have to admit, I have never heard of picking a captain based on future planning.  The captain is invariably picked from the group to do the best job.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I have heard people say across a lot of sports that you should blood young players for international games in the future... future world cups etc.  Personally I don't think we play enough to follow that strategy and I would rather we just pick the best side year by year.

But I have to admit, I have never heard of picking a captain based on future planning.  The captain is invariably picked from the group to do the best job.

for some reason I thought EW had retired from internationals ?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

On 17/10/2023 at 10:22, NRLandSL said:

Personally I’ve always seen him as more of a centre there a winger anyway, He’s played 4 games there, and I think Dominic Young is one of the best outside backs in the world not just winger. But He could play on the wing, but then Makinson or Johnstone wouldn’t be playing and that just isn’t fair because those 2 are arguably the 2 best wingers in the world.

But it’s a good headache to have, England definitely have the best outside backs out of any team in the world, and they have 3 of the 4 best wingers in the world. A pity Farnworth is injured because he is undoubtedly the best centre in the world.

Young is atrocious in defence. 

1 hour ago, Siwel14 said:

Does anyone know why Jackson Hastings is no longer considered for England selection?

I think Wane has been quite vocal about not wanting herritage players in the England side.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I think Wane has been quite vocal about not wanting herritage players in the England side.

That may be right, but didn’t he select a certain Australian by the name of Victor for the WC last year? Has this stance changed or is there different circumstances to Victor Radley’s selection?

Just now, Sports Prophet said:

That may be right, but didn’t he select a certain Australian by the name of Victor for the WC last year? Has this stance changed or is there different circumstances to Victor Radley’s selection?

I guess it comes down to the definition of heritage.

With Hastings, it was a grandparent that was English, with Radley it was his father.

I’m not going to get into a long debate about it and I cannot read Wane’s mind but there is clearly a difference there.

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I guess it comes down to the definition of heritage.

With Hastings, it was a grandparent that was English, with Radley it was his father.

I’m not going to get into a long debate about it and I cannot read Wane’s mind but there is clearly a difference there.

Yeah, not calling you out or anything, you’re right, that is a difference. However, far as I was and still am concerned, the selections of Victor, Hastings and Austin in the last 4 yrs for Eng/GB were all terrible decisions.

Poor Dom Young now seemingly ruled out of the entire Tonga series, after a sinus infection spread to his brain. He seems to be recovering in hospital, but still not 100%, and will have to wait to add to his England caps.

NRL 2023: Dom Young, hospital, England, sinus infection, brain, Tonga series, Roosters, Knights, will he play Round 1 (foxsports.com.au)

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Poor Dom Young now seemingly ruled out of the entire Tonga series, after a sinus infection spread to his brain. He seems to be recovering in hospital, but still not 100%, and will have to wait to add to his England caps.

NRL 2023: Dom Young, hospital, England, sinus infection, brain, Tonga series, Roosters, Knights, will he play Round 1 (foxsports.com.au)

That really is scary. Hope for a full recovery and back for Roosters next year.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bobbruce said:

Radley?

I can't add anything on top of the next two posts after the one you quoted.