League 1 2024

havenhater

11 minutes ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

how can you split it when its been spent on other projects?

and I don't think government grants work that way, the money has to be spent in whatever town was successful wtih the bid

That money is still being spent on the wave centre, just not on a swimming pool in the wave centre. 

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, rockerlad said:

That money is still being spent on the wave centre, just not on a swimming pool in the wave centre. 

only a proportion of it, the rest has been reallocated to other schemes - promenade cafe, skateboard, bike track, new play area with splash park and a harbourside park with dedicated events area and a new soft play area in the Wave centre 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

only a proportion of it, the rest has been reallocated to other schemes - promenade cafe, skateboard, bike track, new play area with splash park and a harbourside park with dedicated events area and a new soft play area in the Wave centre 

Yes but isn't the sake park going to be next to the wave centre, basically the same site. 

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

nope - its along the promenade next to the new cafe and toilet block

Just reading the Cumbria crack article now, it doesn't actually state the money was just for the wave, just maryport in general.

https://cumbriacrack.com/2023/10/04/2-3-million-plans-for-maryports-wave-centre-revealed/

Our application was for the BP site. 

34 minutes ago, rockerlad said:

Just reading the Cumbria crack article now, it doesn't actually state the money was just for the wave, just maryport in general.

https://cumbriacrack.com/2023/10/04/2-3-million-plans-for-maryports-wave-centre-revealed/

Our application was for the BP site. 

Maryport pool Money was just for Maryport pool - but its being used elsewhere.

Nobody is happy - they wanted a pool.

We wanted a full new stadium as originally promised - all they offering now is one small stand and leave the other 3 sides as they are.

That is not good enough - So split the cash 

36 minutes ago, Derwent Parker said:

We wanted a full new stadium as originally promised - all they offering now is one small stand and leave the other 3 sides as they are.

We wanted a new stadium but the population of allerdale sadly didn't. The voted out the council who where promising one and replaced them with a council who promised to cancel the project. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Derwent Parker said:

how can they split the cash when they are about to start the projects - plus the council can't just split the cash even if they wanted to as the money is for Maryport and how its spent is overseen by government, Workington also got money from a different government pot of cash 

2 hours ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

how can they split the cash when they are about to start the projects - plus the council can't just split the cash even if they wanted to as the money is for Maryport and how its spent is overseen by government, Workington also got money from a different government pot of cash 

I think we are getting crossed lines here.

Maryport Pool money was spent on other things in Maryport because the council said there costs were too high so cancelled the pool. And they have started on the replacement projects.

They have started on nothing on the stadium, only thing we know are statements which contradict each other and a cartoon drawing - that looks like it was just copied from SouthPark minor league soccer.

I said if they cant manage to build a stadium that is adequate for both teams and meet all the needs of both teams then they should scrap it and split the STADIUM money between both team for projects on both grounds in Workington. Like they have at Maryport.

What is the point in spending £6M on BP and giving us something that is not as good as what we already have at DP. Only newer

The Maryport money is from the levelling up fund which was 5 million quid that they can spend on anything they want to improve the town, specifically the town centre.

The workington sports village was coming out of the Towns fund which was 23 million towards 3 or 4 specified projects, another being the NHS centre on central car park. The money must be used on these or it goes back to the government.

For what its worth workington also got 5 or 6 million out of the levelling up fund but instead of making improvements like maryport are doing we are wasting it all knocking down a historic pub and replacing it with a couple of trees.

Edited by Carlisle1921

5 minutes ago, Carlisle1921 said:

The Maryport money is from the levelling up fund which was 5 million quid that they can spend on anything they want to improve the town, specifically the town centre.

The workington sports village was coming out of 23 million towards 3 or 4 specified projects, another being the NHS centre on central car park. The money must be used on these or it goes back to the government.

For what its worth workington also got 5 or 6 million out of the levelling up fund but instead of making improvements like maryport are doing we are wasting it all knocking down a historic pub and replacing it with a couple of trees.

Yes the money workington received has to be spent on the projects it was allocated for. Otherwise we lose it 

1 hour ago, Carlisle1921 said:

The workington sports village was coming out of 23 million towards 3 or 4 specified projects, another being the NHS centre on central car park. The money must be used on these or it goes back to the government.

We gotta big telly no one ever uses too remember. 

17 hours ago, rockerlad said:

We wanted a new stadium but the population of allerdale sadly didn't. The voted out the council who where promising one and replaced them with a council who promised to cancel the project. 

They did but the main reason was Brexit not the stadium

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, Derwent Parker said:

I think we are getting crossed lines here.

Maryport Pool money was spent on other things in Maryport because the council said there costs were too high so cancelled the pool. And they have started on the replacement projects.

They have started on nothing on the stadium, only thing we know are statements which contradict each other and a cartoon drawing - that looks like it was just copied from SouthPark minor league soccer.

I said if they cant manage to build a stadium that is adequate for both teams and meet all the needs of both teams then they should scrap it and split the STADIUM money between both team for projects on both grounds in Workington. Like they have at Maryport.

What is the point in spending £6M on BP and giving us something that is not as good as what we already have at DP. Only newer

Ahhm, makes sense now. Must have been your Wukinton a accent I was struggling with .....and I agree with you, it probably would make sense at this stage to do what you've said above as I'm sure the Reds could build a nice grandstand with bars and changing facilities for £3 million as they will also get FA money, but not sure how far £3 million would go on DP.

Out of interest how far do you think £3 million would go and what areas of the ground would you develop as unlike the Reds Town can't access any other money UNLESS they agree a long term lease with Red's ladies in which case they could also access grants to go towards ladies only changing facilities etc.

In regards to improvements, I suppose it would depend on what state the steel is on the grandstand, but in theory it could get a new roof and extend the bar and hospitality onto part of the enclosure and I would like to see terracing closer to the pitch behind the dead ball line, but I don't think £3 million would cover a fraction of the costs involved.

But anyway, it makes no difference as the money has to be spent on the projects as listed further up this thread

Edited by Death to the Rah Rah's

17 hours ago, Carlisle1921 said:

The workington sports village was coming out of the Towns fund which was 23 million towards 3 or 4 specified projects, another being the NHS centre on central car park. The money must be used on these or it goes back to the government.

I wasn't aware the money had to spent on specific projects - really Dave Bowden needs to come out and update fans of both clubs as everyone is getting frustrated with the process now 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DocH said:

They did but the main reason was Brexit not the stadium

It wasnt, it was that fat oik using it as a vote winner, he knew it was a political hot potato and ran with it. Now were left with a much trimmed down version of what we could have had.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

Ahhm, makes sense now. Must have been your Wukinton a accent I was struggling with .....and I agree with you, it probably would make sense at this stage to do what you've said above as I'm sure the Reds could build a nice grandstand with bars and changing facilities for £3 million as they will also get FA money, but not sure how far £3 million would go on DP.

Out of interest how far do you think £3 million would go and what areas of the ground would you develop as unlike the Reds Town can't access any other money UNLESS they agree a long term lease with Red's ladies in which case they could also access grants to go towards ladies only changing facilities etc.

In regards to improvements, I suppose it would depend on what state the steel is on the grandstand, but in theory it could get a new roof and extend the bar and hospitality onto part of the enclosure and I would like to see terracing closer to the pitch behind the dead ball line, but I don't think £3 million would cover a fraction of the costs involved.

But anyway, it makes no difference as the money has to be spent on the projects as listed further up this thread

£3m wouldnt cover the ground investigation and piling, its a complete non starter.

55 minutes ago, dkw said:

It wasnt, it was that fat oik using it as a vote winner, he knew it was a political hot potato and ran with it. Now were left with a much trimmed down version of what we could have had.

Absolutely correct. He convinced the electorate it was going to cost £90m so they voted for parties willing to cancel the project.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Death to the Rah Rah's said:

I wasn't aware the money had to spent on specific projects - really Dave Bowden needs to come out and update fans of both clubs as everyone is getting frustrated with the process now 

Maybe if fans from both clubs start contacting the CSV page asking for an update meeting....we might get one. It's about time isn't it. 

5 hours ago, dkw said:

I agree it was Mr Creosotes fault - but I think "a much trimmed down version" is a huge understatement.

• Like 1