League 1 2024

havenhater

It will be interesting to see what happens though because the reserve clubs is silly, I don’t like the idea of conferences as you could get an easy conference which wouldn’t be fair, can’t play 38 games a season so home and away is out, so I’ve no idea what other options could be. The sensible one for me would be play each other 3/4 times with an RFL bit of cash to keep the clubs going, but that won’t happen because RFL are tight lol. 

Edited by Rovers13
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Rovers13 said:

It will be interesting to see what happens though because the reserve clubs is silly, I don’t like the idea of conferences as you could get an easy conference which wouldn’t be fair, can’t play 38 games a season so home and away is out, so I’ve no idea what other options could be. The sensible one for me would be play each other 3/4 times with an RFL bit of cash to keep the clubs going, but that won’t happen because RFL are tight lol. 

I put this on another thread but I still think its best. Griff and a few tried to shoot it down with reasons why it wouldn't work, but I dont think they came up with anything better.

I think best way is to just have the one league below SL but in conferences. I think 4 confs Better.

If we do stay as L1 - it could all need changing again if we lose any more teams from any league. 

If conf's whether 2 x 11 or 4 conf's 2x5 and 2 x 6  - if we lose a team or add a team it wont get us into the mess it is now.

conf's almost guarantee derby matches H & A and you play like ability teams from the other conferences.

So the amount of games can be managed easier.  Similar to NFL

4 conf's for example [North West, North Yorks, South Yorks, South [dont have to list them most people on here are capable of working it out and conf titles]  the top 1 or 2 would go in play offs for promotion to SL if this grading thingy allows

To pacify the arguments constantly brought up by Rover13 iirc you would still get to play most the teams you mentioned as derbies or other top teams. H and Away

Worked better as 4 x 6 but we lost some now - but can still be sorted

P.S  If this had happened a couple of year ago we may not have lost London and Newcastle? I suggested it last year and Martyn Sadler a couple of year earlier.

No Relegation to L1 [which killed of Newcastle and could be 2 more next year]

More Derbies

Plenty of games

No more major league restructuring

No more or fewer blow out scores

2 hours ago, Rovers13 said:

Conferences I don’t like for one reason only and that’s you will get fed up of playing same teams year in year out. 

You dont play the same teams year in year out apart from your fellow conf members

If you are in a group of 5/6 you play those 4/5 H&A

If you finish top as Fev are [Maybe 2nd as Wakey classed higher as finishing 12 in SL] then you would play against teams 1,2 or 3 in the other groups.

Teams finishing lowest they would play against teams 4,5 or 6 in the other groups. etc

Worked better last year with 6 in each conf but we lost London and Newcy now because NOBODY WANTS L!

Every year this will change as teams will/may finish in different positions in their confs each year.

This Format stops blowout scores

Guarantees Derbies

Makes it easy to add a new team without changing structure

Same if we are in the unfortunate place of losing another team.

We dont know how long Cornwall will continue {no disrespect] but they are doing an hell of a lot of travelling all on 15K and never get to play a current big team - especially now the CC is rigged to stop that happeniong.

VERY LITTLE INCOME AND A LOT OF EXPENSES WITH NO HELP FROM RFL - is not a good way to run a business 

1 minute ago, Derwent Parker said:

You dont play the same teams year in year out apart from your fellow conf members

If you finish top as Fev are [Maybe 2nd as Wakey classed higher as finishing 12 in SL] then you would play against teams 1,2 or 3 in the other groups.

Teams finishing lowest they would play against teams 4,5 or 6 in the other groups. etc

Worked better last year with 6 in each conf but we lost London and Newcy now because NOBODY WANTS L!

Every year this will change as teams will/may finish in different positions in their confs each year.

Guarantees Derbies

We dont know how long Cornwall will continue {no disrespect] but they are doing an hell of a lot of travelling all on 15K and never get to play a current big team - especially now the CC is rigged to stop that happeniong.

VERY LITTLE INCOME AND A LOT OF EXPENSES WITH NO HELP FROM RFL - is not a good way to run a business 

That’s not enough home games though you need at least 11 even 11 isn’t enough imo. 

2 hours ago, Rovers13 said:

Conferences not for me at all I hate the idea tbh, on the Rochdale board imo there is a better solution. Plus if they are doing groups for cc too is better. 

Challenge Cup needs to go back to the original setup with all Pro and semi Pro coming in at same time.

Its been ruined by SL only wanting to come in when there are only 4 other teams left???

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Derwent Parker said:

Challenge Cup needs to go back to the original setup with all Pro and semi Pro coming in at same time.

Its been ruined by SL only wanting to come in when there are only 4 other teams left???

From what I’ve heard CC is going to be groups now, theirs talk of keeping league one as is and making the 85 cup groups too. Which would massively help league one clubs financially and champ clubs tbh. 

Edited by Rovers13

5 minutes ago, Rovers13 said:

That’s not enough home games though you need at least 11 even 11 isn’t enough imo. 

If you are in a group of 6 then that's 5 Home games.

You play 1 ,2, and 3 of the other 3 groups that's another 9 Home games - THATS 14 HOME games!

Because we have now lost teams because RFL couldn't be bothered or were not interested to sort out the L1 problem earlier  it is a bit more difficult? So may include a couple of Loops for the 5 team confs? - Derbies?

I worked it out in the past I cant be bothered to do it again cos it aint gonna happen. RFL not interested , neither are Champ teams until they get near bottom of league.

it is a bit more awkward with 5 in a couple of confs but it can be done - just as easy to sort out - as it is for people find reasons not do do it.

1 hour ago, Derwent Parker said:

If you are in a group of 6 then that's 5 Home games.

You play 1 ,2, and 3 of the other 3 groups that's another 9 Home games - THATS 14 HOME games!

Because we have now lost teams because RFL couldn't be bothered or were not interested to sort out the L1 problem earlier  it is a bit more difficult? So may include a couple of Loops for the 5 team confs? - Derbies?

I worked it out in the past I cant be bothered to do it again cos it aint gonna happen. RFL not interested , neither are Champ teams until they get near bottom of league.

it is a bit more awkward with 5 in a couple of confs but it can be done - just as easy to sort out - as it is for people find reasons not do do it.

Honestly mate I’ve no answers as I’ve no idea about financials of clubs or what each clubs are thinking, not sure they do tbh with this the 3rd meeting. 

20 hours ago, Rovers13 said:

From what I’ve heard CC is going to be groups now, theirs talk of keeping league one as is and making the 85 cup groups too. Which would massively help league one clubs financially and champ clubs tbh. 

That doesn't help L1 if you have 1895 cup including Champ clubs.

Champ clubs dont want any more fixtures its L1 that need more fixtures.

Champ clubs already have 27 - almost twice as many as L1 - 14 currently

Edited by Derwent Parker
spelling

20 hours ago, Derwent Parker said:

Guarantees Derbies

You cannot make such wholesale changes at short notice - the Championship clubs would block it. Certainly, make plans for 2025 when there is time to properly consider all of the ramifications but you can't simply alter the structure of the Championship now when clubs are already well into recruitment, season ticket pricing, commercial sponsorship etc all based upon the projections from the existing Championship structure.

A proper, satisfactory solution has to be found for C1, of that there is no question, but that cannot be achieved by throwing another league into total confusion.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

13 minutes ago, sheddingswasus said:

The final decision is with the clubs. If the Championship clubs say "no" then it won't happen.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

You cannot make such wholesale changes at short notice - the Championship clubs would block it. Certainly, make plans for 2025 when there is time to properly consider all of the ramifications but you can't simply alter the structure of the Championship now when clubs are already well into recruitment, season ticket pricing, commercial sponsorship etc all based upon the projections from the existing Championship structure.

A proper, satisfactory solution has to be found for C1, of that there is no question, but that cannot be achieved by throwing another league into total confusion.

If they change the format and you still end up with 26/27 fixtures whichever way they do it, the same as last year.

what as that got to do with recruitment, season ticket pricing, commercial sponsorship etc as you will still be in the Championship structure.

Edited by Derwent Parker
spelling

59 minutes ago, Derwent Parker said:

If they change the format and you still end up with 26/27 fixtures whichever way they do it, the same as last year.

what as that got to do with recruitment, season ticket pricing, commercial sponsorship etc as you will still be in the Championship structure.

A great deal if clubs miss out on larger gates from better supported clubs. The Championship structure is stable; C1 is unstable; created a larger unstable structure benefits nobody in the short term, without which there may not be a long term.

1 hour ago, sheddingswasus said:

In this instance you are wrong. Each club will be able to have their say but the RFL in this instance will be making the decision not the clubs and the decision will be final. Will he announced 1st Nov so all clubs can plan for 2924 season 

Think we'll all be dead by then. 😆 but then again it is the RFL so you might be right!

Edited by The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, sheddingswasus said:

In this instance you are wrong. Each club will be able to have their say but the RFL in this instance will be making the decision not the clubs and the decision will be final. Will he announced 1st Nov so all clubs can plan for 2024 season 

Not unless the champ clubs turn round and say they aren't playing if the RFL give the decision they don't want. Can't see mighty wakey, Fev, Toulouse etc being happy going to North Wales & Cornwall

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Neutralfan7 said:

Not unless the champ clubs turn round and say they aren't playing if the RFL give the decision they don't want. Can't see mighty wakey, Fev, Toulouse etc being happy going to North Wales & Cornwall

North Wales only just lost the playoff final, if they had managed to beat Donny would the mighty wakey, Fev and toulouse have refused to go there next season?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Neutralfan7 said:

But then again they may be happy coming the revitalised Oldham and the revitalised Oldham  coming to them. But, as I've said before there is an advantage for Oldham in retaining the status quo this upcoming season.We have a much better chance of getting silverware and upping our IMG status.