Sat-Sun 14th/15th October Pacific Championship (SKY)

Just now, StandOffHalf said:

Why does Staggs want to be part of this rather than the history-making tour for Tonga? Strange...

Staggs is an Indigenous Australian who has lived his entire life in Australia, representing the Kangaroos is a pretty big deal. 

Staggs is of Tongan descent through his father, a man who he didn't even meet until he was 20 I believe. 

4 minutes ago, sam4731 said:

So the games should not have any affect on world rankings. But the IRL have no backbone so they will.

Confirmation:

https://www.intrl.sport/news/pacific-championships-to-be-played-under-nrl-rules/

The board of International Rugby League has granted dispensation for the Pacific Championships to be played under NRL and NRLW rules, including 35 minutes halves for women's international fixtures.

More accurately the NRL has granted dispensation for the IRL to use its players for post season practice as long as it does what it's told.

• Like 1

if Walsh or Ponga and maybe a couple of others put their hand up for NZ they could beat this lot, they're nowt special - seen far better kangaroo teams

• Haha 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 minute ago, UTK said:

Staggs is an Indigenous Australian who has lived his entire life in Australia, representing the Kangaroos is a pretty big deal. 

Staggs is of Tongan descent through his father, a man who he didn't even meet until he was 20 I believe. 

Sure, and I'm happy for him that that's he's achieved that.

He's an established Tongan international, who's decided to switch as Tonga embark on the biggest series in their history.

I just find that strange, and a sad reflection on the state and perception of the game internationally.

10 minutes ago, sam4731 said:

Confirmation:

https://www.intrl.sport/news/pacific-championships-to-be-played-under-nrl-rules/

The board of International Rugby League has granted dispensation for the Pacific Championships to be played under NRL and NRLW rules, including 35 minutes halves for women's international fixtures.

More accurately the NRL has granted dispensation for the IRL to use its players for post season practice as long as it does what it's told.

Geez that's completely gutless.

new rise.jpg

5 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Sure, and I'm happy for him that that's he's achieved that.

He's an established Tongan international, who's decided to switch as Tonga embark on the biggest series in their history.

I just find that strange, and a sad reflection on the state and perception of the game internationally.

This is the double-edged sword that Nations inherently take on by utilising heritage players - unless those players have actively made the decision between their heritage and nation of birth (Ie Jason Taumalolo, Brian To'o, Junior Paulo, etc.) you always risk them not being committed to the cause. 

While I'm sure he was extremely proud to represent Tonga, if he had the choice at the time it is likely he would never have become an established Tongan International.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

lucky to be awarded that try - forward pass and ref unsighted with no camera angles

I thought it was all OK tbh. I'm surprised he just gave it as quick as that though. The ball probably was on the ground, but there's no way the ref could have known that from his position.

3 minutes ago, Ragingbull said:

Scary how many points this team score cosiderering  Tedesco and Munster are the only 1st choice backs in the team.

Imagine if Addo Carr, Mitchell, Holmes, Tom Turbo and Cleary were all fit and available.

I think the Aussies have looked pretty average after the opening 20.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

I think the Aussies have looked pretty average after the opening 20.

theres no Lockyers Kimmorleys Menzies or Fittlers in this outfit- shame we not getting a crack at them yet again

Edited by graveyard johnny
  • Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Just now, Ragingbull said:

You think the Hammers try on half time was pretty average? Wow some call that! 

A nice play off a bat-back. It was a lovely careening run.

Play in general has been meandering and just a bit off-the-pace.