Underwhelming start to the pacific tournaments

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Aus v NZ really should have been the opening game based on the high likelihood of it also being the final. 

It's another reason I don't really like this sort of Tri-Nations concept. Teams should either play each other twice, like the original Tri Nations, or we should look at 4 nations or more. A couple of games, with weeks off then a final doesn't really work for me.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

It's another reason I don't really like this sort of Tri-Nations concept. Teams should either play each other twice, like the original Tri Nations, or we should look at 4 nations or more. A couple of games, with weeks off then a final doesn't really work for me.

Agreed. It was the worst possible set up. 

15 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Aus v NZ really should have been the opening game based on the high likelihood of it also being the final. 

Yep, and Samoa should have played Tonga, same weekend before Tonga left for England. Samoa v Tonga is the jewel in the Pacific International RL crown. Both teams had to find a way to make it happen.

• Like 8

Crowd for the game yesterday was 23,269, leaves us with a rolling average of 20,706 for the series so far.

2019 Oceanic Cup average was 22k but utilised a double-header of mens Tonga and Samoa sides in the tests at Eden Park.

2014 4N average was 20k, but with 7 games rather than 4.

I've seen on another forum that tickets sold for Melbourne were sitting at around 12.5k on Tuesday earlier this week, so that game will probably push toward the 18-20k mark at a guess. 

Looks like we're tracking broadly in-line with previous tournaments/perhaps a minimal improvement overall.

Australia v NZ as the last game is nonsensical given it was the likely final the following weekend. Any chance it was deliberately scheduled this way at the clubs behest so that Australia and NZ could rest a few of their big name NRL stars for what is a dead rubber? Having the Kangaroos play three tests in a year, up from the usual one or none, no doubt has the clubs fretting.

Edited by eal

7 hours ago, Dave T said:

I thought that too, but I wasn't sure if stadium availability or travel etc. was a reason why they had done it differently.

Or perhaps they thought Samoa would have a good chance of beating NZ, since they reached the World Cup final.

Hopefully it won't matter anyway and Aus v NZ will be right up for it in Melbourne.

1 hour ago, Big Picture said:

What was the attendance for PNG vs Cook Islands please?

Haven't personally seen one reported yet, should've specified that average is for the Championship as opposed to the Bowl and is compared to the Oceanic Cup Group A (AUS/NZ/TONGA) from 2019.

13 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Underwhelming indeed. The matches so far have barely raised pulses beyond Sunday morning snooze levels.

Yesterday's buildup and first 20 was superb, one of the best opening exchanges to a game all year. 

Just too big of a gap between AUS/NZ and Samoa, even then the tries NZ scored throughout the game were quality so it was an enjoyable watch for the most part.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Dave T said:

I don`t know, Oz was always likely going to win this and Oz/NZ was probably always going to be the final so by giving the Kiwi`s games two weeks in a row gives them are far greater chance of getting their combos right and putting up a much more of a fight in the final and hopefully giving us a final worthy of international League. A cracking final will more than compensate for a couple of one-sided yet entertaining affairs earlier on.

Let me add the headlines down here have been very positive, concentrating on the positives out of each game. Despite the result in the first game it seemed that the papers were only interested in the unearthing of that young Samoan fullback and how he really stole the show.

Other thing is in response to some other posters being a little down on this tournament, this is early days, let`s give it a few years in between W/C`s and see how it`s going before we right it off. I for one expect PNG to make great strides.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, The Rocket said:

I don`t know, Oz was always likely going to win this and Oz/NZ was probably always going to be the final so by giving the Kiwi`s games two weeks in a row gives them are far greater chance of getting their combos right and putting up a much more of a fight in the final and hopefully giving us a final worthy of international League. A cracking final will more than compensate for a couple of one-sided yet entertaining affairs earlier on.

Let me add the headlines down here have been very positive, concentrating on the positives out of each game. Despite the result in the first game it seemed that the papers were only interested in the unearthing of that young Samoan fullback and how he really stole the show.

Other thing is in response to some other posters being a little down on this tournament, this is early days, let`s give it a few years in between W/C`s and see how it`s going before we right it off. I for one expect PNG to make great strides.

I did have to smile at your last paragraph.