I saw a christmas tree yesterday

5 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

We used to say that in the 70’s, these young uns try to claim everything. 
Edit: specifically in Scooby Doo. 

I never said the fun-sponges were right. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

14 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

Nothing, it just shows how pointless and ludicrous it is doing things too early - and stops them having a real meaning and being special. 

And why does other people doing things differently to your preference bother you so much?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

And why does other people doing things differently to your preference bother you so much?

Because I like Christmas to be Christmas. Maybe you don’t mind it being a 12 month festival but I don’t. And seeing trees on the first of November spoils that feeling of it being a specific - and special, time of year.  
Now you’ll have to excuse me because it’s been this way for almost 60 years of my life, so I have tended to form habits.

Conversely, why do you think it’s ok to make up your own time zones about when things happen? 

Edited by The Masked Poster

11 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Because that's how Preference works, everything has an opposite and you prefer one of the polars. Nazism bothers me to a great extent because it's horrible and my preference for a political system is a modern liberal one just as my preference for putting up my Christmas tree is putting it up much closer to Christmas so I don't like seeing one in November. 

9 hours ago, The Masked Poster said:

why do you think it’s ok to make up your own time zones about when things happen? 

Because it's spectacularly unimportant to how my Christmas goes.

Christmas is a made up festival anyway, based on a fiction most people no longer believe in, and no one is stopping you and your family and friends celebrating it in whatever way and whenever you choose.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

33 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Because it's spectacularly unimportant to how my Christmas goes.

Christmas is a made up festival anyway, based on a fiction most people no longer believe in, and no one is stopping you and your family and friends celebrating it in whatever way and whenever you choose.

So just because you don’t give a toss about something everyone else should feel and act similar to you?  

I do happen to think Christmas is a special time of year, with a lot of warm memories of family and friends, many long gone. So if I see a Christmas tree on the first of November, I personally don’t like it, hence my agreement with other posters on here. 

And Christmas Day is on 25th December, not “whenever I choose”. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

So just because you don’t give a toss about something everyone else should feel and act similar to you?  

I do happen to think Christmas is a special time of year, with a lot of warm memories of family and friends, many long gone. So if I see a Christmas tree on the first of November, I personally don’t like it, hence my agreement with other posters on here. 

And Christmas Day is on 25th December, not “whenever I choose”. 

It definitely is your choice to be made angry by other people living their lives in a way that has no impact on you.

I’m glad we agree.

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

It definitely is your choice to be made angry by other people living their lives in a way that has no impact on you.

I’m glad we agree.

Ah anger again…..I can’t just feel saddened and wistful about it? Gotcha. 

Have a nice year. (If indeed you believe in ludicrous restrictions and made up things like time) 😎😎

Personally as an agnostic who is very open to the possibility of the Christmas story being true, or at least partly true, I do always wonder why people who are so insistently atheist still participate in a Christian festival. I think hypocrisy is something I really can't stand even more than people putting their trees up in November. If you don't believe then surely you wouldn't want to participate? I think this is another example of people doing what they think society expects them to do rather than what they want to do. There's nothing stopping the atheists not putting a tree up and buying each other presents but they will. 

4 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Personally as an agnostic who is very open to the possibility of the Christmas story being true, or at least partly true, I do always wonder why people who are so insistently atheist still participate in a Christian festival. I think hypocrisy is something I really can't stand even more than people putting their trees up in November. If you don't believe then surely you wouldn't want to participate? I think this is another example of people doing what they think society expects them to do rather than what they want to do. There's nothing stopping the atheists not putting a tree up and buying each other presents but they will. 

I think you can view it as holiday season and a time to get together with people you might not possibly see otherwise. There’s nothing hypocritical about that, unless you were lecturing others about the real meaning of Christmas. 
There is also nothing stopping people who don’t like Christmas, insisting that they work over the period but very few will do so, that’s human nature. 

7 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

There's nothing stopping the atheists not putting a tree up and buying each other presents but they will. 

There's nothing remotely Christian about buying presents or putting up a tree.