Happy Anniversary to the Rugby World Cup!

A few days late, but on the 13th of November 1954, Dave Valentine's under-rated GB side lifted the first ever Rugby World Cup in Paris.

RWC.jpg

• Like 12

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Obviously next year there will major celebrations and media reports of the 70th anniversary just like there was for the 50th and 60th 😁

Would be nice to plan something for the 75th anniversary at least ! 

• Like 1

The Rugby League Fan's Mantra for helping the game grow internationally is ten two-letter words - IF IT IS TO BE, IT IS UP TO ME.

A great thread; thanks for the reminder, Futtocks.

As I recall reading, the Aussies were decidedly 'iffy' about the whole concept and only agreed to come if the French would underwrite any financial loss that they might incur.  Have I got that right, or do I imagine that?

I find it an intriguing fact of the history of team sports that, whereas their initial codification was very much something that occurred in Britain and other English speaking countries in the 19th century, taking them a step further to the international level in the 20th century was very much something in which France or French speaking countries played a key role.  Thus, for instance, soccer still has an international body with a French title - FIFA -  and ice hockey used to - the French language LIHG in due course becoming the English language IIHF.  Soccer and rugby both have Frenchmen to thank for having the vision for their first world cups.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

As I recall reading, the Aussies were decidedly 'iffy' about the whole concept and only agreed to come if the French would underwrite any financial loss that they might incur.  Have I got that right, or do I imagine that?

I find it an intriguing fact of the history of team sports that, whereas their initial codification was very much something that occurred in Britain and other English speaking countries in the 19th century, taking them a step further to the international level in the 20th century was very much something in which France or French speaking countries played a key role.  Thus, for instance, soccer still has an international body with a French title - FIFA -  and ice hockey used to - the French language LIHG in due course becoming the English language IIHF.  Soccer and rugby both have Frenchmen to thank for having the vision for their first world cups.

Great Britain was also very iffy, which is why the champions' squad was made up of quite an odd selection of players, with many big names either sitting it out or being held back by their clubs.

Getting the game's administrators to take internationals seriously (and thus become fish in a slightly larger pond) makes herding cats look like a cushy sinecure.

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

5 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Great Britain was also very iffy, which is why the champions' squad was made up of quite an odd selection of players, with many big names either sitting it out or being held back by their clubs.

Getting the game's administrators to take internationals seriously (and thus become fish in a slightly larger pond) makes herding cats look like a cushy sinecure.

Mike Dimitro's US Allstars were also meant to compete too but it never came to fruition. Imagine what could've been.

• Like 2

No….the official appointed to lead tour teams was usually a RL council member….mainly concerned with the business side of tours/competitions and team spirit. The Captain with the help of vice captain was responsible for ‘coaching’ or team preparation.

The 1954 tour to Australia had only concluded at the end of August ( last game August 22). The world cup started on 30 October. Given players were all part time and needed support of their employers to take time off for overseas tours, in some cases for loss of earnings, the back to back competitions were a stretch for some.

The only tour representatives to play in the world cup were Gerry Helme, Phil Jackson and Dave Valentine, all three played in the test matches on tour. Geoff Gunney and Billy Boston were included in the WC squad from the tourists but didnt appear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Not forgetting the modern Olympic Games.

The French have an unmatched record in international sport 

• Like 1