Line Up vs Keighley ??

Therein73

After Fergie admitted to having the 'right sort of headache', what would your selection look like for Sunday @ Keighley ??   here's my stab at it:

Restall:   Carr - Greensmith - O'Connor - Whiteley :  Sykes - Turner :  Beckett - Davies - Hird - Garside - Graham - Dawson (or Collinson)

Bench:  Hookem : Dixon : Morris : Dawson / Collinson

Hopefully that's good enough to get us our first win in 2024.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Therein73 said:

After Fergie admitted to having the 'right sort of headache', what would your selection look like for Sunday @ Keighley ??   here's my stab at it:

Restall:   Carr - Greensmith - O'Connor - Whiteley :  Sykes - Turner :  Beckett - Davies - Hird - Garside - Graham - Dawson (or Collinson)

I’d go along with that,but unfortunately I think Carr will be missing as he did his hamstring in the warm up on Sunday. Don’t think it’s serious though 🤞

3 hours ago, Therein73 said:

Hard to disagree with that line up.  Davey on the wing to replace Lewis.  I'd start with Dawson at 13 but think Fergie will go for Collinson.

Here’s my suggestion:

Restall, Davey Dixon, O’Connor, Greensmith, Whiteley; Sykes, Turner; Beckett, Davies, Hird; Graham, Garside, Dawson.

Subs: Hookem, Ronan Dixon, Morris, Jackson Walker.

It could be a real tester, with Keighley having been relegated, re-shaping the squad and Dews going the opposite way with new coach building his new team  

Keighley 18-25 Dewsbury 

FTS: Greensmith 

MoM: Davies

Att: 887

Legs, Dews, Legs.

16 hours ago, Mr Hicks said:

Have Dewsbury strengthened from last season

No.   Don't believe a word Steve P says😛

A major achievement for us just to retain the majority of the squad from last year.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, NickD said:

No.   Don't believe a word Steve P says😛

A major achievement for us just to retain the majority of the squad from last year.

Sorry, had a drink last night and couldn't resist.

Good luck Mr Hicks. 

Hope we are both in the second tier next year. Apparently it's the most the likes of Keighley and Dewsbury and a few more can hope for now 

• Like 1

Shambolic today. These games can show a lot of ring rust but wow, that was bad. No discipline, no set plays executed and no clear leadership on the pitch. 

The big lads just can’t defend- in both co-ordination and wanting to get stuck in.

Can only get better I suppose. A big response most definitely required.

• Sad 1

A family commitment meant I couldn’t go, but I’m pleased I missed it.

Hardly likely to get a big response against Bradford next week, after all they are SL material are they not?

Legs, Dews, Legs.

On 27/01/2024 at 09:01, Mr Hicks said:

Keighley fan wondering what to expect on Sunday.

Did you expect that😉

4 hours ago, RugbyPowelly said:

Shambolic today. These games can show a lot of ring rust but wow, that was bad. No discipline, no set plays executed and no clear leadership on the pitch. 

The big lads just can’t defend- in both co-ordination and wanting to get stuck in.

Can only get better I suppose. A big response most definitely required.

What master plan would you come up with going forward? The floor is yours!

Don’t do Facebook so commenting on here. I attended today 65 mile round trip paid my 18 quid in. On that basis I feel that I in a position to comment. Loads I ant to say but unlike assistant coach Chapman I will keep my powder dry. Shambolic performance most definitely. However a smart member of the coaching team does not hang his team members out to dry in public. I understand there is unrest as a result. To be clear I do not disagree with anything he has said but some things stay in house. If for instance you are the type of coach who sucks up all the glory then take a deep breath and react PROFESSIONALLY when things are not going so well.

• Like 3

I disagree Superstud. We needed to know how the coaching staff felt after that big defeat and Jaymes Chapman gave what I thought was a valid answer to the questions posed. He didn’t humiliate any player, but simply told us what they saw and how the team failed to perform.

Legs, Dews, Legs.

13 minutes ago, Crown Flatter said:

I disagree Superstud. We needed to know how the coaching staff felt after that big defeat and Jaymes Chapman gave what I thought was a valid answer to the questions posed. He didn’t humiliate any player, but simply told us what they saw and how the team failed to perform.

Respect your point of view and not here to argue with anyone. I think it would have been pretty clear what the coaching staff would have thought of that performance or at least it should have been. My grandma use to have a saying and it went something along the lines of “There is no need to do your dirty washing in public”.

Wasn't able to attend but never saw that result coming ..... the last thing we need to do though is throw the baby out with the bath water - This squad still looks at least as good last year's but whatever happened yesterday, my thinking is NOT to chop & change but give those players the chance to make amends next time out. Some years ago we went to York with a team including (i believe) Darren Roberts, Franny Maloney, Ryan Sheridan, Chappy etc and we got tonked by something like 74-10 ...... these days happen (especially with Dewsbury) but it doesn't suddenly make everything wrong. Everybody involved should (and I reckon will) be hurting after that result but let's not lose sight of the fact we have some damn good players and as fans the way we can help is get behind them, turn up in numbers and show the same pride we ask for from the players.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SUPERSTUD said:

What master plan would you come up with going forward? The floor is yours!

Hard to say directly. We didn’t spend a lot on recruitment and put more effort into the existing young squad- which was always risky as despite good results last year there were issues in most games that needed addressing- mainly defensively. Against better teams these cracks were always going to show more.

So the training field is the key area to work on. My opinion is that it is the forwards where the main issues are but Fergie should be the best person to get those working better. 

I do hope that the lads really bounce back next week. I think they will- maybe not win but put out a better performance.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SUPERSTUD said:

Don’t do Facebook so commenting on here. I attended today 65 mile round trip paid my 18 quid in. On that basis I feel that I in a position to comment. Loads I ant to say but unlike assistant coach Chapman I will keep my powder dry. Shambolic performance most definitely. However a smart member of the coaching team does not hang his team members out to dry in public. I understand there is unrest as a result. To be clear I do not disagree with anything he has said but some things stay in house. If for instance you are the type of coach who sucks up all the glory then take a deep breath and react PROFESSIONALLY when things are not going so well.

Was he just poking the bear to try and get a big response? It can work.

2 hours ago, RugbyPowelly said:

Hard to say directly. We didn’t spend a lot on recruitment and put more effort into the existing young squad- which was always risky as despite good results last year there were issues in most games that needed addressing- mainly defensively. Against better teams these cracks were always going to show more.

So the training field is the key area to work on. My opinion is that it is the forwards where the main issues are but Fergie should be the best person to get those working better. 

I do hope that the lads really bounce back next week. I think they will- maybe not win but put out a better performance.

Fair points. We lack a creative leader who can direct us around the park and ultimately control the ball game. Keighley had Miller controlling the game from half back yesterday and rightly won their man of the match. We had absolutely nobody and everything we tried was extremely poor and cobbled together. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SUPERSTUD said:

Fair points. We lack a creative leader who can direct us around the park and ultimately control the ball game. Keighley had Miller controlling the game from half back yesterday and rightly won their man of the match. We had absolutely nobody and everything we tried was extremely poor and cobbled together. 

We all knew it was going to be hard season but the manner of the defeat at League 1 Keighley is very worrying. If Keighley can beat us by circa 30 points then what will the likes of Bradford and Trinity do to us?

The players we've signed are all young lads from SL Academy teams and players from the Amateur game. We haven't signed any tried and tested Championship players to compliment them and the younger lads from last years League 1 side. This is presumably down to wage constraints.

Plan B will likely to lean on Huddersfield Giants to loan their fringe players in the coming weeks which brings with it, it's own problems of our own players becoming disillusioned.

I hope yesterdays result can promote a reaction from the team against Bradford next week as we didn't play too badly against Batley and Fev in pre season.

• Like 2
rambo.gif

Family commitments made me miss it. T h I was expecting a fairly close win/loss.

I'm not sure playing full-time Huddersfield team and getting battered is a good idea week before season starts.

And I agree with some comments on Jaymes Chapman's response. I remember a saying that coaches should react the opposite way to fans, not get too excited when they win and boost the team up when they lose.

The teams performance is as much down to the coaches as the players. That we've got very inexperienced coaches at Championship level was another risk.

We will see what Sunday brings against Bradford, the displays against Batley, Fev and Huddersfield were decent, so maybe it was a one off. We will see. 

• Like 3