York Challenge Cup

Wakefield Ram

11 hours ago, graham fisher said:

Spare a thought for me and anyone else that’s in a similar position. After following the club from been a little lad I was eligible for a concession this season only for the club to do away with it. But like Crown Flatter says I can understand as probably 80%+ of our supporters are concessions,which is sad really.

I'd agree that below Super League, the majority of most clubs supporters are long standing, older fans, and every club needs to be aware that at this level we struggle to attract younger followers. The question is, how many will stay away tomrrow, and would a £5 concesston discount have made any difference? Does the match being streamed bring any financial gain to compensate?

Edited by HaxbyKnight
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, graham fisher said:

Spare a thought for me and anyone else that’s in a similar position. After following the club from been a little lad I was eligible for a concession this season only for the club to do away with it. But like Crown Flatter says I can understand as probably 80%+ of our supporters are concessions,which is sad really.

The club did away with it three years ago, Graham. 70% of ST holders and the general attendance would qualify for an OAP concession so it is unaffordable if we want the club to invest, albeit modestly, in the team.

Under 18's allowed in free is a big plus-point, I reckon.

• Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

12 hours ago, SUPERSTUD said:

Hi WR I will give you my take on the complete mystery touch kicking scenario. In the previous game v Keighley the designated touch kicker failed to find touch on one occasion. I was present at that game and it led to Keighley proceeding up field and scoring a try. So v Bradford the designated touch kicker bottled it and ultimately handed over the duties to a younger less experienced half back as the game progressed. Basically a more experienced half back lacking gonads hence our current on field playing state.

That same "gonad-deficient" (your description, not mine) half back also didn't take the kick-offs nor the drop-outs. Do you think that there may have been an injury involved?

• Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, HaxbyKnight said:

I'd agree that below Super League, the majority of most clubs supporters are long standing, older fans, and every club needs to be aware that at this level we struggle to attract younger followers. The question is, how many will stay away tomrrow, and would a £5 concesston discount have made any difference? Does the match being streamed bring any financial gain to compensate?

Ask Batley how well their discounted prices worked last season.

There is no payment for streaming a first game for any Championship/C1 clubs.

11 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Ask Batley how well their discounted prices worked last season.

There is no payment for streaming a first game for any Championship/C1 clubs.

If 70% would qualify for a concession then you are correct, it isn't viable. I do think clubs should be compensated for streaming/tv coverage though. Changing match days and kick off times is only for the production companies to fill in their schedules, and pays little regard to the clubs or their fans. Will streaming our game tomorrow bring in any new fans to either of our clubs, or the game in general? I doubt it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

That same "gonad-deficient" (your description, not mine) half back also didn't take the kick-offs nor the drop-outs. Do you think that there may have been an injury involved?

He took the solitary kick at goal from out wide so your theory doesn’t fit. Lack of confidence IMHO along with general in match decision making, taking the line on, squaring up the defence and all round offensive approach play. An half should aspire to be a cocky dominant force on the field. Confidence is a massive attribute rather than shying away!

23 hours ago, coolie said:

Southstand is closed 

As far as I know🤔 

Now confirmed on the web site.

• Sad 1

Firstly, a gutsy performance. It's a shame Lewis Carr and Bailey O'Connor couldn't finish their chance. Think that'd could have given us the win. As 2nd half progressed, we started letting them ptb quicker and they got a roll on. That the ref gave York the 6 again at the death was a bit ironic. He ignored their interference and lying on. 

I don't understand why Turner was putting up uncontested kicks. We should be trying to score not just handing over possession. What's happened to his grubber kicks?

With Sykes, Garside and Restall to come back, that will strengthen the team. Can't help thinking that Ferguson putting his boots back on would be the best thing he could do. 

Edited by Wakefield Ram
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Firstly, a gutsy performance. It's a shame Lewis Carr and Bailey O'Connor couldn't finish their chance. Think that'd could have given us the win. As 2nd half progressed, we started letting them ptb quicker and they got a roll on. That the ref gave York the 6 again at the death was a bit ironic. He ignored their interference and lying on. 

I don't understand why Turner was putting up uncontested kicks. We should be trying to score not just handing over possession. What's happened to his grubber kicks?

With Sykes, Garside and Restall to come back, that will strengthen the team. Can't help thinking that Ferguson putting his boots back on would be the best thing he could do. 

Agree with that about Ferguson

• Like 1

A solid display showing plenty of determination and grit. The defence looked far better this week, albeit against a less creative side than Bradford.

My main concern is a lack of any real creativity with nobody actually taking on the line. The passing movements were pretty but nobody drew a man first - possibly an unfair criticism given the conditions and time of year.

This should give us some encouragement and, with the possible addition of a couple of season-long loans from Huddersfield we can only get better, can't we?

3 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

A solid display showing plenty of determination and grit. The defence looked far better this week, albeit against a less creative side than Bradford.

My main concern is a lack of any real creativity with nobody actually taking on the line. The passing movements were pretty but nobody drew a man first - possibly an unfair criticism given the conditions and time of year.

This should give us some encouragement and, with the possible addition of a couple of season-long loans from Huddersfield we can only get better, can't we?

I went to the game and thought Dewsbury put up a good display for 60min.They do lack a bit of size and strength in the forwards  and the right side defence looks a bit iffy.I agree about lack of creativity poor kicking game and not much linking from the half backs.I like the left centre no 3 and no 8 Becket looks a good forward been impressed with him before against Widnes in the cup.It will be a struggle for Dewsbury this season lets hope they do away with relegation.

• Like 1

Who got the Dewsbury MoM? I must have missed it.

31 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Didn't hear it announced. I'd have gone for Jimmy Beckett or Bailey O'Connor. 

3 tries in 3 games says it all about lack of creativity. Sorry to say but Turner just isn't a Championship standard half back. Like Finn at the end of his career, defences know he's going to pass so they don't need to mark him. Which just makes it easy to defend against him. And chipping the ball to the opposition with uncontested easy catches won't win us games. Our kicking game needs to be about trying to score not just hand the ball over. 

Edited by Wakefield Ram

13 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

3 tries in 3 games says it all about lack of creativity. Sorry to say but Turner just isn't a Championship standard half back. Like Finn at the end of his career, defences know he's going to pass so they don't need to mark him. Which just makes it easy to defend against him. And chipping the ball to the opposition with uncontested easy catches won't win us games. Our kicking game needs to be about trying to score not just hand the ball over. 

We signed him as a full back and he did a job for us at 7. We got away with it in league 1 and did well to win the competition but we do need a bit more from a half back in the Championship.

Some good effort on show today but have a feeling our season may well be determined by who we get on loan from the Giants and the strength of that agreement as the Season develops 🤞

• Like 1
rambo.gif

57 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

no one...wasnt a MOM today fir some reason.  No sponsor???

1 hour ago, Wakefield Ram said:

Brad Graham for me - this shows how difficult it is to single out individuals in a team game.

I feel sorry for Turner who isn't a natural half back but gets criticised for it - full back is his best position. Maybe the Giants lucky dip will turn up something interesting, possibly even a local lad?

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Brad Graham for me - this shows how difficult it is to single out individuals in a team game.

I feel sorry for Turner who isn't a natural half back but gets criticised for it - full back is his best position. Maybe the Giants lucky dip will turn up something interesting, possibly even a local lad?

Exactly, Turner is a full back who filled in as a 7 last season. He's a quality full back.

• Like 3

Better defence today, but, as stated above, we still lack ideas on attack. For four successive games we have failed to score in the second half, Huddersfield, Keighley, Bradford and today, that should be worrying as it looks like we run out of ideas and steam too. The winning try came from a second half build of York pressure and our tiring defence, which was more of a set of individuals trying to defend rather than a defending team with a strategy. Earlier in the second half, from a lengthy attacking stint with the help of a set restart, we should have made an attempt at a drop goal. That might just have sealed it at that point (no pun intended). 

We should also note that York left out a number of their top players.

Edited by Crown Flatter
  • Like 1
Legs, Dews, Legs.

Thought the effort and togetherness as a team was first class today. My only observation - not a criticism - was that the attack was disjointed. After watching the Oldham attack against Barrow, we need to copy their formation.  ie. we form one attacking line across the field but Oldham had a two line structure. They thus had two players available to receive a pass instead of one. You will see what I mean if you can watch catch up of what was shown on BBC red button.

I agree with comments regarding chipping ball over opponents, but surely chip into a space.

• Like 1

Every poster has made some valid points tonight. We are most definitely still a work in progress. Today though I personally just want to praise the effort and comradeship of a predominantly young team. Well done a very good honest effort.

• Like 6