York Challenge Cup

Wakefield Ram

13 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Brad Graham for me - this shows how difficult it is to single out individuals in a team game.

I feel sorry for Turner who isn't a natural half back but gets criticised for it - full back is his best position. Maybe the Giants lucky dip will turn up something interesting, possibly even a local lad?

Last season at Keighley we had Jack Bibby and Kieran Rush from Huddersfield. A big prop and a decent half back, sounds like you could do with them. I think their game time will be limited looking at the Giants squad.

• Like 3

Although it was a big improvement in attitude yesterday I still feel a bit disappointed because I thought in the third quarter of the game it was there for us to win. 

The York supporters near us were complaining about the side they had fetched, including the full back  who they said was third choice, but for me he was one of their best players. Never put a foot wrong. 

Couldn't make it yesterday, but watched online. My takeaways were:-

• Much better attitude than v Bradford (and I assume Keighley)
  • Stand out players for me were O'Connor, Greensmith, Graham and Beckett
  • Still too many light pack players, we must be the smallest in the league
  • Understand the comments about Turner at Half-back, but think this is now where he will play, so need to see more taking the line on (although difficult with the underfoot conditions

A few things I don't understand:-

• Last year how many tries did we score with Turner putting attacking kicks to Graham and O'Connor near the opponents line? I haven't seen us try this yet this year?
  • Turner was great at attacking kicks, I just don't understand why we used Hookem to kick the ball regularly on the last tackle, he just isn't a kicker
  • Penalty kicks to touch, why do we only try and make 10 - 15m each time, even with the wind? Get it high and get it flying on the wind, the older players will remember Richard Agar making 40 - 50m regularly
  • Drop goal, at 8 - 2 up we had two opportunities to slot a one pointer over, which may have made the difference, but instead, put up a non-descript kick, I think if we'd have squeaked 2 scores ahead we may have made it through 
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Who got the Dewsbury MoM? I must have missed it.

League Express chose Lewis Carr.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, coolie said:

I'd give Hookem & Rush a run out at halfback, try get a friendly against weaker team to try things out

They'll be a few teams sat on their hands for a month 🤔😉

Rush?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

15 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Rush?

Way down the pecking order at the Giants... would be a really good loan signing for us!!  I would really like to see Bailey O'Connor at 6 and ... if we can get him.. Rush at 7!  ... Callum Turner back to 1 and Owen Restall on the wing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, the old nine ole said:

Way down the pecking order at the Giants... would be a really good loan signing for us!!  I would really like to see Bailey O'Connor at 6 and ... if we can get him.. Rush at 7!  ... Callum Turner back to 1 and Owen Restall on the wing.

Pure speculation I presume but isn't Kieran Rush a Dewsbury lad?

I think that full back is an unusual problem for us, having two decent ones available for once. I think that OR's follow up play is ideal for full back but wasted on the wing. I still believe that Bailey O'Connor is more of a natural centre than stand off, but we do need a new/fresh/pacey SO.

Hooker/dummy half is still a slight problem too.

• Like 1

On 12/02/2024 at 12:13, thehullram said:

• Much better attitude than v Bradford (and I assume Keighley)
  • Stand out players for me were O'Connor, Greensmith, Graham and Beckett
  • Still too many light pack players, we must be the smallest in the league
  • Understand the comments about Turner at Half-back, but think this is now where he will play, so need to see more taking the line on (although difficult with the underfoot conditions

• Last year how many tries did we score with Turner putting attacking kicks to Graham and O'Connor near the opponents line? I haven't seen us try this yet this year?
  • Turner was great at attacking kicks, I just don't understand why we used Hookem to kick the ball regularly on the last tackle, he just isn't a kicker
  • Penalty kicks to touch, why do we only try and make 10 - 15m each time, even with the wind? Get it high and get it flying on the wind, the older players will remember Richard Agar making 40 - 50m regularly
  • Drop goal, at 8 - 2 up we had two opportunities to slot a one pointer over, which may have made the difference, but instead, put up a non-descript kick, I think if we'd have squeaked 2 scores ahead we may have made it through 

Agree on the kicks, Turner set up quite a few from his high kicks and for himself through grubbers. And on touch kicks seem very risk averse. We need to make the most of every attacking opportunity. 

We just seem to have regressed to Lee Greenwood days as far as tactics are concerned. 

Can't fault the effort and grit but it will need more than that to stay up. 

On 13/02/2024 at 14:23, Blind side johnny said:

Pure speculation I presume but isn't Kieran Rush a Dewsbury lad?

I think that full back is an unusual problem for us, having two decent ones available for once. I think that OR's follow up play is ideal for full back but wasted on the wing. I still believe that Bailey O'Connor is more of a natural centre than stand off, but we do need a new/fresh/pacey SO.

Owen has to stay at FB.  Simples

On 12/02/2024 at 12:13, thehullram said:

•  

Brad took a bad knock earlier on and I wonder if this "stopped" him competing for some of those kicks later on in the match?   Certainly wasn't going up like he used to.   Think he did well to stay on tbh.   looked like a and un at the time.

35 minutes ago, NickD said:

Brad took a bad knock earlier on and I wonder if this "stopped" him competing for some of those kicks later on in the match?   Certainly wasn't going up like he used to.   Think he did well to stay on tbh.   looked like a and un at the time.

Incident occurred in first two minutes of the game. Very lucky to come out of it without a broken leg. Played further seventy eight minutes. No malice by York player just very quick unfortunate passage of play.

On 13/02/2024 at 14:23, Blind side johnny said:

I noticed that Russell went of after only a short spell, indicating a knock to the head then being sick on the side-lines - classic concussion symptoms I believe. I hope that he was thoroughly checked out.

• Like 1

On 12/02/2024 at 22:52, coolie said:

Ian

Ex Liverpool

I've heard he's available 🤔😉

you'd probably only be able to afford Jennifer Rush on your wage bill.....

• Haha 1

"you never win a game unless you beat the guy in front of you. The score on the board doesn’t mean a thing. That’s for the fans. You’ve got to win the war with the man in front of you. You’ve got to get your man." - Vince Lombardi.