Super League on TalkSport

Rugby League Commercial and talkSPORT today announce a new two-year agreement for broadcasting rights to Men's and Women's Super League Rugby, covering 40 matches per season in 2024 and 2025 via commentary and reports. The first commentary of the season will be on the opening match between Hull FC and Hull KR on 15 February.  

https://www.superleague.co.uk/article/3931/talksport-coverage-to-include-betfred-mens-and-womens-super-league-for-next-two-years

• Like 8

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

They blatantly and unapologetically ignore Rugby League

The only pundit on there who ever mentions our game is Stuart Pearce, he even implored them to give it more airtime and was roundly shut down. Hes never mentioned it since, it’s almost as if someone told him afterwards that he couldn’t go off script to push Rugby League.

On the other side of the coin they love their Rugby Union guff

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, OMEGA said:

They blatantly and unapologetically ignore Rugby League

The only pundit on there who ever mentions our game is Stuart Pearce, he even implored them to give it more airtime and was roundly shut down. Hes never mentioned it since, it’s almost as if someone told him afterwards that he couldn’t go off script to push Rugby League.

On the other side of the coin they love their Rugby Union guff

Adrian Durham is a pretty big League fan, and I've heard him mention Rugby League quite a bit.

Hawksbee and Jacobs always mention it also and did a show from Warrington iirc last year.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

Apart from all the commentaries they've done for years?

This announcement is a bit strange in that way. I'm sure every season we get something along the lines of Talksport covering 40+ games and every year we're all a bit surprised that they do.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

What they did or didn't do in the past ...is in the past. 

"THEY DO THINGS DIFFERENTLY there.’ The immortal first line to L. P. Hartley’s THE GO-BETWEEN wistfully condenses the problems inherent to memory and history. Distant, intangible, unreliable, lost, our histories, at the levels of personal and national, are at best half-remembered and at worst actively misrepresented."

37 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

This announcement is a bit strange in that way. I'm sure every season we get something along the lines of Talksport covering 40+ games and every year we're all a bit surprised that they do.

Doesn't the same apply to other sports? They seem to have rights for quite a few different events, but whenever you put the channel on it is some 1990s Premier League squad player talking about Luton Town's transfer targets.

• Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

• 4 weeks later...
On 06/02/2024 at 19:47, RigbyLuger said:

Apart from all the commentaries they've done for years?

And to emphasise my point

Since we last discussed this we’ve had Wigan winning the World Club Championship and we’ve just seen Rugby League dominate headlines in all sorts of places, media platforms and outlets by taking over Las Vegas but not even the slightest mention of either on TalkSport 

12 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

Since we last discussed this we’ve had Wigan winning the World Club Championship and we’ve just seen Rugby League dominate headlines in all sorts of places, media platforms and outlets by taking over Las Vegas but not even the slightest mention of either on TalkSport 

Like taking the commentary from Las Vegas on Saturday night you mean?

What have the BBC done?

52 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

Like taking the commentary from Las Vegas on Saturday night you mean?

What have the BBC done?

I’ve got TalkSport on from 6.00am till 4.00pm every weekday and not once have I heard a single presenter mention Rugby League

commentary is a different thing, it serves them to have that content but why never mention the sport during their broadcasts during the day?

They have Union guests on doing features, Darts, Snooker, Boxing and never shut up about Cheltenham race meetings but have no time to talk about Rugby League, it’s disappointing to say the least

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OMEGA said:

I don’t listen to Talk Sport any more as it’s just endless inane rambling about the top of the premier league, rugby league is far from the only thing ignored by their presenters. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

I’ve got TalkSport on from 6.00am till 4.00pm every weekday and not once have I heard a single presenter mention Rugby League

commentary is a different thing, it serves them to have that content but why never mention the sport during their broadcasts during the day?

They have Union guests on doing features, Darts, Snooker, Boxing and never shut up about Cheltenham race meetings but have no time to talk about Rugby League, it’s disappointing to say the least

Heard Adrian Durham talk about rugby league a lot over the years. Hawksbee and Jacobs regularly have rugby league related guests on. Jacobs in particular always says how much he prefers watching league to union.

There's not some big conspiracy by them to not cover rugby league. They're a private company and know that 90% of their audience only care about premier league football.

• Like 1

Since being housebound,  hopefully temporarily due to knee injury I've discovered Jim White and Simon Jordan's show, 10am to 1pm. Very entertaining,  Jordan is a hoot. Mainly about football but also a bit of boxing is thrown in and occasionally cricket during Test matches taking place in India. Forthcoming RL  commentary is mentioned but not discussed.

Edited by HawkMan

36 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Since being housebound,  hopefully temporarily due to knee injury I've discovered Jim White and Simon Jordan's show, 10am to 1pm. Very entertaining,  Jordan is a hoot. Mainly about football but also a bit of boxing is thrown in and occasionally cricket during Test matches taking place in India. Forthcoming RL  commentary is mentioned but not discussed.

Jordan is good when he's talking about football structures, calling out agents etc.

Can't really listen to him talk about boxing though. He's one of those that still thinks it's the 90s with Benn, Bruno and Eubank.

His wife/partner is from Hull. Wonder if she's black and white or red and white.

Edited by Welshleaguelover
  • Like 1