showing the other scores live updates

4 hours ago, Dave T said:

That does rather ignore the fact that games being broadcast live on the same platform at the same time is relatively unusual. The NRL don't play games at the same time. 

That said, I think Champions League coverage does it (from memory) and that would be a good comparison. 

I used to like it when they would flash up the try highlights during the game on Friday night, I just think it is unnecessary and jarring now that all games are shown live on Sky. 

There does need to be an understanding of how customers consume the product, people have multiple screens, watch on slight delay, watch multiple games etc. it is 100% a valid complaint and piece of feedback for it to annoy people. 

On Saturday, I'd been travelling, so watched on delay, around half an hour after kick off. I also watched across two screens, however the Cas v Wigan game on further delay. I ended up turning that off as events were being told to me by the Wire commentator. 

Sometimes it won't bother me in the slightest, I'll do what you describe, particularly where my team aren't involved but when we have 80 minute games, it's not going to be too unusual for some of the audience to watch two full matches over one evening, and approach to spoilers needs some thought. I mean, it really does go back decades. 

Ive seen loads of people on SM loving the fact they can watch 2 games at the same time on two screens, personally i couldn’t with that, wonder if its a generational thing?

3 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Ive seen loads of people on SM loving the fact they can watch 2 games at the same time on two screens, personally i couldn’t with that, wonder if its a generational thing?

Blimey. How do they cope when both games go to the bunker at the same time?

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

SL+ is carrying the Sky feed though, isn't it?

I'd have no problem with the onus being on SL+ to find ways of obscuring on screen score updates. It's clearly their subscribers who are the issue. But it's not on Sky to change what they're doing.

This post doesn't make sense. Why is this an SL+ issue? The conversation is about Sky.

5 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

I tried it on football a few years ago and struggled, but TV's are bigger and better now so it could work. I also wasn't really that interested in two football games at once tbh. RL is different though.

3 hours ago, Dave T said:

Whilst beibg shown on the same platform is a really important omission from your post and a core point of the discussion. As I say, I *think* CL does it, so your point has merit, I acknowledge that. 

They've given updates for years, and it hasn't been an issue, because the games weren't on Sky. Things have changed. Maybe our approach needs to reflect that. 

I do think it’s quite a simple fix, just as has been said put a flash up ‘score updates’ at 20 and 60 minute marks, also it’s fine to discuss them in the HT break.

For this to work though it would have to be a rule that the commentators don’t talk about the other games though.

I wish we were big enough to have a ‘soccer saturday’ type programme but where they actually show the action and a panel discuss  it aswell when there are 3 games on at the same time, but were not.

2 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

Blimey. How do they cope when both games go to the bunker at the same time?

Aye, surely something is going to be tweaked there for next week?

• Like 2

Just now, Dave T said:

I tried it on football a few years ago and struggled, but TV's are bigger and better now so it could work. I also wasn't really that interested in two football games at once tbh. RL is different though.

Most set ups ive seen is one game on the tv the other on a laptop/tablet, it would do my head in.

Just now, Chrispmartha said:

I do think it’s quite a simple fix, just as has been said put a flash up ‘score updates’ at 20 and 60 minute marks, also it’s fine to discuss them in the HT break.

For this to work though it would have to be a rule that the commentators don’t talk about the other games though.

I wish we were big enough to have a ‘soccer saturday’ type programme but where they actually show the action and a panel discuss  it aswell when there are 3 games on at the same time, but were not.

Agreed. I think there are various solutions and options. 

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

This post doesn't make sense. Why is this an SL+ issue? The conversation is about Sky.

Because I'm replying to a post that mentions SL+ which followed on from one about Watch NRL.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Most set ups ive seen is one game on the tv the other on a laptop/tablet, it would do my head in.

I used two screens for a spell the other day. One lot of commentary, and then flipping commentary if something interesting happened. RL is pretty fast paced so it will take some getting used to, but there are plenty of stoppages at the moment with players playing dead to get a VR review, and I expect that will continue!

2 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Or we could just carry on as we are now, which seems a lot more sensible and reflective of how people watch and consume sport.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

21 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

SL+ is carrying the Sky feed though, isn't it?

I'd have no problem with the onus being on SL+ to find ways of obscuring on screen score updates. It's clearly their subscribers who are the issue. But it's not on Sky to change what they're doing.

But Sky are showing all the games live too, it bothers me and I don't have SL+, only Sky Sports.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Or we could just carry on as we are now, which seems a lot more sensible and reflective of how people watch and consume sport.

its a small change that would satisfy both opinions.

Carry on as now? its a totally new 'issue' as we have never had live games on the same platform at the same time.

It's quite a rare thing isn't it, not sure many other sports in Britain do this?

• Like 2

Carry on as now? its a totally new 'issue' as we have never had live games on the same platform at the same time.

It's quite a rare thing isn't it, not sure many other sports in Britain do this?

As I said, I can’t think of one where, if there has been another game or games on, whether broadcast or not, that updates haven’t been provided both in commentary and on screen.

Just to add though, It doesn't really bother me, Im very rarely going to be able to watch all the broadcast games back to back and the chances of me not getting spoilers in between watching them is zero.

Sky may also actively want people to channel hop

Just now, gingerjon said:

As I said, I can’t think of one where, if there has been another game or games on, whether broadcast or not, that updates haven’t been provided both in commentary and on screen.

I meant another sport having 3 games broadcast at the sametime on the same platform, I don't think Ive ever seen that on Sky

13 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

I made the point about Champions League, but I don't watch that closely enough to know whether TNT do it, if I had to put money on, I'd say yes.

The other one is English Football League when they show all games on the red button - do they talk about other games on their commentary?

The point is it does bother a lot of RL fans (I've seen complaints all over different social media about it) and can be solved without impacting anybody at all.  Just stop doing it and everyone's happy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

I meant another sport having 3 games broadcast at the sametime on the same platform, I don't think Ive ever seen that on Sky

Not sure - did it happen when they had Champions League?

It happens now with TNT. They provide updates in commentary and on screen from other games as well as a goals programme.

18 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

The point is it does bother a lot of RL fans (I've seen complaints all over different social media about it) and can be solved without impacting anybody at all.  Just stop doing it and everyone's happy.

RL fans will never be happy 😉

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Cycling - they are outstandingly good at not informing you of results or events of overlapping races. An example of this was just yesterday in the Alpes-Maritime Tour commentary they welcomed viewers who would have just switched over from their Tour of Algarve coverage stating that race had just finished but didn’t tell us who won as they appreciate that spoils things for a lot of viewers.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, arcticchris said:

Cycling - they are outstandingly good at not informing you of results or events of overlapping races. An example of this was just yesterday in the Alpes-Maritime Tour commentary they welcomed viewers who would have just switched over from their Tour of Algarve coverage stating that race had just finished but didn’t tell us who won as they appreciate that spoils things for a lot of viewers.

That's interesting. Not one I'd have even thought of, to be honest.

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

You are replying to the master of that skill 😉

Thanks. I've always wanted to be good at something. Sadly, I'm not top of the league by a long way, confirmed by looking at the posts from the vociferous few keeping this topic on artifical respiration.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

sky won't stop showing scores the whole point of showing all the games is to drive viewing figures down so they can drop the price they pay on the next deal.

• Haha 1

Through the fish-eyed lens of tear stained eyes
I can barely define the shape of this moment in time(roger waters)