showing the other scores live updates

40 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Apps is different. You’re definitely into a very niche audience there. Do what you like. Hence my earlier comment that SL+ could find a fix.

ON this point specifically - you are correct that it is more niche, the point about this is that these apps are all about sports broadcasting and they acknowledge that spoilers are a real thing. 

A slightly different point for me is that I don't actually think many of our commentators are slick enough to be able to link into it nicely. With some of the updates on Saturday night, it felt rather dated, not unlike listening to the Rugby on the wireless. Even ignoring my preference about not knowing, it jarred with me tbh.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Sky have only done what we are talking about twice now in RL. Last Friday and Saturday. 

No they've definitely had score updates from concurrent games for a few years now on their broadcasts.

I don't believe they have ever been showing those other games though prior to this weekend. 

Haven't read through the entire theead, but I think it's one of those where you're just not going to please everyone, bar doing score updates during a break in play and saying "look away now".

Assuming the live score updates continue, I would be interested in Sky showing a pop up screen of the tries scored in other games though as they're happening - I don't think it'd be the first time they'd have done it if my memory's right but they don't do it consistently.

Just now, Tommygilf said:

No they've definitely had score updates from concurrent games for a few years now on their broadcasts.

I don't believe they have ever been showing those other games though prior to this weekend. 

So this is the only time they have given scores for a game they also have on another channel. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I very rarely watch sport that isn't live. I don't think I'm in a minority or else the viewing figures and schedules would show equivalent or close to equivalent numbers for full replays as for the live broadcast. They don't. It is a very niche thing to do.

I do also expect a broadcast of a sport to want to talk about and give detail about what else is happening in that sport. And that does include live scores from elsewhere. Given that that is how - with only a handful of exceptions it appears - other sports around the world are covered, again, it seems I'm not in the minority.

As for the Champions League: TNT normally give over all their channels, or as many as they need, to the games and they will update the scores on all games in each individual live match.

It's only niche in your opinion, I doubt you've got any statistics to back that up, and judging by the amount of complaints I've seen about it online on various sites/apps, id suggest it's not as niche as you think.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, overtheborder said:

Haven't read through the entire theead, but I think it's one of those where you're just not going to please everyone, bar doing score updates during a break in play and saying "look away now".

Assuming the live score updates continue, I would be interested in Sky showing a pop up screen of the tries scored in other games though as they're happening - I don't think it'd be the first time they'd have done it if my memory's right but they don't do it consistently.

They did that for a spell, I enjoyed that element on a Friday - I think it was a challenge in RL because often there is too much happening to be able to do that without it being a distraction. I expect that's the reason that was canned.

Just now, Dave T said:

So this is the only time they have given scores for a game they also have on another channel. 

Is it also the only time they have had a game on the other channel at the same time?

Even end of season days?

3 minutes ago, overtheborder said:

Just don't mention scores from other games during live play and literally everyone's happy. Who's not pleased in that scenario?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I very rarely watch sport that isn't live. I don't think I'm in a minority or else the viewing figures and schedules would show equivalent or close to equivalent numbers for full replays as for the live broadcast. They don't. It is a very niche thing to do.

I do also expect a broadcast of a sport to want to talk about and give detail about what else is happening in that sport. And that does include live scores from elsewhere. Given that that is how - with only a handful of exceptions it appears - other sports around the world are covered, again, it seems I'm not in the minority.

As for the Champions League: TNT normally give over all their channels, or as many as they need, to the games and they will update the scores on all games in each individual live match.

I am not sure this is going to go anywhere - You think it is ridiculous that they say to mute/turn over to avoid football scores before they show MOTD. 

You may only watch live sport, and that is great for you. Lots of people watch replays of sport. 

How many channels does TNT have then? I thought they only had 2 on sky, that can't show too many CL games they can spoil.

The whole excuse of "all sports show live scores during the matches" 

In the UK, not all sports are live on TV at the same time when they are giving away those scores. Last year no one complained about Sky showing the results of other games that were going on at the same time, as no one was able to watch those other matches, now they can.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tre Cool said:

It's only niche in your opinion, I doubt you've got any statistics to back that up, and judging by the amount of complaints I've seen about it online on various sites/apps, id suggest it's not as niche as you think.  

I think it is niche because, despite the presence of full replays on all channels, not a single full replay, as far as I can tell, takes a spot in any of those channel top tens, or ever has.

The reason sport is valuable to broadcasters and advertisers is the live element. Once that is taken away, the audience gets smaller and smaller. More and more niche, in fact.

How many individual people do you think are complaining? (That's a genuine Q). Because even taking this thread into account, I don't think there's even a dozen people wanting a change. And I'm going to assume that that is pretty close to the total number of people on this board who really, really want a change.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, Click said:

How many channels does TNT have then? I thought they only had 2 on sky

Four.

Plus additional on red button.

Plus additional on streaming.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Is it also the only time they have had a game on the other channel at the same time?

Even end of season days?

Yes (they did try red button for a week or two around 15-20 years ago). 

Last year, they moved all games to 8pm Friday, but only showed one. 

This weekend was a new way of broadcasting RL - it is fair to question whether what we used to do is still fit for purpose in the new model.

• Like 1

Just now, gingerjon said:

I think it is niche because, despite the presence of full replays on all channels, not a single full replay, as far as I can tell, takes a spot in any of those channel top tens, or ever has.

The reason sport is valuable to broadcasters and advertisers is the live element. Once that is taken away, the audience gets smaller and smaller. More and more niche, in fact.

How many individual people do you think are complaining? (That's a genuine Q). Because even taking this thread into account, I don't think there's even a dozen people wanting a change. And I'm going to assume that that is pretty close to the total number of people on this board who really, really want a change.

I've seen a good number of complaints on Reddit, Instagram and here.  I think you have to consider the type of fan/sport too.  RL fans are often fans of the sport as much as a team and will watch any game possible. Soccer fans aren't really like that in the same way and are much more focused (in general) on their own team.  And rah rahs don't count as it's not humanly possible to stay awake for more than 1 game of union in a weekend.

3 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

I've seen a good number of complaints on Reddit, Instagram and here.  I think you have to consider the type of fan/sport too.  RL fans are often fans of the sport as much as a team and will watch any game possible. Soccer fans aren't really like that in the same way and are much more focused (in general) on their own team.  And rah rahs don't count as it's not humanly possible to stay awake for more than 1 game of union in a weekend.

That is the prime reason for not having multiple matches on at the same time if not necessary.

• Like 3

Just now, Tommygilf said:

That is the prime reason for not having multiple matches on at the same time if not necessary.

I must admit, despite more RL on TV than ever, I was disappointed that there were no games on Sunday 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is the real solution.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

RL fans are often fans of the sport as much as a team and will watch any game possible. 

That is a fair observation.

Just now, Dave T said:

I must admit, despite more RL on TV than ever, I was disappointed that there were no games on Sunday 😆

Agreed!

Plus how can we get 2 matches on a Saturday played in 2 timezones kicking off at the same time?? 

It infuriates me that we've not got a 1430/1500 slot for Saturday afternoons when Football is not a competitor (officially) in pubs and homes.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Tre Cool said:

Just don't mention scores from other games during live play and literally everyone's happy. Who's not pleased in that scenario?

The gambling companies!  

This tread just doesn't get it...why is the NRL going to Vegas, the home of gambling?

The nature of online betting has evolved in North America this year in all major NA sports...hockey is way ahead with gamblers able to access multiple SAME TIME games to place bets, not just bets on who wins but who will score next, who will force the next turnover, who will score next.

The odds change on all of the scenarios real time, so to stay on top of things you need updated information real time.

You heard it first here real time.

Edited by Kayakman
  • Sad 1

Agreed!

Plus how can we get 2 matches on a Saturday played in 2 timezones kicking off at the same time?? 

It infuriates me that we've not got a 1430/1500 slot for Saturday afternoons when Football is not a competitor (officially) in pubs and homes.

To be fair, the Wigan v Cas game was originally going to be Saturday afternoon and Catalans v Wire in the evening. That felt quite a nice schedule (accepting that Friday's will be the day for overlaps if they are to stay).

We really should avoid clashes outside of Fridays. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kayakman said:

The gambling companies!  

This tread just doesn't get it...why is the NRL going to Vegas, the home of gambling?

The nature of online betting has evolved in North America this year in all major NA sporTs...hockey is way ahead with gamblers able to access multiple SAME TIME games to place bets, not just bets on who wins but who will score next, who will force the next turnover, who will score next.

The odds change on all of the scenarios real time, so to stay on top of things you need updated information real time.

That isn't relevant. THe updates are sporadic, delayed and sometimes muddled. These are not gambling updates.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Agreed!

The Saturday at 2.45pm slot (to allow time to finish and head over to soccer's final score) is crying out for RL.

You could probably manage two games on Saturday evening if you did something like 6pm (for two teams local enough to each other) and 8pm.

A Sunday game would probably need to either be midday or 6.30pm to avoid Super Sunday football and stay away from Championship/League 1 kick offs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

The gambling companies!  

The nature of online betting has evolved in North America this year in all major NA sports...hockey is way ahead with gamblers able to access multiple SAME TIME games to place bets, not just bets on who wins but who will score next, who will force the next turnover, who will score next.

I don't think gambling companies care if SKY puts up the live scores of other RL matches while showing an RL match.

Why would they care whatsoever? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Would there be much pushback from fans or the clubs to going all (or most) games in standalone time-slots like the NRL does?

8pm Thursday. 
8pm Friday. 
3pm Saturday. 
5:30pm Saturday. 
7:30pm Saturday. 
3pm Sunday. 

Or something like that.

If there was some issues with that maybe go with 2 Friday night games as the only 2 that clash as a compromise?

Edited by jim_57
  • Like 1