Top 3 or 4 SL clubs match NRL quality says Cleary

The frustrating thing is that we don't get the full picture from champions vs champions. What would be good to see (and I know it would never happen) is wooden spoon vs wooden spoon.

I know most would say that Wests would demolish Wakefield but it'd be interesting to find out.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Click said:

How is the amount of money, resources, etc a team has access to over a whole season irrelevant? 

YoU pEoPlE AnD yOuR EvIdEnCe! 

Just believe it and it is true : )

1 hour ago, sam4731 said:

The frustrating thing is that we don't get the full picture from champions vs champions. What would be good to see (and I know it would never happen) is wooden spoon vs wooden spoon.

I know most would say that Wests would demolish Wakefield but it'd be interesting to find out.

I don't think anyone would even give Wakefield a shot, and if you did you are fooling yourself. 

9 minutes ago, Hopie said:

YoU pEoPlE AnD yOuR EvIdEnCe! 

Just believe it and it is true : )

What does it mean when you mix up the upper case and lower case letters like that?

• Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, sam4731 said:

That's your wKd KoOl 😛

That's not helped.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 23/02/2024 at 12:58, Coggo said:

4 is pushing it. Saints and Wigan are NRL quality, maybe Catalans too.  

I’d go for that. Catalan need to improve their attack to be competitive. Saints and Wigan would do well… very well. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

What does it mean when you mix up the upper case and lower case letters like that?

It is a little bit of mockery, imitating a conspiracy nut, because I agreed with your post. 

Those suggesting multiple SL teams could regularly beat NRL teams week in week out are living in cloud cuckoo land.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Hopie said:

It is a little bit of mockery, imitating a conspiracy nut, because I agreed with your post. 

Those suggesting multiple SL teams could regularly beat NRL teams week in week out are living in cloud cuckoo land.

Thanks.  It wasn't my post but I appreciate the reply as I have seen it before and I was curious.

19 hours ago, AB90 said:

I thought I was giving Saints & Wigan a huge compliment by saying they would finish 7th to 12th considering they spend less than half the money on player wages than the worse NRL club!

If you objectively look at it player for player, position vs position, talent vs talent (which I feel your not doing) then I think that’s pretty accurate.

This was the full strength Wigan side that won SL in 2023 in order of position- Field, Miski, King, Wardle, Marshall, French, Smith, Byrne, Powell, Ellis, Isa, Farrell, Smithies (Subs: Dupree, Mago, Pearce-Paul, O’Neill)

Now this was the full strength 2023 Parramatta Eels team that came 10th in the NRL in 2023 - Gutherson, Sivo, Simonsson, Penisini, Blake, Brown, Moses, Paulo, Lussick, Campbell-Gillard, Matterson, Lane, Hopgood (Subs: Ofahengaou, Greig, Cartwright, Hands)

Now are we 100% certain that the 2023 Wigan side is more talented than this Eels team? If you think they they are ‘top 4 quality’ then it should be a no contest.

In my opinion from a talent perspective, the 2023 Eels player for player are stronger with the only positions Wigan have the Eels beat is Centre & Hooker and maybe Full Back. Eels are superior in the Middles, Edge Back Rowers, Halves & Wingers.

If you can’t say that 2023 Wigan team are easily better than this 2023 Eels team then I struggle to see how they can be considered ‘too 4 quality’. Melbourne Storm are tipped to finish 5th in 2024 as per the bookies so you are ranking Wigan & Saints above the Storm. 

Uh oh

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, AB90 said:

I thought I was giving Saints & Wigan a huge compliment by saying they would finish 7th to 12th considering they spend less than half the money on player wages than the worse NRL club!

If you objectively look at it player for player, position vs position, talent vs talent (which I feel your not doing) then I think that’s pretty accurate.

This was the full strength Wigan side that won SL in 2023 in order of position- Field, Miski, King, Wardle, Marshall, French, Smith, Byrne, Powell, Ellis, Isa, Farrell, Smithies (Subs: Dupree, Mago, Pearce-Paul, O’Neill)

Now this was the full strength 2023 Parramatta Eels team that came 10th in the NRL in 2023 - Gutherson, Sivo, Simonsson, Penisini, Blake, Brown, Moses, Paulo, Lussick, Campbell-Gillard, Matterson, Lane, Hopgood (Subs: Ofahengaou, Greig, Cartwright, Hands)

Now are we 100% certain that the 2023 Wigan side is more talented than this Eels team? If you think they they are ‘top 4 quality’ then it should be a no contest.

In my opinion from a talent perspective, the 2023 Eels player for player are stronger with the only positions Wigan have the Eels beat is Centre & Hooker and maybe Full Back. Eels are superior in the Middles, Edge Back Rowers, Halves & Wingers.

If you can’t say that 2023 Wigan team are easily better than this 2023 Eels team then I struggle to see how they can be considered ‘too 4 quality’. Melbourne Storm are tipped to finish 5th in 2024 as per the bookies so you are ranking Wigan & Saints above the Storm.

Edited by NRLandSL

39 minutes ago, AB90 said:

Not sure what that’s meant to mean! If anything, that game justifies my position. 

Wigan beating the 3 time NRL champions justifies that they would finish 7-12th in the NRL? 

Makes sense.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, NRLandSL said:

Wigan beating the 3 time NRL champions justifies that they would finish 7-12th in the NRL? 

Makes sense.

What does that make the West Tigers who also beat the 3 time NRL champions in 2023? 

Quote Kris Radlinski two weeks ago when discussing the WCC and the state of SL - ‘3 or 4 teams at the top (of SL) I would say would be mid table NRL standard’. Kris is probably better positioned to comment on this than you or I (clip is on YouTube if your interested).

Your a Roosters supporter - how do see Wigan stacking up to your team? Do you think Wigan are on par with the Roosters squad (not just top 17) from a talent perspective? According to the bookies the Roosters are 4/5 favourites for the title so if Wigan are ‘Top 4 Quality’ this is a team they would likely need to finish above.

I sense your hung up on 12th position so for context, the Newcastle Knights have the 11th best odds to win the NRL premiership in 2024 (according to Sportsbet). Sure, Wigan may be a better team but it’s not an outrageous to suggest that the Knight have just as talented of a team (if not even more talented).

Edited by AB90
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, AB90 said:

What does that make the West Tigers who also beat the 3 time NRL champions in 2023? 

Quote Kris Radlinski two weeks ago when discussing the WCC and the state of SL - ‘3 or 4 teams at the top (of SL) I would say would be mid table NRL standard’. Kris is probably better positioned to comment on this than you or I (clip is on YouTube if your interested).

Your a Roosters supporter - how do see Wigan stacking up to your team? Do you think Wigan are on par with the Roosters squad (not just top 17) from a talent perspective? According to the bookies the Roosters are 4/5 favourites for the title so if Wigan are ‘Top 4 Quality’ this is a team they would likely need to finish above.

I sense your hung up on 12th position so for context, the Newcastle Knights have the 11th best odds to win the NRL premiership in 2024 (according to Sportsbet). Sure, Wigan may be a better team but it’s not an outrageous to suggest that the Knight have just as talented of a team (if not even more talented).

Wigan are one of the best teams in the world, they were before the WCC and they most definitely are now. Your arguments are silly and I’m sure you’re alone in saying Wigan would finish 12th in the NRL. 

• Haha 1