Sat 24th Feb: WCC: Wigan Warriors v Penrith Panthers KO 8pm (Sky/BBC/SuperLeague+)

Who will win?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors by 13 points or more
    • Wigan Warriors by 7 to 12 points
    • Wigan Warriors by 1 to 6 points
    • Penrith Panthers by 1 to 6 points
    • Penrith Panthers by 7 to 12 points
    • Penrith Panthers by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/02/24 at 20:30

44 minutes ago, tuutaisrambo said:

But the ref was from wigan for a game in wigan featuring wigan...........for a world club final.........you see how that doesn't look great?

Playing devils advocate....if you want a try awarded where there's loads of players in the way.......the ref can just send it up as a try and it won't get overturned unless there's obvious proof to the contrary on video..... and vice versa.

It's a stupid rule........ if the ref isn't sure enough to award a try then the video ref should decide..........it should NOT go up to video ref as a 'Try' or 'No try'.........In other words if the ref isn't sure and video evidence isn't there it should never be a try.........Ref's can always just award a try that is debatable straight away based on what they see.......but this way you'd avoid a try being given where there's zero video evidence for it as was the case with Wardle.

Last year's match v St Helens was referred by Ashley Klein. According to Wikipedia, Klein is the son of John Klein, a former Penrith player.

During the match Klein gave a dubious forward pass that Saints would have scored from, he ruled out a drop goal for a dubious obstruction and he gave a Penrith try when Welsby was shouldered from clearing the ball by a non scoring player. 

You see how that doesn't look great?

The difference was, Saints were able to overcome decisions that went against them. Penrith weren't, and their fans have been moaning ever since 

• Like 4

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

I was against Moore being in charge as I didn't want any Wigan win going down the inevitable path it has. If we are to have an English referee then the sensible thing would have been not to have the Wigan born referee and simply avoid this nonsense.

That said these decisions all went up to the video referee who isn't from Wigan and he didn't overturn these decisions and agreed with them. Perhaps people's anger and blame are conveniently being misplaced.

28 minutes ago, Damien said:

I was against Moore being in charge as I didn't want any Wigan win going down the inevitable path it has. If we are to have an English referee then the sensible thing would have been not to have the Wigan born referee and simply avoid this nonsense.

That said these decisions all went up to the video referee who isn't from Wigan and he didn't overturn these decisions and agreed with them. Perhaps people's anger and blame are conveniently being misplaced.

It doesn’t bother me in the slightest as:

1. French was onside so we would have won on any “what if” rewriting of history 

2. we deserved to win: they scored one scrappy and one spawny try and we scored 3/4 well worked ones. We were better in attack and defence and won

3. we will have 5 stars on our shirt and

4. It’s entertaining in this instance to see those so determined to latch onto this do so… it’s basically therapy for most of them

• Like 1

I do think these historic legacy things of announcing the referee's town is a but weird. But let's be honest here, even if he wasn't from Wigan it would be the same as he is from England. 

I didn't personally think Wardle's was a try, but I'm happy to acknowledge that I'm watching from a distance with average camera angles, if the ref with the naked eye, in a better position believes he saw it touch the line, I'm cool with that. It is interesting that when people are being critical of that try they use a photo showing him miles from the line instead of one of the ones that make it look likely to be over the line. It's hard to argue there isn't an agenda in those cases. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Were you supporting Wigan? 

Actually I was an impartial observer.

And if you think French was onside and the pass from Keighran to Miski in the  build up to the first try wasn't a forward then our respective TV's had a different perspective, that's a thought did both the BBC and Sky use the same camera's, I watched on the BBC.

Enough has already been said re Wardles effort.

Edited by Harry Stottle

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

And if you think French was onside and the pass from Keighran to Miski in the  build up to the first try wasn't a forward then our respective TV's had a different perspective, that's a thought did both the BBC and Sky use the same camera's, I watched on the BBC.

I have no interest in your take on the incidents, I simply wanted to double check that you got no joy at all from Wigan’s win. 

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

There nothing wrong with the pass or the Wardle try.  I know that because, as you said to me yesterday, "If they were action would have ensued by the ref." 

• Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Just now, Dunbar said:

There nothing wrong with the pass or the Wardle try.  I know that because, as you said to me yesterday, "If they were action would have ensued by the ref." 

And you also conceded you thought the pass was forward.

Did I really word that sentence as such?

6 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

And you also conceded you thought the pass was forward.

Did I really word that sentence as such?

I asked you yesterday to agree that decisions can be contentious and you stressed that if the ref adjudicated then they weren't contentious.  But now you are going on about refereeing decisions.

And the only difference is the team that was playing.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Let me see if I can clear up your confusion @Harry Stottle

1. You stated that a fantastic night (this game) had been marred by the contentious decisions.

2. I asked you if other occasions had been marred by contentious decisions, I used the Leigh Saints Challenge Cup semi and the contentious decisions around the tackles from John Asiata.

3. You said that they were not contentious because if they were, action would have ensued by the ref.

4. I pointed out the ref gave the decisions in the Wigan Penrith game so they were therefore not contentious either and the game wasn't marred in that case.

It all seems straight forward.  I hope I have cleared things up for you.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 4

Pretty nice reply from the Penrith CEO to Wigan fans who wrote to him:

Replying to the impressed Wigan supporters, Penrith Panthers Rugby League CEO Matt Cameron, wrote: “Firstly, thank you for your kind words about our club and our players and coaches.

“One of our aspirational goals at the Panthers is to be a source of community pride so to see our players transfer that passion to your community is something that we really value.

“Although as Panthers we were disappointed with the result, I think rugby league in the UK was the winner on the night.

“I had the opportunity to be on the sideline as last year’s Grand Final kicked off with 85,000 people at ANZ Stadium but it did not compare to the noise that 24,000 Wigan fans made last night and it was something I will never forget.

“Again thanks for your feedback. In the world we live in today, it’s very easy to catch somebody doing the wrong thing so when we catch them doing the right thing, it makes us very proud.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby-league/wigan-warriors-supporters-receive-classy-response-from-penrith-panthers-following-world-club-challenge-4537414

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1