John Etty RIP

john in oz

97 years young and one of only 6 players in history to have winners medals from all 6 RL competitions during the single league era (challenge cup, championship play off, Lancashire league and cup, Yorkshire league and cup)

Success followed him wherever he went.

Shame he never came to Rochdale.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Bert Street said:

Don Vines possibly another?

I don't think he had a 'full set' of trophies. Then again, I could be wrong.

On 03/03/2024 at 03:40, john in oz said:

I was privileged to see him play in that illustrious team of the 1950s.

I too saw him play in that illustrious team otherwise known, the world over, as 'Ganley's Lads'.

And what a Team that was.  Never to be repeated in Oldham's colours and never to be forgotten.

Sad news indeed.

• Like 2

Apologies…only five including John.  The other four are Ted Slevin (wigan and huddersfield), Alan Edwards ( Salford and Bradford), Aubrey Casewell (salford and leeds) and Oldhams own Derek Turner (Oldham and Wakefield).

Of course John Ettys trophy haul was with Oldham and Wakefield. He didnt win trophies/ medals during the first 11 years of his career at Batley. Uniquely the medals hauls of Etty and Turner where as members of the same teams. Etty joined Oldham from Batley in 1955 and moved to Trinity in 1958. Turner also joined Oldham in 1955 from Hull KR and moved to Trinity in 1959.

Two peas in a pod.

• Like 3

Don Vines was the 6th and final member of the unique club of the winners of all 6 cups. He achieved this when he left Oldham and joined the very successful Wakefield team of the early 60s. I was lucky enough to meet John Etty, who was very friendly and unbelievably modest. RIP

• Thanks 1

Yes you are right….Vines was a sixth, the third of those six snapped up by Wakefield from  Oldham…….amazing.

at least Trinity never got their hands on Ganley….they couldnt afford him!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

My Dad used to take my older sister to Watersheddings during the Ganley era and she was a big fan of John. When she and her family moved to Fleetwood several years ago she got to know John and his wife quite well and has often commented on what a lovely, friendly man he was. Very sad news.

• Like 1