Halifax at home.

Hooray it’s the start of the league season and first up is Halifax. We will need to improve hell of a lot to what we’ve seen against Keighley,Bradford and York to get anything from this game. I’ve heard over the weekend that Huddersfield are sending some players our way,as we will be without Ronan Dixon and Paul Sykes I think we’ll need them. As we’ve all seen on another post everyone is tipping us to finish bottom and what I’ve seen so far I can’t argue with that. 

Rams 10

Halifax 28

FTS Whiteley

MOM O’Connor 

ATT who knows.

Yes looks like 2-3 wins all season unless Ferguson/March can inject some tactics into our 22 attack. 3 games 3 tries won't win any matches. Predict Ferguson resigns mid-season and March takes over but too late to avoid relegation. 

• Sad 1

Halifax are claiming to have an injury crisis with only 20 players available and hoping for DR reinforcements. Add to that a decidedly soft ground, which might be a bit of a leveller, and we could do better than we fear.

There has been talk of players from Huddersfield but I can't see any being fitted in at short notice so Sykes and Dixon will be missed. Will others step up into their shoes?

Dewsbury 10 - 26 Halifax

FTS Whiteley

Att: 1125

• Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Fax are indeed down to 20 players already. Crooks, O'Brien and Calcott all ruled out with long term injuries from the Hammersmith game! 🙄 I for one though aren't hoping for DR from Leeds or anywhere else. As for the match which i've been looking forward to since the fixtures came out, i've just heard that there's no concession price. Is that correct? 🤔 

35 minutes ago, Ovenden Grunt said:

Fax are indeed down to 20 players already. Crooks, O'Brien and Calcott all ruled out with long term injuries from the Hammersmith game! 🙄 I for one though aren't hoping for DR from Leeds or anywhere else. As for the match which i've been looking forward to since the fixtures came out, i've just heard that there's no concession price. Is that correct? 🤔 

It is.  Everyone watching us is so old Concessions made no sense .......

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Dewsbury 6-36 Halifax

Try scorer: Beckett

MoM: Davies

Att: 949

Unless March in these early stages with us, has managed to gel the team into some attacking ideas, I can’t see us scoring many tries until our players have had some time with him, hence my score prediction. It might take a bit of time, it’s a long season, so not too bothered at the moment.

Legs, Dews, Legs.

Was a bit worried about yesterday after the pre-season outings, but we competed well for much of the match, and with a bit more composure / luck we could have won. 

Few thoughts from me:-

• Backs all played well, liked Restall last year, so hope he can get back in, but not sure where O'Connor then fits (maybe right centre)
  • Hookem had his best game for us, but I still think he's a hooker, rather than a half-back
  • We look so mire threatening when Turner kicks, especially in the attacking third of the pitch, not sure why we stopped that until yesterday, when we could easily have had 3 tries from kicks
  • Rush looked good, unlucky with his chip over the top, which bounced on and on, when all other kicks had stopped in the mud, that was a certain try if it had of stopped
  • We missed Dixon yesterday, think his go forward would have made a real difference, especially from the bench, at the moment, we don't get any oommmpphh from bench changes
  • Sadly, we had a 15 minute spell where we lost rhythm, and gave away too many penalties, that let them escape their own line, when we went down to 12 players, it was all over with their two quick tries
  • Couldn't fault the effort from the 3 giants, certainly gave their all

My changes for Batley would be (assuming everyone fit):-

• Restall to full back, O'Connor in the centre
  • Rush starts at scrum half, Hookem to impact hooker (like Sam Day used to be)
  • Dixon on the bench in place of one of the props
  • If Graham is fit, him back to second row
  • Sykes can always do a job, and is utility enough to cover lots of places, worth a place on the bench maybe?????

What did everyone else think? Ultimately, we need to try and get a couple of 'surprise' wins at home against the middle ranked teams (Batley, Sheffield, York & Halifax), but the big matches are the Cumbria, Swinton and Doncaster ones this year. Win against them and we will be okay. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, thehullram said:

Was a bit worried about yesterday after the pre-season outings, but we competed well for much of the match, and with a bit more composure / luck we could have won. 

• Backs all played well, liked Restall last year, so hope he can get back in, but not sure where O'Connor then fits (maybe right centre)
  • Hookem had his best game for us, but I still think he's a hooker, rather than a half-back
  • We look so mire threatening when Turner kicks, especially in the attacking third of the pitch, not sure why we stopped that until yesterday, when we could easily have had 3 tries from kicks
  • Rush looked good, unlucky with his chip over the top, which bounced on and on, when all other kicks had stopped in the mud, that was a certain try if it had of stopped
  • We missed Dixon yesterday, think his go forward would have made a real difference, especially from the bench, at the moment, we don't get any oommmpphh from bench changes
  • Sadly, we had a 15 minute spell where we lost rhythm, and gave away too many penalties, that let them escape their own line, when we went down to 12 players, it was all over with their two quick tries

• Sykes can always do a job, and is utility enough to cover lots of places, worth a place on the bench maybe?????

What did everyone else think? Ultimately, we need to try and get a couple of 'surprise' wins at home against the middle ranked teams (Batley, Sheffield, York & Halifax), but the big matches are the Cumbria, Swinton and Doncaster ones this year. Win against them and we will be okay. 

All good points.

If we can get Rush on a long-term loan then we can certainly look to restructure the halfs. I believe that Graham will be out for a couple of weeks, otherwise I would like to see him back. We seem to lack a real leader on the pitch and Restall is worth a recall for his vocal abilities as well as backing up, which could have paid off yesterday.

Is Turner a stand off though? Mind you I struggle to recall when we last had a proper stand off (and don't get me going about loose forwards!). Sykes should be used more as a utility nowadays, as you suggest. It will be tricky whittling the squad down to the best 17 when the time comes.

• Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

The highlights (from the halifax point of view ) are on you tube.

The kick out by fairbank that was given as a sin bin, looks like a straight red, appear to look at the dewsbury tackler and then kick him straight in the face.

The disallowed whiteley try, given as an penalty for obstruction was a poor read on the halifax player behalf ,  greensmith never ran into anyone.

Attended. Thought Fax were very poor and in need of a total revamp. Most players been there too long. We need to believe more. We can and will put out a stronger 17. Like Fergy stated we are not here to lose. Time for EVERYONE to fight for a place in the 17. We require a total trustworthy 17. Strong bench etc. That’s it for now as I don’t want to get into individual players. We missed some toughness and punch yesterday!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, thehullram said:

For me O’Connor would be wasted in the centre. Better at full back for catch pass and link up play. Restall on wing coming out of yardage etc. Played there at Oldham. He has not yet mastered the full back portfolio in relation to link up play. Most teams have a good link in full back re offensive plays.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, horbury ram said:

The highlights (from the halifax point of view ) are on you tube.

The kick out by fairbank that was given as a sin bin, looks like a straight red, appear to look at the dewsbury tackler and then kick him straight in the face.

The disallowed whiteley try, given as an penalty for obstruction was a poor read on the halifax player behalf ,  greensmith never ran into anyone.

Agree re Fairbank. I was too far away at the game to make a call on it. Watched in on YouTube today and it was definitely a deliberate act. Also to be fair I was very near to the incident when Widdop was put on report for catching O’Conner in the face with his leg/knee. That was 100% an accident and nothing malicious in it at all.

I thought that Halifax were little better than us. They probably caught us out with their quicker passing along the line and running onto the ball. Our style appears to be to pass at a slower pace, sometimes passing for the sake of it. We have individuals keen to force their way through, but nobody to back up that individual to force an error by our opponents.

• Like 1
Legs, Dews, Legs.

I thought we played well.

We lack grunt through the middle and an experienced leading hand on the pitch talking & driving us through the game. I know Sykes is an experienced guy but he doesn’t play that ‘director’ part.

Loads of improvement and we were second best, but not by much.

• Like 1

Feel very encouraged by that performance, we didn't look like relegation fodder for once.

Thought Turner, Carr and Hird had their best games so far this year and the three Huddersfield lads all put a good shift in.

Hope Cas give Batley a good going over on Saturday and we might be in with a chance on Good Friday.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 18/03/2024 at 09:46, thehullram said:

I thought the decision to play our best try scorer at 18 and one of our more creative players out of the way at FB ensured our prolific early season try scoring continued into the league unabated …😜

Bailey at 4, Owen at FB is no brainer for me   

PS.  Will be surprised if Doncaster don’t finish in the top half come September 

Edited by NickD
  • Like 1

We haven’t managed to score more than 14 points in a game so far this season and Restall was our biggest attacking threat last season.

So agree on the above. I would hope to see him back in the team for Batley match.

Edited by Rambo
  • Like 1
rambo.gif

3 hours ago, Rambo said:

We haven’t managed to score more than 14 points in a game so far this season and Restall was our biggest attacking threat last season.

So agree on the above. I would hope to see him back in the team for Batley match.

He is returning from an injury, remember, so may not have been fully fit.

It is a change though to be discussing which of our various options we should select. I believe there is still a discussion around the forwards and whether our veteran goalkicker is worthy of selection and, if so, where.

18 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

He is returning from an injury, remember, so may not have been fully fit.

It is a change though to be discussing which of our various options we should select. I believe there is still a discussion around the forwards and whether our veteran goalkicker is worthy of selection and, if so, where.

No injuries apparently.  Rather depressingly he simply wasn’t picked.