List of Rugby League towns

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Aye but would you play it in a terraced street? Broken widows?

Or women who still have their husbands alive.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

3 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Shouldn't a Giants fan support the Terriers?

He despises them 'dog botherers' as do most Leeds fans who live in Huddersfield.

Edited by daz39
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

What so Leeds united sports teams sing MOT too? 

Like the netball and union sides etc?

Yes I worked at Leeds university they sang it for their ru sides and other sports I've heard them . Especially in their post game drinks in Original Oak in Headingley 

• Like 1

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

1 hour ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

What would your mate do if he heard students from university of Leeds singing " marching on together " when their teams are playing ? And not only football, because they do you know . By the way what is his connection the Giants and not Town and Leeds united ?

His Father was a massive Fartown fan so he followed his Father's allegiance, i'm not quite sure how the LUFC came, i presume he just started following them as his mates did unless his dad was also a Leeds fans, not really sure if he was though, i never heard him (dad) talk about them.

To be honest it wasn't uncommon growing up in Huddersfield in the 80's to know more fans of other clubs, mainly Leeds, Wednesday, Liverpool, Man Utd than Huddersfield Town fans, they never really had a big fan base around the town as they do now, in fact, as now still, HTFC probably draw more fans from the Wakefield/Heavy Woollen area as they do from Huddersfield itself.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SouthBedfordshireFan said:

How do I tag multiple people here?

I intend to create a discussion post in the non-RL section of this forum regarding so please participate there.

Because I want to focus this post on those settlements that have or had a distinctive RL feel to them regardless if they are considered cities or not.

I bring this up that while yes that having a cathedral has historically conferred city status to a place and the status of royal charters does so too how does one categorise cities elsewhere especially countries and locations without a royal family or the minimal presence of Christianity?

Hope to hear from you all soon.

York has a big cathedral, a few good amateur clubs, a good pro mens and womens club, and it's got a city wall. York wins.

• Like 1

On 14/04/2024 at 11:09, HawkMan said:

People on here support both sports, including an esteemed poster from Leigh, no name no pack drill, who I suspect is a closet Bolton Wanderers fan....er maybe.

Esteemed? I’m having that one 😂 I have an extended group of about 15 BWFC season ticket holders, all of whom have RL loyalties split between Leigh, Wigan and Warrington. Frequently see RL gear at games, including the English, Irish and Scottish variations of the fabled RLWC21 hats the other week.

On 14/04/2024 at 13:13, Damien said:

Additionally it has always amazed me how many Latics fans are from St Helens, including ardent Saints RL fans. These things aren't always as they seem.

Very much a relic of the poor relationship between Latics and Warriors. I used to witness it on a daily basis and the whole thing is beyond weird. Born and bred Wiganers supporting Saints because their dad had a gripe about Maurice Lindsay. 

Edited by Leyther_Matt

3 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Very much a relic of the poor relationship between Latics and Warriors. I used to witness it on a daily basis and the whole thing is beyond weird. Born and bred Wiganers supporting Saints because their dad had a gripe about Maurice Lindsay. 

No, I am talking about people from St Helens.

The people you refer to aren't rugby fans, they are Football fans that hate rugby and Wigan rugby.

3 minutes ago, Damien said:

No, I am talking about people from St Helens.

The people you refer to aren't rugby fans, they are Football fans that hate rugby and Wigan rugby.

And the ones from St Helens find it much easier to support a Wigan team when that team sings about hating Wigan rugby (genuinely). I saw both sides of it on a daily basis for a decade and still didn’t get my head around it. 

7 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

And the ones from St Helens find it much easier to support a Wigan team when that team sings about hating Wigan rugby (genuinely). I saw both sides of it on a daily basis for a decade and still didn’t get my head around it. 

I don't think that's the case at all and is certainly not the impression I have got. Someone from St Helens has to somehow go and watch a Latics game for this to be the case. This has been going on for decades, long before Latics have been on TV or the JJB Stadium days.

10 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Esteemed? I’m having that one 😂 I have an extended group of about 15 BWFC season ticket holders, all of whom have RL loyalties split between Leigh, Wigan and Warrington. Frequently see RL gear at games, including the English, Irish and Scottish variations of the fabled RLWC21 hats the other week.

Even our lot at the Giants has a Bolton fan amongst us!

Piece on Sky Sports News this morning,  7, 500 record attendance at Newcastle Kingston  Park, owners putting money in, team on the up, crowned tier three champs... Newcastle United Ladies...oh.

Saudis presumably aware of other codes at the venue?

16 hours ago, Damien said:

Not recent at all, I remember being amazed when I first met people like this at College and School in the 80s and 90s.

At my age the 90s counts as relatively recent!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Damien said:

I don't think that's the case at all and is certainly not the impression I have got. Someone from St Helens has to somehow go and watch a Latics game for this to be the case. This has been going on for decades, long before Latics have been on TV or the JJB Stadium days.

Like I posted previously, I had more 10 years of day to day experience of it from 2004-2015 and the Saints/Latics crossover absolutely wasn’t an accident. 

2 hours ago, daz39 said:

Even our lot at the Giants has a Bolton fan amongst us!

I know, I was boozing with him after the game on Saturday 🤣

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Like I posted previously, I had more 10 years of day to day experience of it from 2004-2015 and the Saints/Latics crossover absolutely wasn’t an accident. 

It doesn't tally with a single Latics fan from St Helens that I've met. Bitter Latics fans moaning about Wigan Rugby, to a Leigh fan in a bitching session, doesn't explain why such people follow Latics in the first place and have done so for decades. Yeah sure they may enjoy that when they are there but it's not why they went in the first place, no one is spending a lot of money every other week just to chant anti Wigan RL songs 20+ times a year. Almost every one I have met does so because it was passed down from father to son, and before anything to do with Maurice Lindsay or the JJB, or because it was a handiest professional team to go to whether in the lower leagues or Premier League.

It's like you saying born and bred Wiganers support Saints. Again bar bitter Latics fans on a wind up, who don't even like Rugby and simply detest Wigan Rugby out of jealousy, or those who have ties to St Helens it isn't a thing. Wigan born Rugby fans don't do that.

Plenty of Wiganers support both clubs and I used to often watch Latics at Springfield Park. I still look out for their results but certainly don't support them as I did now though due to the past hassle with the stadium and the attitude of Latics fans.